I've recently become interested in hammock camping from my motorcycle. As usual, I dove in head first. I ordered a Hennessy and have napped in it a few times, but haven't camped yet. I've researched a ton and decided I'd try to make a couple DIY's for the back yard, loosely modeled after the Hennessy, and a multitude of others I've seen on the forums. Here's my first attempt...

Ripstop from Walmart. No idea what weight. It is not coated and breathes. Believe it or not, I found some navy blue coated Silnylon at my local Walmart the day after I bought material to make my first one. i'm going to use it to make another one and a tarp eventually. I have lots of paracord, some climbing carabiners and webbing on hand, so I used that on my first one rather than going shopping. I teach Rope Rescue Systems for the fire service so I know a little about knots. I used double loop 550 cord with double overhand on a bite loops with 400lb mini carabiners on the inside of the whipping. I used 550 cord with a bootlace tied around it in a Prusik knot for an adjustable ridgeline. I also had some mosquito netting so I cut it out and hand sewed some seams and loops to hang it. It is completely removable and I will be weighting it to keep it draped when needed. The ridgeline runs through the rings on the mosquito netting. Using materials I had on hand, and buying only material, so far I have enough supplies to make two lightweight hammacks and one waterproof hammock and tarp, for a total cost of around $25. Big thank you to the kid in Mountain High Outfitters on hwy 280, Birmingham Alabama. I didn't buy the Hennessy there because it was $200. Ordered on Amazon.com for $126, free shipping. But, the kid suggested I DIY it. Not a great sales tactic, but his willingness to help a noob guaranteed I'll shop there again for gear I can't make myself. Thanks bro!