Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Aside from announcing yourself you also want to consider your timing. Give folks a couple of minutes to get arranged after you call out but before you get too close.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I call out to see if I may approach. Sometimes I do not even use a tarp. I may still get changed laying in the quilts. I prefer to offer the same curtosy that I expect to be extended to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Aside from announcing yourself you also want to consider your timing. Give folks a couple of minutes to get arranged after you call out but before you get too close.
    Ditto.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I approach another's tarp/tent as I would if I were knocking on their door--always announce yourself, give them time to respond, be respectful. Manners are appropriate no matter the setting.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great question! Whats funny is, I remember reading that most Native American cultures had customs that delt with the same issue. (its not a new problem!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just found this : Tepee Etiquette: If the entrance flap was open, it was an invitation to enter. If the flap was closed, you needed to announce yourself and wait for an invitation to enter a tepee, even if you lived there. A guest always sat to the left of the head of the family, who always sat the farthest from the door flap. These were rules that everyone knew and everyone followed.
    Found at nativeamericans.mrdonn.org/plains/teepees.html

Thought it was interesting!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I always try to announce myself when coming into camp, regardless of the tarp's pitch. It's just good manners, unless it's so late that no one in their right mind would be awake (I've rolled into camp a couple of times at group hangs after 1 AM).

And it may be a safety issue as well; I tend to snap awake, sometimes violently in motion, if grabbed by someone without adequate warning. I wouldn't want someone else to do that, either.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think of tarps a bit like jack o'lanterns at Halloween. I was always taught to only knock on the doors of homes with a lit jack o'lantern. If I see a setup with a tarp in porch mode, I view it as an invitation to say "hello".

I would never approach a camp, neon welcome sign or not, without calling out a "Hello!?" first. Etiquette aside, it just isn't safe.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Interesting discussion here but in the past not camped so much so no one aproached to my campsite where I had not alone but also with some tent campers. Should I call they ground dwellers?
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This strays very slightly off topic, but.

I just returned from my first "car camping" trip in a very long time. I've wilderness camped exclusively for over 20 years. My canoe trips are usually solo, or with a couple other people. I was amazed at how blatant people were at checking out every aspect of my campsite as they walked past. If I walked past another campsite, I'd acknowledge them with a quick glance and nod, then eyes back down till I was past! A few large tarps are essential for any privacy.

Back to the bush for me.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    reminds me of an old signature i had. pretty much my attitude when hiking or camping.

--unknown
    Best. Ever.
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast