WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole camo
    Insulation
    pending tewa a-f
    Suspension
    Monroe shocks

Ultralight newbie questions

I am an ultralight backpacker and am ready to hang. Let me apologize first as the post below is a copy of my previous post on Introduce Yourself where I've received nice welcomes but only a little input. I'm looking for help deciding on gear and ordering time is getting tight. All input is appreciated.......

....Greetings,

I am re-introducing myself. I jumped in last year and shortly thereafter was out-of-action - tendinitis. I appreciated the great welcome last year and will be grateful for advice I can get here.

Briefly, I made a kit hammock and am unhappy with the shoulder pinch but still ready to move forward with a full blown effort. I am a backpacker, have mostly "ultralight" gear now and want to stay as light as possible, comfortably. I am 6' tall, 205 lbs. I like a good 12 mile day and get in a few weekends and one weeklong trip per year. Bugs, rain and temps as low as 30F are what I gear up for.

I need to order gear quickly for a September trip. Staying light, I would welcome comments on the following purchases I plan to place:

HAMMOCK - WBBB 1.7 single. Comfort is a must. Suggestions or other products? adjustable webbing? I saw good things about DreamHammock but don't understand the product well (widths, weights, comfort) and it's a newer option so any insight is appreciated.

WHOOPIE SLINGS - Should I get these? - I better warn the wife before I order these.

UQ - TeWa Freeze 14oz 40 x 52 vs the larger heavier HG Phoenix 16.7oz 45x52. I am worried about the width of the Freeze - will it cover? Suggestions?

OQ - will use my Western Mountaineering Megalite (open) for now.

TARP - McCat Standard looks nice but at 10 oz could wish for it in Spinn or Cuben vs. HG Hex Cuben (coverage, reliable?) Others? Spinn has worked well in my current ground tarp which cannot be converted to hammock use. I also have a 8'x10' silnylon rectangular, too heavy for permanent but could this work in a pinch?

I have been lurking for the last week or so; very nice site, nice folks and I intend to sign up later today to support what happens here. Any clues to finding other ultralight topics or threads within HF is appreciated.

I apologize up front for jumping in with tons of questions but hope to place orders in a week or so.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    As for the uq- I made my uq to about the Phoenix specs. I like a little wider. You could have it made with a lighter fabric. Also could check out Underground Quilts too.

As far as the hammock, I use a wbbb and really like it. Can't really go wrong. But I also use a gathered end like the Traveler too. Very nice too.

I use whoopie slings, love the adjustability, but they aren't necessary. The stock system works fine with the warbonnet.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
    I am an ultralight backpacker and am ready to hang. Let me apologize first as the post below is a copy of my previous post on Introduce Yourself where I've received nice welcomes but only a little input. I'm looking for help deciding on gear and ordering time is getting tight. All input is appreciated.......

....Greetings,

I am re-introducing myself. I jumped in last year and shortly thereafter was out-of-action - tendinitis. I appreciated the great welcome last year and will be grateful for advice I can get here.

Briefly, I made a kit hammock and am unhappy with the shoulder pinch but still ready to move forward with a full blown effort. I am a backpacker, have mostly "ultralight" gear now and want to stay as light as possible, comfortably. I am 6' tall, 205 lbs. I like a good 12 mile day and get in a few weekends and one weeklong trip per year. Bugs, rain and temps as low as 30F are what I gear up for.

I need to order gear quickly for a September trip. Staying light, I would welcome comments on the following purchases I plan to place:

HAMMOCK - WBBB 1.7 single. Comfort is a must. Suggestions or other products? adjustable webbing? I saw good things about DreamHammock but don't understand the product well (widths, weights, comfort) and it's a newer option so any insight is appreciated.

At 210 and 6' I find the 1.1 dbl way more comfortable then the single 1.7 in comparison. I got my Traveler 1.1 dbl and Tulle bug net without suspension at 15.3 ounces. My WBBB 1.1 without suspension weights about 20.7 ounces. Even though my single 1.7 is lighter I do not find it as comfortable just MHO.

WHOOPIE SLINGS - Should I get these? - I better warn the wife before I order these.

IMHO if you looking for UL then get 3 ft straps, dynaglide woopies along with Dutch Woopie Hooks.

UQ - TeWa Freeze 14oz 40 x 52 vs the larger heavier HG Phoenix 16.7oz 45x52. I am worried about the width of the Freeze - will it cover? Suggestions?

Being a bigger guy myself. I got a custom Hammock Gear UQ 45 wide by 46 long. What temp range you looking at? That way I save weight on the length and my pad covers that part of my legs any ways but my shoulders are still covered fully.

OQ - will use my Western Mountaineering Megalite (open) for now.

TARP - McCat Standard looks nice but at 10 oz could wish for it in Spinn or Cuben vs. HG Hex Cuben (coverage, reliable?) Others? Spinn has worked well in my current ground tarp which cannot be converted to hammock use. I also have a 8'x10' silnylon rectangular, too heavy for permanent but could this work in a pinch?

The coverage is more then reliable on a Hammock Gear Cuben Hex. Check out my gear review of my Hammock Gear Hex Tarp. I got lots of pics that show you just how much coverage their is. Their is plenty of room underneath a HG Hex for a WBBB

I have been lurking for the last week or so; very nice site, nice folks and I intend to sign up later today to support what happens here. Any clues to finding other ultralight topics or threads within HF is appreciated.

Their is no dedicated forum to UL Hiking on HF but sometimes a UL thread pops up in the donating members only section in the off topic forum.

I apologize up front for jumping in with tons of questions but hope to place orders in a week or so.
    No Need to apologize for asking questions that's how we all learn.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I'd say that if you've already evolved to ultralight status as a ground dweller then you already know what your equipment tastes are and where you'll eventually wind up on hammock outfitting.

The rest of us gear junkies know that any of the equipment you're considering will fit the bill for now and later after you've upgraded will still be good loaner gear for your friends and family. There's really no down side to starting off with workable gear and upgrading later, even if you decided to sell here on the forum, you can usually do pretty well.

I would encourage you to do what it takes to get out and hanging and work out your equipment upgrades down the road, you may run across a great deal on something you're looking for used or one of the vendors may introduce something new just as you're ready to pull the trigger. In the meantime you'll be out enjoying and learning.

David

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    Good advice:
    I would encourage you to do what it takes to get out and hanging and work out your equipment upgrades down the road, you may run across a great deal on something you're looking for used or one of the vendors may introduce something new just as you're ready to pull the trigger. In the meantime you'll be out enjoying and learning.
    The learning is more valuable than you choosing equipment without much hanging experience. There are plenty of ULers here, but they may be on the trail instead of posting. At BPL, there is a Hammock Forum but it is not very active.

Start with whatever comes with your hammock, knowing that you will lightened it. The hammock manufacturers are more interested in liability than SUL. That is business these days.

Lawyers from my health care insurance company specifically ask about recovering the costs of my wife's back operations. She has minor degenerative problems so I suppose her ancestors are liable for her health costs.

One hammock maker had a 260 pound tester who did hit the ground, thankfully with no injury. I weigh 145# so I do not need the same fabric strength that Kevin does.

I'm about the size of Mike at Tewa Quilts and we roam the same areas, so his stuff suits me. For a while, he was using a single layer Warbonnet Traveler with an entirely different suspension. That might suit your request for comfort. You are probably too big for a Grand Trunk Ultralite hammock which is a very light, but short and narrow, choice.

Butt In A Sling (BIAS) is selling some long, very light hammocks with the need to purchase an additional suspension to hang them. They are wise to expect their customers to be picky about the suspension weight, which many other makers ignore.

Dream Hammocks (Randy/PapaSmurf) will build light if requested, and he does have a sensitive scale. Couple of years ago, his packing slip showed the weight of each component. He can't specify precise weights in advance due to variations in the manufactured weights of his materials.

Next year, you will be hanging either lighter or more comfortable than this year. That is just how it goes, out there between the trees.

• + New Posts