Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ridge line confusion

Noobie here, and I have been reading and reading. I have just about decided to make my ridge line 83% of my DN length, but I was planning on making it from Amsteel Blue, figuring it would need to be strong!
    Some folks are making their RL out of less stout stuff ????
    Seems like there would be times (trees far apart) when there would be considerable force on the RL, and close tree set up would make the RL sag before you get in.

What am I missing here?
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You aren't missing anything. There are two ways to use a ridgeline.

One is to have a permanent measuring devise that will let you know when the sag is proper. The ridgeline will be straight, but hardly any tension on it. It can also be used to keep a bugnet off your face and to hold your headlamp, etc.

The second use for a ridgeline is to make up for the fact that you have chosen trees that are too far apart and your suspension is so tight, it's parallel to the ground. Then you need a material that will stay intact while the two trees are uprooted
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    What I did was use 1.9mm techline from DIY gear supply spliced just like a whoopie as a RL. It's made from dyneema and has a 480 lb break strength. It's a lot smaller then amsteel but still plenty strong for a RL.

It allowed me to adjust the length of the RL without untying everything. Once I found the length I liked i measured the techline and tied a permanent RL out of glowire (also sold at DIY) it makes it easier to find a dark green hammock / tarp in the dark.
    Last edited by hk2001; 07-18-2012 at 19:44. Reason: Fixed autocorrect typos

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You aren't missing anything. There are two ways to use a ridgeline.

One is to have a permanent measuring devise that will let you know when the sag is proper. The ridgeline will be straight, but hardly any tension on it. It can also be used to keep a bugnet off your face and to hold your headlamp, etc.

The second use for a ridgeline is to make up for the fact that you have chosen trees that are too far apart and your suspension is so tight, it's parallel to the ground. Then you need a material that will stay intact while the two trees are uprooted
    Thanks Mad777 I guess if I was planning on uprooting trees I should stick with the Amsteel Blue (I have it) but I really could just use something lighter that would hold me if I extended my straps between further apart trees.
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You got it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    What I did was use 1.9mm techline from DIY gear supply spliced just like a whoopie as a RL. It's made from dyneema and has a 480 lb break strength. It's a lot smaller then amsteel but still plenty strong for a RL.

It allowed me to adjust the length of the RL without untying everything. Once I found the length I liked i measured the techline and tied a permanent RL out of glowire (also sold at DIY) it makes it easier to find a dark green hammock / tarp in the dark.
    hk2001, yup, I get most of my stuff from DIY gear, great outfit, and I bet 480 strength would hold me an mine (DN rated for only 400) so I bet the lighter RL makes the most sense, except that I have the Aamsteel Blue already. I do like glowire idea though.
    Thanks for your reply
    PoleHangin everywhere

This hammock thing (obsession) is getting me to want to prepare for every eventuality!
    Right now I should be focused on my 2 pole stand a la alamosa, which I can carry on my Scooter, and hang anywhere. Somehow I got sidetracked into worrying about how strong a ridge line to make and what kind of straps I need and how long they need to be.. etc.
    I guess I need to be prepared for the time that there are too many tempting trees to hang from, and there is no room to set up my poles!
    or the ground will be too hard for stakes, or too soft, or...or...

Just need to have all the options....
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    A bottom entry HH exp suited me just fine for years. Until my hiking partner finally got tired of me being set up and done in 2 minutes, while he hadn't even found a level spot to pitch his tent. So he ordered a HH zip.

Suddenly in was obsessed with ideas.. Adjusting UQs, and reaching the ground while still laying down. And the DIY bug bit me... Hard. I'm on my 3rd DIY rig in 4 months, tweaking this and that, trying various suggestions etc.

HYOH takes on a whole new meaning when you DIY

Enjoy the obsession, and try some techline or glowire. You may have the amsteel already, but you know your gonna want that for the suspension on your next rig.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Realistically, if you're hanging with 30-degree off horizontal suspension, the stress on the ridgeline is relatively small.

Warbonnet has a video of a proper hang where WBGuy shows how to check the tension on your ridgeline. I, too use techline or zing-it for most of my ridgelines, and never had a failure...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Here is the Warbonnet video. The RL tension is shown right about the 5:00 mark...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast