Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seeking Opinions.

Hey all,

I am new to the whole hammock camping thing. I am looking to get some gear and I have a couple setups in mind. I just wanted to get your opinions on what might be the better option.

Warbonnet Setup
    Hammock: Traveler Double Layer 1.7oz (Olive Green)
    Suspension: Adjustable webbing
    Tarp: Mamajamba w/panel pulls - Silnylon (Olive Brown)
    Netting: Travel Net

ENO Setup (OneLink w/SingleNest)
    Hammock: SingleNest
    Suspension: Atlas Straps (Hopefully not nylon)
    Tarp: ProFly
    Netting: Guardian BugNet

Hennesy Hammock Setup
    Hammock: Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Suspension: 96" Webbing Straps
    Tarp: Hex Rainfly 70D Polyester
    Netting: Attached (Non-Removable)

First, is there anything that I should change in any of these setups?

Second, which would you recommend? Feel free to go "off the board" and suggest something else completely, I'm all ears at this point.

I'm assuming that Warbonnet is the way to go, from what I have read, but I wanted to make sure in case I missed something.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Car camping, backpacking... is weight a concern? If you think weight is going to be an issue, go light now.

I don't see any bottom insulation listed, does that mean you'll be using a pad? In that case the WB double layer would be best (my guess, having never seen one in the wild). My first hammock was the HH Hyperlight (bottom entry), I quickly added an undercover and a pad.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by 1EagleEye1 View Post
    Hey all,

I am new to the whole hammock camping thing. I am looking to get some gear . . .

Feel free to go "off the board" and suggest something else completely, I'm all ears at this point.
    I don't normally step in when other choices are being made,
    But I looked at those when I was entering into this as well,
    I won't suggest bad things about your posted choices . . .

. . . but you did ask for other ideas.

Clark is my choice NX250, and that is after much contiplation a couple of years ago.
    Love my choice. (actually the nx150, but a bit bigger would be the new choice)
    And as many folks here may disagree, and even have one or all of your posted choices,
    I personaly would not choose anything else.
    Just thought to mention incase you hadn't noticed Clark Jungle Hammocks
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Car camping, backpacking... is weight a concern? If you think weight is going to be an issue, go light now.

I don't see any bottom insulation listed, does that mean you'll be using a pad? In that case the WB double layer would be best (my guess, having never seen one in the wild). My first hammock was the HH Hyperlight (bottom entry), I quickly added an undercover and a pad.
    Ya I suppose I would be using a cheap pad to start out with. As far as weight goes, I would be using it for car camping and backpacking, so I guess I should try to get something "lightish".

I was personally leaning towards the Warbonnet, the traveler model, not the blackbird - I like the idea of the removable netting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I don't normally step in when other choices are being made,
    But I looked at those when I was entering into this as well,
    I won't suggest bad things about your posted choices . . .

. . . but you did ask for other ideas.

Clark is my choice NX250, and that is after much contiplation a couple of years ago.
    Love my choice. (actually the nx150, but a bit bigger would be the new choice)
    And as many folks here may disagree, and even have one or all of your posted choices,
    I personaly would not choose anything else.
    Just thought to mention incase you hadn't noticed Clark Jungle Hammocks
    Thank you for your input, ill check them out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I won't make a recommendation as to which one of these setups is 'best', but I will say you may want to step back a little more and not think of hammocks as package deals.

Think of your hammock system more in terms of modularity. Sure, some of the outfits market themselves as turn-key systems such as Hennessy and Clark. While they are correct in their definition, they may not be the best thing in total. Example: Hennessy used to be known for their small tarps that were included with the hammock. While completely functional, the small tarps lack some of the perceived comfort and protection due to their size. It was common to buy a Hennessy and immediately upgrade to a different tarp. Hennessy has figured that out pretty well these days and do a good job of offering/suggesting the upgrade to one of their large tarps. Suspensions are also often swapped and a very few stay with the Hennessy insulation system for too long.

ENO, well their tarps used to bite and their suspensions were worthless.

Clarks come with an overly complex tarp and their storage/insulation concept comes up fairly short on the insulation part.

However....Hennessys are a pretty darn easy and inexpensive way to learn about the whole enchilada. ENOs hammocks are among my favorite loungers on the planet, cheap, and stupid kinds of comfy. Clarks are, IMO, incredibly well constructed and feature laden. I can find positive traits in any of these product lines, right along with what I view as deficiencies.

Point is, take the good from each player and build your team. Don't lock yourself into buying a 'kit' from one provider. If I were to buy a Clark, I'd get another tarp. A Hennessy would get an underquilt. An ENO would have a totally different tarp manufacturer and suspension system. Heck, even me with my Warbonnet addiction one will generally see a MacCat tarp over my Warbonnet rig during the summer and fall.

Too many folks that are exceptionally good at one particular link in the chain. You'll sacrifice something for the sake of convenience by buying a package. Course, OTOH, I do spend a lot of time at convenience stores so I'm kind of throwing rocks from the living room of a glass house.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    Out of the three, I'd take the WB setup. But if I were camping in Ontario in 3 - 4 seasons, I'd get this rig (which, incidentally, is what my rig is turning into):

WB Blackbird (some don't like the attached bugnetting, especially in winter when they don't need it, but I like the solid protection and the extra couple degrees of warmth)

Tarp: LOTS of options here, but go for one with an 11' ridge line that does not have a very aggressive cat-cut. Then, you'll have decent protection without doors (best trade-off for me, as I don't want fabric for doors when I don't need it)

Suspension: DIY tree straps and whoopie slings (lightest, easiest, most space-efficient)

Bottom Insulation: You're going to need this. You can stick with a CCF pad at first, but if you're looking for a versatile/lightweight UQ, go with a 20*, 3/4 length UQ.

This works for me because it's (1) versatile, and (2) lightweight. I'm not a gram wienie, but less weight means more luxury items, means more enjoyable trip.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not a big fan of the Blackbird. I didn't find it that comfortable. I'd suggest (if possible) try before you buy. See if there's anyone local that will let you try their gear first. fwiw I'm very happy with my Light Hiker from Tree to Trail Gear.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Have you considered a bridge hammock? I have a Jacks R Better Hammock that is amazing.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    You can also DIY a bridge that fits your personal style/weight/body type.

I find my DIY a bit more comfy than the JRB because it was made wider, but HYOH.

Try before you buy is always a good motto.

Dan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast