Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Hammock Video Tutorials Discussion

There has been some talk in the Newbie Thread about trying to produce some hammock related video tutorials. I, for one, think this is a great idea and think it might really help people make the jump into hammocking.

I would really like to try and do something like this so I thought this thread would be a good place to hash out the details and get some feedback.

First off, I would like to get a list of people who want to help with this project. This can be someone who would be willing to either film the tutorial or demonstrate on film. If you can help out in some other way, please let me know.

We will also need the use of some video equipment. A video camera that records to some sort of digital format/media (cameras that record to a hard drive or DVD) would be great. That way the video could be transferred directly to a PC for editing. My parents do have a video recorder, but it uses the 8mm tape for recording. This means that the video would have to be transferred to a disc since I am currently without a video capture device. We can work with whatever is available.

I am looking to try and follow a few criteria in making these videos.

1.)Short and simple. I want to keep these video short, no more than a minute or 2 for most of them

2.) Newbie friendly. These video are being made for those who may have some questions or just curious about hammock camping and probably know nothing about hammocks. I don't want to include a lot of jargon or technical information that may overload whoever is watching the video.

3.)I also want to show pretty much stock gear: unmodded retail production hammocks, stock tarps and support lines, etc. I'm not saying DIY hammocks can't be used or shown, but, for example, if we are showing how to setup a HH it needs to be the same HH that they can go and buy.

The logistics of doing something like this is the biggest problem I can see. Since everyone is scattered out we would have to form small groups or plan a gathering where several of us can come together and work on shooting these videos. I had suggested Trail Days since there will probably be a few of us there (I don't know if I can make it yet.) as well as a variety of gear.

Here are some examples of tutorial I had in mind:

Hammock Basics:
    This is intro course to a hammocks that will basically just show you the different parts of the hammock: hammock body, whipping knots, tarps ridgeline, support lines in their different forms, etc..

Setting up a Hammock:
    Show how to set up hammocks like the Hennessy as well as Speer and DIY Speer types. Basically everything from removing the hammock from your stuff sack, how snake skins works, picking trees, using treehuggers, webbing straps, or Spectra line, knots, etc

Underquilt Installation:
    As was stated before, Pan and/or Smee would be the only one(s) that I would want doing a video tutorial on underquilt installation and adjustment. Pan or Smee, please let us know if you would like to do something like this.

How To Make a Hammock:

Video showing how to roll hem, tie knots, whip knots, wire ties, adding and adjusting a ridgeline

EDIT:

Gear Storage and Gear Hammocks:

Techniques for stowing your gear

Dealing with the elements
    Techniques for staying dry in wet weather.

These are just a few examples. If you have ideas for other videos, list them in this thread as well as the details that would be covered.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-26-2007 at 08:54.

• + New Posts