Field testing of my NX250

Introduction

I made a post earlier about my experience trying out the NX-250 in the garden. Now I've had the chance to try it out in nature, so here are my thoughts on its performance there.

Though I originally intended for this to be a fairly easy trip, I for various reasons decided on the spot you see in the attached picture, which was relatively deep into the forest, far from the road. There were tons of insects on the ground, a lot of flying insects as well, and I actually saw a viper close to my camp a bit later. So basically, the hammock had a good chance to prove itself worthy in this environment.

Unpacking in the field

Unpacking the hammock itself was a fairly clean and easy task, even in this environment. It barely even needed to touch the ground. This was the first time I put up the tarp, so I had to spend quite a bit of time on it but I expect this is a process that will speed up in the future. +1

Sleeping in the hammock

Obviously this is the important part. The hammock was quite comfortable to lay in for an extended period of time before I managed to fall asleep. I have a bad back so I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was. I assumed a diagonal position in it and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke later in the middle of the night, and it had gotten quite cold (5C / 40F or so). The sleeping bag kept me warm enough for it not to be a problem, but I could now very easily notice the difference the isolating pockets on the head side of the hammock makes. I could easily feel the isolation being significantly better behind my back than below my legs.

If I add an UQ (And nothing else) to the mix, how low of a temperature should I expect to be able to go down to and still feel like "okay, its a bit chilly but I can handle this"?

Packing in the field

This is really where the NX-250 really shines. Losen the knots on the tarp, put tarp in hammock, losen the knots on the hammock, put hammock into itself, done. It worked just as well out in the field as when I tried it in the garden. +1

Summary
    I'm quite convinced I've made a good purchase, even though it was a bit more expensive than the alternatives. Hopefully, it will be able to stand up to my abuse for some time too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...
    Nice review and set up. Thank's
    "When you get to the end of your rope,tie a knot and Hang On."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A 20F (-5C) 3/4 UQ on an NX-250 very reliably takes me to 15F with just a 32F (0C) top quilt. Even if you do not use the pockets for insulation, they protect you from the drafts that might follow the furrows in the hammock bottom by enclosing those furrows. Below 32F/ 0C my feet need attention from a second pair of woolly wool socks or a pad. No surprise there: no pockets underneath the feet, and the feet press on the hammock bottom, conducting heat away.

Looking at your photo reminds me that my feet might be warmer if I reversed head and foot in winter, at least for a trial. But, I do so appreciate the heavy inside loop Clark sewed into the head-end channel, and I would miss that. Also, the weathershield adds some warmth, zipped just to your shoulders and laying across you as a thin wind-stopping top sheet.

Hammock
    Clark NX270 NX250, 2- Flex 180's
    Tarp
    Underground WD
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 10 &20
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl
    a black nx 250 ??????

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Because of the visual dominance of the green pockets and end hoods, you may not think of the hammock as black. Even the camo Clarks have black beds. All Clark hammocks are black.

eightweight, the top part is green and the pockets, the belly is black.

debolaz, you did a great job, and you will be surprised to find that it just keeps getting better. Oh yes, with any care at all, these things are pretty tough, and you can expect a good long life from it.

Hammock
    clarke Nx 250/ woodsman x ?
    Tarp
    ML Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    ukhammocks modular
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by debolaz View Post
    Introduction

I made a post earlier about my experience trying out the NX-250 in the garden. Now I've had the chance to try it out in nature, so here are my thoughts on its performance there.

Though I originally intended for this to be a fairly easy trip, I for various reasons decided on the spot you see in the attached picture, which was relatively deep into the forest, far from the road. There were tons of insects on the ground, a lot of flying insects as well, and I actually saw a viper close to my camp a bit later. So basically, the hammock had a good chance to prove itself worthy in this environment.

Unpacking in the field

Unpacking the hammock itself was a fairly clean and easy task, even in this environment. It barely even needed to touch the ground. This was the first time I put up the tarp, so I had to spend quite a bit of time on it but I expect this is a process that will speed up in the future. +1

Sleeping in the hammock

Obviously this is the important part. The hammock was quite comfortable to lay in for an extended period of time before I managed to fall asleep. I have a bad back so I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was. I assumed a diagonal position in it and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke later in the middle of the night, and it had gotten quite cold (5C / 40F or so). The sleeping bag kept me warm enough for it not to be a problem, but I could now very easily notice the difference the isolating pockets on the head side of the hammock makes. I could easily feel the isolation being significantly better behind my back than below my legs.

If I add an UQ (And nothing else) to the mix, how low of a temperature should I expect to be able to go down to and still feel like "okay, its a bit chilly but I can handle this"?

Packing in the field

This is really where the NX-250 really shines. Losen the knots on the tarp, put tarp in hammock, losen the knots on the hammock, put hammock into itself, done. It worked just as well out in the field as when I tried it in the garden. +1

Summary
    I'm quite convinced I've made a good purchase, even though it was a bit more expensive than the alternatives. Hopefully, it will be able to stand up to my abuse for some time too.
    Good review well done buddy, YES YOU HAVE MADE A CRACKING PURCHASE
    TRUST ME YOU WILL NOT FORGET IT MINE IS USED IN THE WINTERS AND I SLEEP LIKE A BABY [less the dummy ].
    "THE FINAL STEPS WHICH WE MAKE IN LIFE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MOVE SLOWLY"... r. s. g . 1966

Hammock
    Clark Jungle NX-250
    Insulation
    3-season Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Good review, I love my NX250, did put whoopie slings and really makes setup even easier.

i liked the whoopies at first but went to cinch buckles b/c when i had some weight in the hammock from pad, bag etc it seemed like the whoopies wouldn't adjust as easy for me that is. I still like'em though.

• + New Posts