Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images

Bluewater Climbing rope for ridgeline and tarp lines

I ran accross a deal at a local shop (Little River Trading Co. Maryville, TN) on some accessory cord. I bought some Bluewater 2.5MM It cost 0.11 a foot. I'm using it for my ridgeline and my prusik knots. It really holds a nice knot and held my sag really well. Here is the link to the actual information from Bluewaters website. I'm going to get some 3MM cord next. I put some weight on it to see what it would hold. 225lbs later it was holding strong. I didnt have anything heavy enough to add and keep it safe. It seems to be good line but only time will tell. It's super light too, a lot lighter than the line I was using from Walmart. I will not try to use this to suspend my hammock.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    sounds like good utility cord. As you said, and they probably say, not for hanging the hammock. The only question I would have is how stretchy is it? Climbers like stretch in some areas hangers do not. ;-)

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Being that it is a nylon cord (sheath and core) it will stretch to some degree. Just be aware of that and use it in applications where cord stretch is not an issue.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    sounds like good utility cord. As you said, and they probably say, not for hanging the hammock. The only question I would have is how stretchy is it? Climbers like stretch in some areas hangers do not. ;-)
    Eh, after hanging on it I have not seen any stretch at all. According to the guy at the shop this smaller rope isnt meant to stretch compared to the larger diameter ropes. We shall see! I'll put some serious weight on it to see what happens. I'll see how far it can go. I will of course be carefull.

OH. I'm not going to use this for my suspension. I use amsteel and webbing for that. I only plan on using this cord to run guylines on my tarp/bugnet/and ridgeline (for sag). I mean I'm sure I'll find other uses, but that was my plan for it.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    And sorry for starting this thread in the wrong area. It was late and I had a brainfart.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Being that it is a nylon cord (sheath and core) it will stretch to some degree. Just be aware of that and use it in applications where cord stretch is not an issue.

Cheers

Brian
    You mean like guylines correct? I hope so. I'm still new to some of the terms used here so I hope I didnt use the wrong verbage.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    I have some 2.5 mm Bluewater cord that came in 100 foot sections. If it is the same stuff, it is really stiff! I use mine as a tarp ridge line and it works great. It is very light and visible at night but not "flashy visible" as to attract attention.

Doc

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    You mean like guylines correct? I hope so. I'm still new to some of the terms used here so I hope I didnt use the wrong verbage.
    Tarp guy lines would be one use. Bear bag line would be another. Although I prefer to use a cord that doesn't stretch for my guy lines. At the end of the day, if the cord works for whatever you choose to use it for then by all means use it.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    I have some 2.5 mm Bluewater cord that came in 100 foot sections. If it is the same stuff, it is really stiff! I use mine as a tarp ridge line and it works great. It is very light and visible at night but not "flashy visible" as to attract attention.

Doc
    Doc,
    yes it is the exact same cord. I'm beginning to like this cord. It holds knots very well but they are much easier to break down if needed. You are right, the cord is very very stiff. Have you tried it with a figure 9? It will actually lock down on one very nicely and I dont even have to use a prusik with it. Saves a little weight I guess, but not much considering the weight of my tarp..

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Tarp guy lines would be one use. Bear bag line would be another. Although I prefer to use a cord that doesn't stretch for my guy lines. At the end of the day, if the cord works for whatever you choose to use it for then by all means use it.

Cheers

Brian
    Ah I understand now. It would change my lay in the hammock. Gotcha! What I am concerned about is how it will react in different temperatures. Will it break easily in the winter? Will it stretch A LOT more in the heat of summer? Although wit the heat we've had while I tried it on my tarp it showed no signs of stretching. Then again I dont plan on putting any stress on my tarp lines that would even come close to the breaking point of the cord.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    [QUOTE=Oper8or;771495]Doc,
    yes it is the exact same cord. I'm beginning to like this cord. It holds knots very well but they are much easier to break down if needed. You are right, the cord is very very stiff. Have you tried it with a figure 9? It will actually lock down on one very nicely and I dont even have to use a prusik with it. Saves a little weight I guess, but not much considering the weight of my tarp..

Great stuff indeed! I use figure 9's on it with ease. The overall stiffness keeps them locked in place. I use Dynaglide and Zing it Prussik's to attach my tarp to micro biner and then to tarp. I liked it so much I ordered several hundred feet of it and am going to get more in other colors. If it holds up, I may Prodeal a bulk spool of it. I highly recommend this stuff.

Best!
    Doc

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast