Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I see lots of side sleepers and shorter people who like the 3/4. I'm 6'3 and a back sleeper. I'm fine with my pluq if it's above 45. And I can make do with socks and feet pads below that. But a full length is so much easier to sleep with when it's cold for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I am a smaller guy, 5 foot 6, and have a3/4 uq. Covers me all the way to my ankles, lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I am a smaller guy, 5 foot 6, and have a3/4 uq. Covers me all the way to my ankles, lol.
    +1 I'm 5'9, so I don't need a full length underquilt. Maddog

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    One perk about being tiny eh? Lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo 66" 30* UQ
    Suspension
    stock WBBB webbing

Question

how does the stuffed size compare between the 3/4 and full UQ's?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i am on the taller size....6'2" and on go with the full length diy. it is easier to sleep in, but it does add weight and bulk to my pack.
    Hops

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I am closer to 6'2" than not and I went with a 20* Phoenix UQ due to weight and packed volume mostly + I already carry a sit pad and I thought it would be nice to duel purpose it (the sit pad). So far, due to the warm temps, I have not needed anything, but I have been trying different sit pads, packs, cloths, etc. to see what I could sleep with when it cools down. My latest sit pad is made of a cut down piece of Reflectix. It is larger than my old sit pad, but about the same weight.

I want to get my rig down to 20* and know I will be comfortable. So far I have only been to about 45* and had to take my socks off due to the heat. I think a 40* set of quilts is in my future.

I am mostly a side sleeper and I mostly fit on the 3/4 UQ when on my side with my knees and hips flexed. Socks, thermals and TQ help keep the legs and feet warm. Can't wait for the cooler weather to try out some of my other ideas.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Great video comparing the Yeti to the Phoenix.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    6'-4" and use the Yeti's. I have a theory about the shorter and FL UQ's. Don't know how good it is, or if it even makes sense, but I'm going to share it.

With a shorter UQ it pretty much ends at the wider parts of your body, and hammock. Usually at your shoulders and just below your rump somewhere. With that in mind, it spreads the UQ out the width of your body filling up most, if not all air gaps from the peaks & valley's created in the hammock material. In these wider areas, the ridges created in the hammock material are less because your body is stretching out the material. The further you go toward the gathered ends of the hammock, the more peaks/valley's/ridges in the material. They are also deeper/higher.

With a FL UQ, it goes almost if not all the way up to the narrow parts of the hammock, near the gathered ends. You then have to try to get that UQ cinched up around that narrow part. On every FL UQ I have ever looked at, there are gaps created at those ends. Most of the time they can be filled in with a sock, or piece of clothing, but they seem to be always there. Then, depending on how the person lays in the hammock, you get that big gap near the foot end from the diagonal lay. The FL UQ is following the straight line of the hammock from end to end, not diagonal the way a person normally lays in a hammock. I may be wrong on that, but I have yet to see a FL UQ that you didn't have to fiddle around with so much.

A smaller UQ, you put it on, jump in, adjust it to cover your shoulders, and your done. The shorter UQ will also follow the diagonal lay of the body better. As many have already posted, a sit pad, clothing, or anything can be used if your lower legs get cold. A pillow of some type is also generally used, clothing, stuff sack, or pillow to insulate your head. You can also adjust the shorter UQ's diagonal by putting more or less tension on one side of the shock cord making them follow the body line better.

One more thing I have noticed is the material of the hammock and the strength of the shock cord on the UQ. If the material is lighter, it allows the body of the hammock to stretch a little more down into the UQ if you will. The strong pull of the shock cord allows the UQ to be pulled up against your body deleting air gaps between the hammock and UQ. I have both a 1.7 dbl layer and 1.1 single layer BB hammock. I noticed when I sleep in the 1.1 single, I sleep allot warmer. If I take my hand and run it between the hammock and UQ in the 1.1, It feels as though its right against my back the entire length/width. In the 1.7 dbl, being less stretchy fabric, I can feel areas that seem to have air gaps between the hammock and UQ.

Just my $0.02, and it may be worth -$0.02.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm 6'-1" and prefer a 54" long underquilt supplemented by a CCF pad from foot to thigh.

This keeps me perfectly warm. Provides a sit pad and backpack pad when on the trail. The system is lighter than a full length underquilt. And finally, it's cheaper.

One additional note; it is my belief that a partial UQ is easier to seal than a full length one. (Just my theory though).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast