Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Question If Money is No Object...

I want the best underquilt I can get for use with my Hennessey Deep Jungle. I'm more concerned with weight and bulk in my pack than cost. I'll gladly pay more to keep the weight and bulk down. Having said this, what, in your opinion, is the best quilt for me? I get cold easily and I want an all-weather quilt. I'm 5'1", 110 pounds, if that matters. Currently I put a thermarest Neo Air in my hammock (although in reading posts it seems that many folks don't like to use air mattresses), and I use a summer-weight bag. When I need more warmth I add a thermolite reactor bag liner. I want to make my system more versatile si I'm looking at underquilts. I know there are a gazillion posts on underquilts and I checked many of them then just got overwhelmed. Many of those folks have budget concerns or want to make their own. I'm a lucky girl...I can buy what I want. Question is, what should it be?

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Hey Sunshine -- If you're looking for something to add more warmth during 3 season weather.. Check out Hammockgear.com. They make 3/4 size UQ. I have a zero degree phoenix -- I'm 5' 3" and thats a good length for me. talk to Adam & Jenny about the possibility of lighter/various materials, fill weights (depending on what low temps you expect to camp in) & even if you want to customize the size.

also - you mention you use a summer weight bag. take a look at their TQ's -- depending on the pack size & weight of your current bag -- their TQ's may be lighter & less bulk & possibly give you a higher temp rating - so you can use TQ for more than just summer.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You are probably going to want down rather than synthetic if weight and bulk are important. Good thing that money is no object.

If you get cold easily, and live in Texas, you probably want a 20* top quilt with a full-length UQ. I have a 20* 3/4 length UQ, and 20* top quilt, and have used them in nighttime temps ranging from 74 degrees to 16 degrees. You could go for a 0* TQ and UQ, but it won't be as versatile as a 20* system.

I don't use a topquilt over 74 degrees - too darn hot - but the UQ can be loosened if you get hot. For those really conscious about weight, well, they only carry as much insulation as the weather dictates. They buy a TQ/UQ for summer, spring/fall and winter. I can't afford to do that so I carry some extra weight in milder weather with my HG Phoenix 20* UQ at 18.7 oz (16.7 base model with 2 oz. overstuff) and the 20* Burrow TQ at 20.1 oz. Still, 2.42 lbs. of insulation is a lot less weight than my 4 lb. synthetic sleeping bag and blue ccf pad.

As for which quilt vendor you choose, you probably can't go wrong.

No offense to any other maker but my money would go to a Custom Hammock Gear down quilt.

Stormcrow (Adam) will make a quilt to any size (dimension) and fabric thats out there (well that he can get).

Like I said no offense to any other cottage makers.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Te-Wa is himself a smaller guy, and his UQs are smaller.

But, there are others who can and do make UQs lighter, making them with M50, cuben, and other hi-zoot fabrics and films. UQ's don't touch the ground or catch nails and bones, the way sleeping bags often do intentional or not, so fabric toughness can be a minimal consideration. The several UQ makers will tell you their access to and practice with the UL fabrics and films. Be aware that there may be an issue with cuben, as a vapor barrier. I wouldn't trust anyone else's experience to predict yours ;or most anyone's honesty, after the expense, in being forthcoming if the experience for them was negative.

No telling what you'd prefer, between a full length -- except it could be custom and shorter,-- or a partial --a 2/3 for others would be a 3/4 for you.

Easiest and fastest may be to buy from For Sale, try, pack, weigh, and re-sell. It is an active. liquid, and mostly transparent market here. Search rip waverly's record in an Advanced For Sale search, or one model of finding what works.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-20-2012 at 14:34.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i'd go to hammock gear. adam will talk your ear off for 30 minutes -- but at the end of it, you'll be wiser - and tuned into the state of the market. oh, and you'll be waiting for them to custom build whatever you decided on , with virtually any textile available.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Come to think of it, a 3/4 UQ would almost be a full-length at your height (61"). My HG 3/4 UQ is 52 inches long, while the full length is 78" long. You could always get a custom length to fit your size, so you're not carrying more insulation than you need.

Hammock
    12ft dream hammock freebird
    Tarp
    Cuben 4s,
    Insulation
    incubator/burro
    Suspension
    Straps/Woopies
    Images
    i have hammock gear top and bottom quilts , and they are well worth the money.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    I also enjoy top quality, lightweight, low bulk gear.

I just bought a 40 degree under quilt and top quilt from HammockGear.com Love their stuff. Adam devised a new suspension system that is great. You won't get better customer care.

These both fit into one stuff sack smaller than any sleeping bag I've seen. The Phoenix would be a full size under quilt for you and you can customize the length of the top quilt. The 850 down fill power is amazingly warm.

If money is not a limiting factor, I would head over to IceBreaker.com and pick up 260 weight top and bottoms. I would say that would get you an extra 10 degrees. You probably won't have many nights below 30 degrees in Texas. You won't regret either of these buys!

Enjoy shopping!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hey everyone, thanks for the input so far...I've read about Stormcrow and his Kick *** Quilts; haven't checked out Hammockgear yet but I will do so. And yes, I am in Texas, but I don't necessarily camp here! I'm headed to Colorado this fall, and next year I'm tackling the AT. I did 700 miles of it last year, including breaking ice off of my tent in the morning (before I became a swinger), and I just want to stay warm and dry! Thanks to hammocking I now stay dry but not always warm. I'll do some test trips this winter with whatever system I come up with, then next year I plan to thru-hike the AT. I'd hoped to last year but circumstances prevented it; 700 miles was all I did but I'm going to see it through this time! I know that much of it is about gear and comfort, and I don't mind paying for it in the interest of success.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast