Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images

Down upload/download

I just scarfed two king size German down comforters for $5.00 each at a yard sale this weekend. (Darn those bad coffee stains on those pretty white comforters) Already cut it open to check out the bounty.... I am PLEASED...

I have read some of the ways you guys transfer down but I am a little unsure how to handle the large amounts that I am going to be dealing with.
    I do plan on using the shop vac to clean it out of the original cotten comforter shells.

Questions:
    1) When sucking it up in the vac, should I use a pillow case as a can liner/bag? Seems like I could handle this better in smaller amounts. What do you guys recommend?

2) If there a better way? What do you do?

3) When you use the shop vac to blow it back into your new UQ/OQ, how do you handle the amount that goes back in. (plan on using the panty hose method)

4) What do you do to keep from "packing it in"?

Any help would be appreciated...

Signed,
    Full of Fluff (at least for the moment)
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For my transfer method, I do about 1/4 oz per transfer. I start with that estimate, and weight the piece being stuff before I put in any down. When I've made enough transfers to be get close to where I want, I weigh the piece being stuff. The current weight minus the empty weight will tell you how much down you've transfered.

Pillowcase can work, but the down might stick to the insides. Just means you'll need to pay more attention to get it out. I sucked mine from DWR sacks, and from an existing DWR hammock. Might be good to suck it directly from the comforter into your project...one less transfer to worry about.

Not sure what you mean by #4.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Jeff,

I have not yet had the pleasure of transferring down so maybe (probably) I'm out-to-lunch but...
    I read the OP as he wasn't using a covered vacuum wand. He was going to suck down straight from the comforter to a storage sack using a shop-vac system.
    From what I've read here and elsewhere, HUGE mess. If this is the case, maybe you could give some first hand advice. If I'm wrong, disregard this entire response!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts