Hennessy Hammock Exp Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Thermarest NeoAir
    Suspension
    HH Straps

Newbie First Hang

Well, I survived my first "hang" on Salt Spring Island, one of the Gulf Islands here in BC. The campground I chose, Garden Faire, was really nice - not your typical grasslands, but instead filled with many tall cedars and each campsite was different and quite secluded. I was lucky because I brought both of my tree huggers with me (72's and stock size that came with the Hennessy Exped Asym Zip), as the trees were huge! They both backed onto a hill, so that was a bit tricky getting the huggers up. I put up the big rainfly and used the smaller one to cover my bike and trailer (sap and bird poop, etc.) and found that my back felt great, which was good, because I didn't get into the Chiropractor before I left. I did, however, experience a very cold head/shoulders because I didn't account for being on a hill and having wind coming up to the sides. I should've staked the rainfly closer to underneath the hammock and then used a guy line to have it pulled out a bit away from the hammock for breathability. I also left the other side of the rainfly open and should've closed it down. The first night, I wasn't quite used to it and trying to get comfortable sleeping slightly sideways, etc. I also had the head end of the hammock slip about 5" through the night (my bad, I didn't tie off on a slip knot properly). The next morning, I remedied that problem and found that I was much more comfortable with my head not lower than my feet, but still got a cold head/shoulders. My NeoAir Thermarest mummy pad worked great - I only partially inflated it and with it having mylar in the centre, it kept my back very warm. I was actually warm in it, except for the head/shoulders. I am now looking for a lightweight, packable goose down mummy bag.

Oh yah, I used the caribiner plus 2 rapel rings and they did work great!!

I have to say my experience with my Hennessy Hammock was very positive and I loved it - I will definitely be using it as my go-to camping shelter and wish I could have it hung up in my house.

I can't figure out how to add photos from my blog, so here's a link to it (day one), which has the photo gallery that shows my set up. http://grandmacyclist.com/tours/?p=550

Thanks so much for having this forum - it's great!!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report for your first trip out.

To solve the cold head problem, most people wear an insulated hat of some sort to sleep in. A wool hat is popular choice as is the BlackRock Down Hat.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Exp Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    Thermarest NeoAir
    Suspension
    HH Straps

Awesome!!

Thank you so much Brian!! I am ordering one for myself and my husband (he tents, but it gets cold where he goes fly fishing sometimes).

Tracey

• + New Posts