Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR

IX top quilt DIY failure

Some time ago I inquired to the collective wisdom about making a top quilt from IX to enable sleeping temps down to 40 deg F.

After all the research, I decided to make a top quilt out of 2 layers of IX separated by two layers of tulle from Joannes and an outer layer of ripstop on one side.

The pics show the construction.

It was a miserable failure. I slept out on my back porch an at about 53 deg F I bailed.

Be so warned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    BTW it weighted about 16 ozs.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    So what failed? Sorry for the dumb question. Was the failure because the quilt didn't keep you warm enough? If so, you should be able to undo the stitching and perhaps add more insulation.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree! My DIY double layered IX top quilt doesn't keep me warm at any temperature where I need to be warm. If it's too warm for a quilt, then it just makes me sweat.

Mine is simply two layers of IX with IX baffles sewn every 4" to hold the layer slightly apart.
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-18-2012 at 20:59.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Results certainly vary over a wide range. I have done OK with IX considering the weight ( using no shells, IX only ) but I never did as good as some folks did, not even very close.

OTOH, one layer of 2.5 oz Climashield in a torso sized UQ has kept me warm into the 40s. I think the entire quilt with suspension weighs about 10 oz, with the one layer of CS, for the short torso version. I guess double the weight for a full length, minus suspension wt for TQ use.. But, might also be a tad warmer on top if it was wide enough. Plus, I just add one or more layers of CS at a slight weight increase each one being a large increase in warmth.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-19-2012 at 17:03.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    Some time ago I inquired to the collective wisdom about making a top quilt from IX to enable sleeping temps down to 40 deg F.

After all the research, I decided to make a top quilt out of 2 layers of IX separated by two layers of tulle from Joannes and an outer layer of ripstop on one side.

It was a miserable failure. I slept out on my back porch an at about 53 deg F I bailed.
    What did you use for bottom insulation?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    Answering several questions:

The failure was in warmth. It was easy, about 2 AM, to tell the entire length was just insufficiently warm. The pictures do not show it but the foot was tapered and had a draw string to pull it together to create a foot box.

The bottom insulation was a Thermarest NeoAir XL full length. This is an amazing mat. Once I place it in the hammock it will not move around. It is a blow up style and not self inflating.

As a comparison, I made an 3/4 under quilt using IX with a middle layer of primaloft. I tested this successfully to 29 degrees F using a thermarest prolite.

I'll test this winter but the NeoAir has the potential of eliminating an under quilt for temps down in the 20s.

My test setup is on my screened in porch and it is covered. I don't set up the tarp and I have a thermometer next to the hammock so I know exactly the temp. It is electronic indicating the max/min temps for the day.

Any more questions? Feel free. I have learned so much here I feel an obligation to share.

R

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    This spring I did an IX top quilt 2 layers with quilt batting poly insulation between the layers, and between my skin and the first layer of IX. I had the same problem. I was either cold, or clammy and hot. I have a velcro closed end, so I can swap out for Primaloft or CS rather than IX if I needed. I ended up making a 7oz down quilt of the same dimensions for a segment hike on the AT. I've been extremely happy with the down, but it has not been below 50 degrees yet. I may save the IX experiment for use over the down TQ to extend it's range when it finally gets cold here in NC.

Then again, I may just scrap the IX top quilt and make a higher fill down TQ for the colder temps. It was a bit more work, but well worth the effort.

In my experience, save the IX for underquilts. I'm happy with mine.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    This may sound crazy, but has anyone thought of "venting" the IX? Nothing too crazy, just like a single hole puncher used to punch a random series of holes in the tool and bottom layers so it can "vent" a bit. It could be a trial and error experiment, but to get just the correct amount of holes to vent it a bit may perhaps make it more useable... Just a thought.

Cheers Tribe!
    Doc

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    This may sound crazy, but has anyone thought of "venting" the IX? Nothing too crazy, just like a single hole puncher used to punch a random series of holes in the tool and bottom layers so it can "vent" a bit. It could be a trial and error experiment, but to get just the correct amount of holes to vent it a bit may perhaps make it more useable... Just a thought.

Cheers Tribe!
    Doc
    It would have to be one big hole! Having used IX by itself in humid conditions, I found that I was either wet or cold. When I had it over me, it would get warm, then clammy then I would get cold. I would then flip it over to have the wet side on the outside only to repeat the process. IX will work on top as a booster, but I find it useless on its own. Underneath is another story, but on top I'd steer clear of it.

• + New Posts