Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Converting "A- shaped" line-supported nets to NX-x50 hoop-support style

The short story is from first knowing that Clark supports the netting for single-occupant hammocks in 2 ways, depending on model. The Ultralight (UL), North American (NA), Tropical, TX-200 and NX-200 all use tie outs from the hoods --see Clark pics --which are on all Clarks.[Added: The netting zipper begins at top center hem of the foot-end hood and runs to head-end hood hem and then back.] Tie outs on the peaks of the hoods go to the tarp or trees, (or to user's own ridgeline) . When bug net is stuffed, the hoods are still supported by tie outs. Deploy the bug net, and the supported hoods support the net in roughly an "A" shape.

Alternatively, for the (smaller bed) NX 150 and the larger-bed NX-250, the hoods and then the zipped netting are held up and away from the face and body by a two flexed semi-circles of thin fiberglass rods running through fabric channels on the hems of the hoods. They anchor in pockets on the side of the hammock. No tie outs are needed.

Go forward to hammock modifiers 2QZQ to see what they can do to modify tarps so the side walls are held up and out, using thin poles anchored in 2QZQ's "pole-pockets".

Next: I came by a Clark UL, here, Clark'sr lightest and least-featured model, adding to Tropical 2 I was using most nights. For both, A = tent-shaped bug netting zipped between the hoods, supported as described first paragraph. Entirely liveable, just as it is for the more popular Clark "North American" model.

But I found the netting often closer to my face than I liked. And I loved the spaciousness under the bug netting from experience with the hoops of an NX-150.

Challenge: Could 2QZQ put channels on the hoods of the UL and Tropical, and sew pole-pockets on the sides to give me the feeling and spaciousness I had from an NX-150? Could they adapt what they were doing for tarps to the Clark hammocks?

Response from 2QZQ:
    With 3-4 weeks and a model, they'd see if they could.

Well, they could, they did, and I'm pleased. The sewing is impeccable. I could not have done it myself at the time, but I am working on developing the skills Donna has practiced for years. I doubt there's a stitch redone or out of line, something I could not say for my own sewing before I put in many more hours at the Necchi or Gritzner sms.

For fiberglass rods, I use the threaded-end electrician's line fish rods from Harbor Freight. I've touted them here before. They work as well as Clark's rods, with small weight penalty (from brass fittings), and are crazy cheap. (Not that Clarks are expensive, either)

The rest of the story is carried in pics which have gotten 120-150 viewings since I posted them a month ago. Full titles and comment accompany the pics. Click on these thumbnails:

Fire away with questions.

Several comments not with the pics.

1. On a DIY or cost-economy basis, modifying the head end is the important one.

2. The pics show the Clark rods /poles and the yellow Harbor Freight ones interchangeably, because they are substitutes for each other.

3. With the heat of summer, and in consideration of the density of the Clark noseuum -- very fine -- I value the mod to this UL even more. Ventilation is better. For the other modification, the feature addition is the difference between the Tropical II and the TX-150.

4. Attachment points on the original hammocks were all retained. I can use the hammock, just as before, without the rods. Channels and pockets added < .5oz.

5. I remain impressed with Clark craft and design. For DIY on a bug-net, I'd treat the noseeum the way Clark does, creating the internal reinforcement muntins you see, and the multiple lights. Smart engineering and good craft.

6. Different next time? I'd suffer a 10 gram weight penalty, and substitute nylon strapping, (or include a nylon strap insert) for / in the pole pocket.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-20-2012 at 21:08. Reason: corrections

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! This thing is literally a tent in the air!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    That's cool as all get out... I like it... May have to work that design into a hammock down the road someday...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ZQ here....DemostiX asked in another thread if I would be willing to do this mod again. The answer to that...yes. If interested, please send a PM, or contact us through our website. I did send him a PM asking for further understanding of #6.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ZQ here....DemostiX asked in another thread if I would be willing to do this mod again. The answer to that...yes. If interested, please send a PM, or contact us through our website. I did send him a PM asking for further understanding of #6.
    Probably reinforcement of some sort.

It looks cool, the mod. Not sure if it's a new hammock why one wouldn't simply buy a 150 or 250, but for retrofitting for those that want hoops, very nice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have the NX250 but would definetely be wanting that mod if I had any other. In fact, may consider it for my DD Frontline.
    Did the netting have to be modified to reach around the hoops? Or just loops and anchor points added?

Just a note - I bought the Harbor Freight rods that DemostiX mentions. I did a rough test on my scale and found that the 'bent tension' on the Clark rods is almost twice the tension on the Harbor Freight rods. From the pictures it doesn't look like that causes any problem (Edit: haven't actually used them yet) but wondering if perhaps the Harbor Freight rods are less effective at keeping the hammock spread when loaded. Any thoughts, DemostiX?
    Last edited by Passinthru; 07-20-2012 at 13:39.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    It looks cool, the mod. Not sure if it's a new hammock why one wouldn't simply buy a 150 or 250, <snip? .

ANSWER: Hey, Mr. PE: For the same reason you get commissions to widen roads, and not just design and build a new one from scratch: We didn't have the money earlier. <smile>

But, that's not true for the Ultra Light (UL), a model which brings a smile, what with the Clark rep of "oh, it is SOOOh heavy". With stuff sack large enough for tarp, my UL weighs, with tree straps and whoopies and mod --but without rods-- 24 oz COMPLETE. And that's with the burden of #5 YKK double sided zipper entry. So, we're mostly Clark owners commiserating about a rep for being overweight when the total flab comes to just a few durable features. Clark doesn't offer a hooped version of the UL.

The longer story of my motivation was this: I had an NX250 I had set aside, the hoops too much trouble for daily set-up and take down, etc, etc. I was comfortable all fall and winter with a small-body Tropical II, well appreciating that this space and airiness is.....just airiness. As Warbonnetguy writes of his WBBB, tying out just increases the sense of space and manages the bug net. The unoccupied hammock bed is more inviting, looking bigger and roomier. But, the occupied hammock bed is not really bigger, though, after the tying out, or after threading the rods around the hoods.

It was after I bought and started nightly use of another HF member's NX-150 -- smaller body and hoops--, with bugs in springtime, that I appreciated what the hoops under the netting, did for the comfort and pleasure of a lentil eater. Anyway, nobody in my family will feel deprived when the hammocks are passed out.

Passinthru:........wondering if perhaps the Harbor Freight rods are less effective at keeping the hammock spread when loaded
    The amount of spreading the rods do is great only because and when the load is minimal. Empty hammocks and light bug netting for example. Hang a UQ differently, and the arc of the rods can change very much with the hammock empty. Get in and load the hammock, and there's no effective difference between the rods that I detect
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-20-2012 at 21:17. Reason: answering passingthru

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    ANSWER: Hey, Mr. PE: For the same reason you get commissions to widen roads, and not just design and build a new one from scratch: We didn't have the money earlier. <smile>
    As I said, as a retrofit, it looks good, but I did think about the UL being the one you modded. I haven't used the UL so can't tell how much different it would be honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

But, that's not true for the Ultra Light (UL), a model which brings a smile, what with the Clark rep of "oh, it is SOOOh heavy".
    Honestly, if I take an HH, it's the same weight with the tarp. If I take an ENO, by the time I put the bug net and the tarp with, I'm there again. I guess if I lost 100 lbs I could get into one of the ultralight scout models....

It's a complete system that is rock solid and works, and yes it may weigh a bit more than a hodgepodge system that isn't quite there when it comes to taking the abuse, ok...kind of feel like "and your point is?" to people that may raise that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    As I said, as a retrofit, it looks good, but I did think about the UL being the one you modded. I haven't used the UL so can't tell how much different it would be honestly.

Honestly, if I take an HH, it's the same weight with the tarp. If I take an ENO, by the time I put the bug net and the tarp with, I'm there again. I guess if I lost 100 lbs I could get into one of the ultralight scout models....

It's a complete system that is rock solid and works, and yes it may weigh a bit more than a hodgepodge system that isn't quite there when it comes to taking the abuse, ok...kind of feel like "and your point is?" to people that may raise that.
    Here, in a Clark forum, I don't know what other hmmks weigh, just that the neglected UL is a sweet, light hammock system. (If it weren't neglected and disrespected, it would not have languished here in the For Sale forum for me to pick up.) I haven't camped with this rig, but looking at cluttered hammock camp sites, I can say YES to those two big, blousy pockets which second-purpose the bottom bed of the hammock for the storage. The pleats are big. These pockets are capacious.

For the few outsiders reading: If separate bug nets weren't a bear to design and make, price leaders wouldn't charge $60-$70+ for them. And you still need to practice set up and efficient packing. I'm still not good deploying and packing a cludge of one I carry for bug-free use with a Nano 7 on overnight (bike) rides and too-long day-ones for my old body. This Clark UL may have me bear the weight and bulk of a dual-side lifetime-durable zipper for the integrated junglehammock advantage.

But, the purpose of this thread was to say: If you want to "upgrade" from one Clark net-suspension to another.....well, you can, you don't need an all-new Clark, and 2QZQ can do it for you if you don't have the sewing machine, the skills, and the courage. While the leading edge of hoods is a little different between Clark models, the mod works.

BTW: FAIK, the good people at Clark may be willing to this for you too. Shipping for me would be cross-country. 2QZQ are in the next State.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-20-2012 at 15:47.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Wow! This thing is literally a tent in the air!
    Well, that's a Clark, Mike. Was before, and still is. Not wide, but then, neither is a Tree to Tree Trail Gear hammock wide either. This is just about: How do we keep the bugs out, air through, and views good. I think Clark does those well, but gets a bum rap due to price, and several feature variations on two sizes of hammocks. Weigh and bulk comparisons are mostly foolish and ill-informed. Nylon is nylon. Though +-3oz is more than enough to disqualify your bike from qualifying in the Tour de France it isn't really what is keeping thousands of us from being successful and frequent section hikers.

It doesn't speak well to broad and genuine curiosity that Clark'sr new model, the Flex 180, with new architecture and engineering, mostly remains something for Clark owners to be interested in. AFAIK, it may be more innovative than the WBBB and some Hennessy hammocks were when they were introduced.

Glad to catch your eyes and interest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast