Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Hammock Video Tutorials Discussion

There has been some talk in the Newbie Thread about trying to produce some hammock related video tutorials. I, for one, think this is a great idea and think it might really help people make the jump into hammocking.

I would really like to try and do something like this so I thought this thread would be a good place to hash out the details and get some feedback.

First off, I would like to get a list of people who want to help with this project. This can be someone who would be willing to either film the tutorial or demonstrate on film. If you can help out in some other way, please let me know.

We will also need the use of some video equipment. A video camera that records to some sort of digital format/media (cameras that record to a hard drive or DVD) would be great. That way the video could be transferred directly to a PC for editing. My parents do have a video recorder, but it uses the 8mm tape for recording. This means that the video would have to be transferred to a disc since I am currently without a video capture device. We can work with whatever is available.

I am looking to try and follow a few criteria in making these videos.

1.)Short and simple. I want to keep these video short, no more than a minute or 2 for most of them

2.) Newbie friendly. These video are being made for those who may have some questions or just curious about hammock camping and probably know nothing about hammocks. I don't want to include a lot of jargon or technical information that may overload whoever is watching the video.

3.)I also want to show pretty much stock gear: unmodded retail production hammocks, stock tarps and support lines, etc. I'm not saying DIY hammocks can't be used or shown, but, for example, if we are showing how to setup a HH it needs to be the same HH that they can go and buy.

The logistics of doing something like this is the biggest problem I can see. Since everyone is scattered out we would have to form small groups or plan a gathering where several of us can come together and work on shooting these videos. I had suggested Trail Days since there will probably be a few of us there (I don't know if I can make it yet.) as well as a variety of gear.

Here are some examples of tutorial I had in mind:

Hammock Basics:
    This is intro course to a hammocks that will basically just show you the different parts of the hammock: hammock body, whipping knots, tarps ridgeline, support lines in their different forms, etc..

Setting up a Hammock:
    Show how to set up hammocks like the Hennessy as well as Speer and DIY Speer types. Basically everything from removing the hammock from your stuff sack, how snake skins works, picking trees, using treehuggers, webbing straps, or Spectra line, knots, etc

Underquilt Installation:
    As was stated before, Pan and/or Smee would be the only one(s) that I would want doing a video tutorial on underquilt installation and adjustment. Pan or Smee, please let us know if you would like to do something like this.

How To Make a Hammock:

Video showing how to roll hem, tie knots, whip knots, wire ties, adding and adjusting a ridgeline

EDIT:

Gear Storage and Gear Hammocks:

Techniques for stowing your gear

Dealing with the elements
    Techniques for staying dry in wet weather.

These are just a few examples. If you have ideas for other videos, list them in this thread as well as the details that would be covered.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-26-2007 at 08:54.

IMO I think Ed Speer would be willing to help out. After all he does hammock camping groups for new and old hammockers. I never made it to one of those either.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I also plan to host the videos on You Tube. You an still embed the videos into forum threads and it would also give people a place to go to see all the videos at once. You Tube is also free so there would be no extra cost.

If anyone sees a problem with this please let me know.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'll volunteer to demonstrate any DIY-related stuff. Specifically mentioned were how to make a hammock and how to set up a DIY or Speer-type.

Showing the use of alternate suspension systems would be good too, I think. Also, some mention of using a homemade hammock with and without a ridgeline might be helpful.

I'm definitely not the most experienced guy here with any of this stuff - I'd recommend Jeff, personally - but I have some time to put into the project, which other may not.

As far as underquilts go, someone may want to contact Patrick of KAQ about a demo on his, too. I haven't hung a JRB quilt underneath yet, but it seems from looking at the designs that the two styles are probably very different when it comes to getting them fitted.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    IMO I think Ed Speer would be willing to help out. After all he does hammock camping groups for new and old hammockers. I never made it to one of those either.
    Doesn't Ed have one of his hammock campouts during the spring?

Images

Thumbs up Yeah let make a PLAN!!!

Excellent Idea!

I sure am glad that some people have been giving this a voice and that it has come to this point. Now I hope that it does not die here as so many things in general do.

Those things being said, I have a camera (digital of course) that allows me to record short blurbs in a video format. I'll do some checking to see what is possible on the cards I have in house. It is an older Fuji camera and the newer 1GB (Xm Cards or mX Cards) cards work for pictures but their is something different in the format that does not allow me to use these cards for videos.

I would suggest that at this point especially if we can get the 'Jacks' to agree, that we all take a look at doing this project as a part of or during Trail Days in May in Damascus. In that way we could also include Tom Hennessey, Ed Speers and any of the other current Hammock vendors or aftermarket vendors to participate. This gives us maximum coverage of various types of lashup with the other than DIY stuff.

My only problem, and it really is a small problem in comparison to many, is that I am hiking this year and should be well north of Damascus along with my camera at that time. I leave Michigan here March 11 spend the night with Josh and Leigh and then get dropped on the trail March 12. Given that TDZ begins roughly 66 days after my start, I should be somewhere in the middle of Virginia (worst case I average 10 miles per day, that in theory puts me somewhere near Tinker Cliffs or best case up in the Shenandoahs somewhere.

Of course, I am willing to do this if I can get a ride back and forth from wherever I am.

Let me do some numbers crunching to see what amount of video I can record on each card (X-Card Memory Cards) and get back with everyone. Then maybe we thru some method can work out how to get me back to TDZ. If there are any others out there who have a digital camera with these same capabilities and is not hiking the trail but is planning on making TDZ then maybe it might be better for you to take this project on. Either way so long as we move forward with a plan we are destined for success.

Right now there are a lot of variables of which I have some control over and will do my best to not falter but who knows what will be my fate when I hit the trail in 30 some days.

TOG

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Doesn't Ed have one of his hammock campouts during the spring?

yes he does. I believe it is in April 14-15. I will be doing all of the AT in Ga then

Images
    Okay they are xD Cards and I have two 128MB and one 256 MB cards. The larger card empty gives me 7 minutes 12 seconds of record time. The two smaller cards give me 3 minutes 39 seconds each. These cards are getting cheaper and cheaper and I had thought of purchasing a couple more before I leave.

I hope this gives someone some ideas to check out their own cameras and their capabilities.

Oh the camera is a Fujifilm S5000 at the time it was the best available digital camera which did not cost an arm and both legs (not a Professional Digital Camera, think Canon, Minolta, etc.) which did not have distortion issues at the higher resolutions like many of it's day did around the outer edges.

TOG

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A camera would probably work fine but they are going to give kinda crappy video. I would like to find something that takes good video to start with because once I started editing, changing resolution or aspect ratio, re-encoding, or any other thing that needs to be done to get a video on the web, the quality goes down.

If we start with good source video we should end up with decent results by they time they are ready to go up on the web.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Grey View Post

I would suggest that at this point especially if we can get the 'Jacks' to agree, that we all take a look at doing this project as a part of or during Trail Days in May in Damascus. In that way we could also include Tom Hennessey, Ed Speers and any of the other current Hammock vendors or aftermarket vendors to participate. This gives us maximum coverage of various types of lashup with the other than DIY stuff.
    I kinda had the same thought. Perhaps someone who knows Tom Hennessy and/or Ed Speer could contact them, tell them what we are planning to do, and see if they might be interested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast