Images

Springer to NOC in late November

I am considering a hike over Thanksgiving starting from Springer going to the NOC. I am wondering if anybody here has information on weather conditions on the AT in late November/early December. If the lows can get much below 20 F, I will need some new gear additions (yippee!).

Also, any information about good spots to hang and parking/shuttle services would be appreciated.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Schneiderlein,

The weather that time of year can be 'iffy'. It isn't usually colder than 20's but there are exceptions. I would keep an eye on the forecast as your time gets closer. We've had kinda strange weather the past several years, so it's really hard to say definite things.

As far as shuttles go, if you need something in GA, one place to call is the HikerHostel run by Josh and Leigh Saint. If they can't help you, they would likely know who can!
    Their place is a great place to leave your vehicle while you are on the trail. They can shuttle you to the trailhead up by Springer to start your hike.

Enjoy your hike and maybe I will see you out there!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I want to second HikerHostel, They are great people and thier hostel is beautiful. They really helped me out this year when I got sick on the trail. They are also the cheapest shuttle I could find, but I don't know if they will go to NOC. It cost me 160 for a shuttle from Franklin. IF they can't do it try Ron Haven in Franklin. Springer has some really great hang sites just past the shelter accross the stream.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Thank you Perkolady and Dutch. I will call them about the shuttle. I think it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I live, so if I leave my car there and they can get me at the NOC, I will probably want to crash at the hostel before driving home. And my wife will be very happy about me coming home after taking a shower. Sounds like a good plan all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Schneiderlein,

The weather that time of year can be 'iffy'. It isn't usually colder than 20's but there are exceptions. I would keep an eye on the forecast as your time gets closer. We've had kinda strange weather the past several years, so it's really hard to say definite things.
    So, I guess what you are saying is I should make a new top quilt with more loft just in case? That's what I wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Enjoy your hike and maybe I will see you out there!
    Perkolady
    That would be wonderful.

Images
    Yeah. It can be cold or it can be hot. I think I had some days in the 80's last December or Jan. Then again there were days in the 30's or less. Regardless of what the weather people are saying I would be ready for the cold.

Also plan on a lot of darkness.

Awesome time to be out. I'm jealous.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Yeah. It can be cold or it can be hot. I think I had some days in the 80's last December or Jan. Then again there were days in the 30's or less. Regardless of what the weather people are saying I would be ready for the cold.
    I've made the mistake of trusting the weather people too much before. They said it was supposed to be in the mid 40s, ended up being 22. Won't make that mistake again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Also plan on a lot of darkness.
    I will bring spare batteries for the headlamp. I love night hiking and plan to do quite a bit of it.

Cool

Ive done a week long hang on this part of the AT the last few years (around the first week of november) and it has always gotten very cold. The first year we went, we left our cabin in Blueridge Ga at 6:30 am and the temp gage on the front portch was well below 20. Keep in mind this was at 1100', over 1000' lower than the lowest parts of the AT in north Ga. we went back inside and all grabed heavier jackets.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I am considering a hike over Thanksgiving starting from Springer going to the NOC. I am wondering if anybody here has information on weather conditions on the AT in late November/early December. If the lows can get much below 20 F, I will need some new gear additions (yippee!).

Also, any information about good spots to hang and parking/shuttle services would be appreciated.
    i hiked from hyw 19e to damascus virgina in early dec 2001.weather is variable
    you should be fine.neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts