Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Anyone Used the BAT HAMMOCK?

I was checking out the Claytor site and noticed the BAT HAMMOCK. I was wondering if anyone has tried this thing and what was it like?

http://mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    I saw those before. I've seen some of the wall stuff where climbers use the platforms ("profanity" that as far as I'm concerned...) and they get pretty elaborate, but heavy. I will admit I thought this interesting, as in how to get in and out.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    huh, I never thought about that, I wonder how you would get in and out

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    huh, I never thought about that, I wonder how you would get in and out
    Right. I would think it would be kind of a dive in a do the croc death roll kind of thing, not nearly as user friendly as a regular hammock, but maybe not.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    Right. I would think it would be kind of a dive in a do the croc death roll kind of thing, not nearly as user friendly as a regular hammock, but maybe not.
    LOL I would love to see you trying to get into this hammock doing the croc death roll LOL

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My first thought looking at it was "How would you rig a tarp over this thing?".

Looks cool...and I can see where it could be real comfy with a pad in it. But actually hanging it, and then keeping the weather out, looks kinda problematical to me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been a closet fan of the Bat Hammock just about from the time I discovered hammocks. First and foremost, I am a Batman fan. It's only natural that I would want something named as such. Plus, they are just neato in their apperance.

What has kept me from getting one is just as straightforward.

1. They do not look comfortable...at all. All those anchor points supporting the hammock are going to create rigid areas in the hammock body that the user is laying on. Hammocks, for me, are about comfort, so the Bat Hammock didn't pass the most basic test IMO. Course, this is only a theory since I've never tried one, but I'm confident in the theory. Or at least, my wallet is comfortable with the theory.

2. For the same reasons listed above, this hammock is going to be a pad user's choice. The pads would remove much of that rigid feel below and on the sides. I use quilts for sleeping on and pads for landing on. Just the way I roll.

3. From a practical standpoint, where are you going to hang it? Think about it when applied to a wooded area. How many very sturdy (in appererance anyway) limbs do you recall spotting that were within reach without having to shimmy up a tree 30 or 40'? I started paying attention to that fact when I was out hiking and ya know what; not many. Where I hike, getting the thing setup to use would take me as long as it took me to walk to the site and probably result in at least one ER bill.

Still, having said all that, I'd like to have one. It would be a pure novelty in my collection. I also have some pretty sadistic thoughts when it comes to scaring the crud out of people. How much fun would it be to be hanging above a regular use trail where the majority of people never look up? Just a quick "Hey!" might make more than one person soil themselves just a little. THAT, would be fun!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    They do look pretty cool, but yeah, how do you get in them? Surely there is a practical way? Anyhow, from the ones I have seen being used on google pics, they seem quite crowded, tight around the shoulders.

And as to where to hang them, when we go to the BWCA, sometimes we have a hard time just finding that special branch/limb to hang our food bad, let alone a limb strong enough to support a person. Beside, think of when a good wind comes up. It would turn you into a tether ball LOL
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been a closet fan of the Bat Hammock just about from the time I discovered hammocks. First and foremost, I am a Batman fan. It's only natural that I would want something named as such. Plus, they are just neato in their apperance.

What has kept me from getting one is just as straightforward.

1. They do not look comfortable...at all. All those anchor points supporting the hammock are going to create rigid areas in the hammock body that the user is laying on. Hammocks, for me, are about comfort, so the Bat Hammock didn't pass the most basic test IMO. Course, this is only a theory since I've never tried one, but I'm confident in the theory. Or at least, my wallet is comfortable with the theory.

2. For the same reasons listed above, this hammock is going to be a pad user's choice. The pads would remove much of that rigid feel below and on the sides. I use quilts for sleeping on and pads for landing on. Just the way I roll.

3. From a practical standpoint, where are you going to hang it? Think about it when applied to a wooded area. How many very sturdy (in appererance anyway) limbs do you recall spotting that were within reach without having to shimmy up a tree 30 or 40'? I started paying attention to that fact when I was out hiking and ya know what; not many. Where I hike, getting the thing setup to use would take me as long as it took me to walk to the site and probably result in at least one ER bill.

Still, having said all that, I'd like to have one. It would be a pure novelty in my collection. I also have some pretty sadistic thoughts when it comes to scaring the crud out of people. How much fun would it be to be hanging above a regular use trail where the majority of people never look up? Just a quick "Hey!" might make more than one person soil themselves just a little. THAT, would be fun!
    Is hanging a hiker in a hammock 30-40 ft up an approved PCT method for bear areas?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have a large screened in patio with a 12 foot ceiling, and I thought it would be cool to have a Bat Hammock hanging out there.

To get in them, you go in from the foot end according to their website.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast