Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Thanks for all the responses! To answer a couple of the responses.

Yes the machine is one of the old, black, heavy machines.

The material is uncoated 1.9oz ripstop.

I have the manual and confident the threading and needle is installed correctly (flat side to the left).

The tread is breaking at the needle.

I have only used brand new needles size 10-16

I have decent success (1-2") when I turn the wheel by hand, but it does take a considerable about of pressure.

When I pull on the thread the needle is deflected a great deal. I would be concerned about breaking the needle. The thread is in between the disks but I can not adjust the disks to be free and easy to pull the thread. I think the adjustment spring is not the correct one. I will try skipping the disks and go straight to the spring and see if that at least stops breaking the thread.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image26.htm

I may be able to lengthen the shaft (N) in the link above or reduce spring pressure. I also noticed it is skipping stitches too.
    Last edited by jmudler; 09-10-2008 at 15:22.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmudler View Post

I have decent success (1-2") when I turn the wheel by hand, but it does take a considerable about of pressure.

When I pull on the thread the needle is deflected a great deal. I would be concerned about breaking the needle. The thread is in between the disks but I can not adjust the disks to be free and easy to pull the thread. I think the adjustment spring is not the correct one. I will try skipping the disks and go straight to the spring and see if that at least stops breaking the thread.

Your machine needs to be seen by a professional repairman for adjustment and oiling.

When you pull the thread through the needle, the needle MAY be deflected slightly, usually no deflection and never by a large amount as you describe. As Spock wrote, the thread is being jammed somewhere. DO NOT by-pass the tension disks.

Turning the wheel by hand should be easy and not hard unless you are forcing it through very, very heavy material.

Again, your machine needs to be seen by a professional repairman for adjustment and oiling.

Also, ask the repairman to quickly go over operation with you. They can point out a lot of hints that make operating the machine easier and better.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    lift your presser foot and try to pull the thread, is it loose?
    if not the tensioning mechanism is the problem.
    if you loosen the tension, even with the foot down, you should be able to pull the thread with some resistance, with the foot up no resistance should be felt at all.
    I second a tune-up.
    did you try oiling the machine?, if not it will be included in the tune-up.

good luck, I have about the same model as you, built like a tank
    with a little fine tuning it should run like a charm.
    FRED

Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Yes I performed a full lube job with singer products. I am not trying to sound arrogant, but this is the first mechanical thing I have not been able to fix. I have one last thing to check and if it doesnt work I have a repair shop who also has classes around the corner.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    as long as the timing is good those machines are reasonably easy to maintain. Not sure how hard the timing is to adjust. My wife always took care of that on her older machines. She was sewing professionally and couldn't afford to be down the machine. She got real good at it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmudler View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! To answer a couple of the responses.

Yes the machine is one of the old, black, heavy machines.

The material is uncoated 1.9oz ripstop.

I have the manual and confident the threading and needle is installed correctly (flat side to the left).

The tread is breaking at the needle.

I have only used brand new needles size 10-16

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image26.htm

I may be able to lengthen the shaft (N) in the link above or reduce spring pressure. I also noticed it is skipping stitches too.
    It will skip stitches if the tension is not correct. This I know from experience.

Don't you have a tension release bar, to raise the presser foot? If you raise the presser foot it should relieve the tension on the thread between the disks. If you then pull on the thread, it should pull freely. If not, your issue is in the thread tension. From there, it is repairman time.

One more thing. Your machine should sew through 16 layers of 1.9 oz silnylon or as much fabric of any kind that will fit under the presser foot. Four layers is nothing.

Your description contains 2 separate issues - the thread and the difficulty in turning. The machine should break the thread and still turn reasonably easily - if you are using polyester thread. The difficulty turning sounds more and more like a lubrication problem either in the top unit or the bottom unit. You have to take the machine apart to get to all the lube points requiring grease rather than oil.

Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    One more thing. Your machine should sew through 16 layers of 1.9 oz silnylon or as much fabric of any kind that will fit under the presser foot. Four layers is nothing.

Your description contains 2 separate issues - the thread and the difficulty in turning. The machine should break the thread and still turn reasonably easily - if you are using polyester thread. The difficulty turning sounds more and more like a lubrication problem either in the top unit or the bottom unit. You have to take the machine apart to get to all the lube points requiring grease rather than oil.
    Without the threading the machine it turns smooth as butter. Do to family obligations I have not had a chance to touch the machine since last weekend. I will try the suggestions posted and If I am still having trouble I will take it to the repair shop.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your issue sounds exactly like what mine was doing when I had the needle in backwards. Might be worth switching it just to see.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I broke my first needle the other day. No idea what happened. I don't think I did anything I hadn't done before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast