DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyrat View Post
    i watched the video again and he now gives credit to fronkey at the 3:12 mark, and has a link to fronkeys thread at the bottom.
    I saw that he did that the other day and I sent him a message thanking him for including the link.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Crinkle Taffeta
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Descending Rings
    I just made one of these organza bugnets after watching that video. I like it! The fabric is strong and it will definitely keep out any bug. The only downside is that reduces the breeze fairly significantly. But for $10 in material I can't complain. I haven't added any shockcord to mine because I don't have any but I think it would work well without it. Here is a picture

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

That's a good idea for a video if people are interested. "How to go to ground in a hammock.

Fronkey
    There's more then one way to go to the ground .. I've found two ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iGuitar93 View Post
    I just made one of these organza bugnets after watching that video. I like it! The fabric is strong and it will definitely keep out any bug. The only downside is that reduces the breeze fairly significantly. But for $10 in material I can't complain. I haven't added any shockcord to mine because I don't have any but I think it would work well without it. Here is a picture

I hate mosquitoes, and I am not gonna try this, but I have been wondering if the cinch cord at the bottom is necessary. Could you just leave the bottom open?

When I was first researching hammocks to buy, I remember reading posts where people said that you get less bugs in your hammock with a bottom-entry Hennessy hammock. Well, that argument didn't sell me 'cause it sounded illogical.

However, having used a bottom-entry bugnet for a while, I think there may be some truth to it. Since mosquitoes love me so much, I fully expected them to just fly in from the bottom opening. It's impossible to cinch that shock cord to create a skeeter barrier like a zipped bugnet.

It seems that mosquitoes just can't figure out how to fly down, then up to get at their meal. When I get in my bottom-entry bugnet, the skeeters never enter with me, and they can never get at me, even though they should be able to figure it out.

Maybe they're not that smart. Maybe mosquitoes are used to getting their meals by flying down, or sideways, but up is just not in their genetics. I'm not saying they won't evolve one day.

Take the nuthatch, for example. When I first started bird-watching, I saw a nuthatch going down the trunk of the tree and I thought, "Gee, that's a pretty rare behavior." A little research and I learned it's the only bird that has figured out how to walk down a tree to search for grubs, insects, etc.

All other birds search for food by going up the tree. And because they're staring up, they frequently miss food that only the nuthatch can see because he's moving in the opposite direction looking down.

I'd be interested to know how an uncinched bugnet works for you. Like I said, I'm not trying it 'cause skeeters love me, and I'm one of those people who involuntarily scratch the heck out of the bites. I don't even know I'm doing it.

Hammock
    DIY Crinkle Taffeta
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Descending Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I hate mosquitoes, and I am not gonna try this, but I have been wondering if the cinch cord at the bottom is necessary. Could you just leave the bottom open?

When I was first researching hammocks to buy, I remember reading posts where people said that you get less bugs in your hammock with a bottom-entry Hennessy hammock. Well, that argument didn't sell me 'cause it sounded illogical.

However, having used a bottom-entry bugnet for a while, I think there may be some truth to it. Since mosquitoes love me so much, I fully expected them to just fly in from the bottom opening. It's impossible to cinch that shock cord to create a skeeter barrier like a zipped bugnet.

It seems that mosquitoes just can't figure out how to fly down, then up to get at their meal. When I get in my bottom-entry bugnet, the skeeters never enter with me, and they can never get at me, even though they should be able to figure it out.

Maybe they're not that smart. Maybe mosquitoes are used to getting their meals by flying down, or sideways, but up is just not in their genetics. I'm not saying they won't evolve one day.

Take the nuthatch, for example. When I first started bird-watching, I saw a nuthatch going down the trunk of the tree and I thought, "Gee, that's a pretty rare behavior." A little research and I learned it's the only bird that has figured out how to walk down a tree to search for grubs, insects, etc.

All other birds search for food by going up the tree. And because they're staring up, they frequently miss food that only the nuthatch can see because he's moving in the opposite direction looking down.

I'd be interested to know how an uncinched bugnet works for you. Like I said, I'm not trying it 'cause skeeters love me, and I'm one of those people who involuntarily scratch the heck out of the bites. I don't even know I'm doing it.
    I haven't been on a trip yet and the mosquitoes aren't that bad here for me but I'll let you know how it works out.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't cinch mine tight...just enough to make it bunch up a bit. Set it and leave it.

The thing is, the net makes a pretty good seal around the perimeter of the hammock, and the cinch cord mostly serves to keep the net down and in place. I don't think that opening is an issue.

I'm a big fan of treating nets with permethrin. It's not advertised as such, but it creates a bit of a no-fly zone around the hammock. This allows me to use 200 mesh netting, which is pretty big, and allows for good ventilation.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm going to make one of the Cricket polyester versions just to compare.
    Really like the Fronkey rig. Was able to put my raincoat & pants in the bottom where it was mostly cinched up. Only mozzies I saw were a couple trapped in the suspension hole. It was a little bunched up at the hammock, so they couldn't get in. Have gone to a tie cord there to close it off. 40's & 50's at night where I'm headed next.
    Hoping that the fine mesh will retain a little warmth and be breathable for those cooler nights and sunrise AM's where it drops off a lot.

Edit: Made one. It's hotter than noseeum with much less air flow. Tough material for a rookie like me to sew. Had to do some touch-ups, but it works.
    Tight fit on an 11 foot hammock. Will probably make another one with a few mods to my construction. Cut the 7" opening to 3" on the original assembly, but narrowed that to 1" after the first test hang.
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 07-29-2012 at 10:38. Reason: Update
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123