Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    my personal preference is to always have something too warm than too cold - perfect example - I did an AT trip in April, forecast showed mid-high 50s, with altitude we would have been near high 40s. My trail partner brought a 40* bag and I had a 20* bag. Temps hit mid30s and he froze every night, with long underware - I was in shorts only and couldn't have told you it even got cold (till I woke up ready to get out of the rack).
    'tis better to vent than freeze!
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have a 0degree Incubator and have been in temps anywhere from 42-65 and have been comfortable wearing shorts and a tank and in a mummy liner.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I use a 20F JRB Mount Washington 3 UQ, and when the temp drops below 20F, I add a Thermarest pad and I'm good to below zero. I camp only a few times a year in -0F weather so it isn't worth it to me to have a 0F UQ, when the pad works great as a supplement with the only dedicated UQ that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The JRB Standard family of quilts has always been stackable .... IE , use a Shenandoah TQ with a Hudson River UQ late spring, summer and early fall...to double up on season... Use them both stacked as a UQ and us an Old Rag Mtn quilt as a TQ for winter... Max flexability in just three multifunction quilts.

Pan
    Can they be hung on the same suspension or does the outer UQ have to hang on a separate looser suspensions?

Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    ...'tis better to vent than freeze!
    I agree and I'm a warm sleeper.

Images
    Another thought, I got a 20* UQ from Paul and got some overfill down the center baffles only. It adds a little extra warm where I need it.

Hammock
    Dirty Bridge / Weasel / Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    Alot
    Insulation
    HG Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    A lot of them
    I use a 20 hammock gear Phoenix with 2oz overfill and use it in temps from 70 to 20
    Geektar
    Fulltimers Group

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I've got both 20F and 0F incubators with reg fills. The 0F is heavier and bulky. Most of the time, I have the 20F and has kelp me warm to 15F, but I had layers of clothing on also. below that, the 0F is really nice. If your temp range is mainly above 20F, I would stay with 20F. You can always add a Pad if colder also...

I agreed with you. I just started the hammock backpacking and I just ordered me a HG Incubator 0. since i do more of winter backpacking than the 3 seasons. However, I would just use my ridge rest for the summer season and try to use my 0 UQ for Fall until late fall. But then again, I hope to buy me a HG 20 for next Spring.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post
    I would recommend the 20 degree with draft collars and 1oz overfill
    My thoughts as well, if we're talking ~30°. No question about it.

If you think you will frequently go lower, then maybe a 0°. I don't really like the "better to have more than not enough" in this situation since a 20° would be fine since you're not pushing the limit by any means.

p.s. I've used my 20° +1oz in temps from 3°-50°F. I don't camp in anything much warmer. So I use my 20° 90% of the time. My 0° comes out for a few winter trips.
    Last edited by OneClick; 07-27-2015 at 14:43.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    It depends on what type of temps you plan to hang in the most. If you never plan on doing much hanging under 30° I would recommend the 20°. I have a HG incubator 0° I use all year. I vent it in the warmer months. I too, was stuck on which temp rating to buy. I ultimately decided I would rather have something that I knew would get me to colder temps and could be vented versus buying multiple quilts or trying to figure out how to add warmth. I hung on Saturday night this last weekend. Hot and humid Iowa summer night. I pulled it off to one side until late in the night. Works just fine for me.

I have used my 0* up to around 70* by venting with no trouble above that I use a fleece inside the hammock. if I was living where you live and only wanted to buy one quilt it would without doubt be the zero, it just gives you an easier option to go cooler if you desire without having to use additional insulation under the hammock. unless you go with Shug, in that case you'll need layers, lots a layers.

creek

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast