HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Whoopie Guy Lines

So I thought I'd try dynaglide whoopies for my tarp guy lines. Typically I was running some paracord with figure 9s, or truckers hitches, but I had this extra dynaglide laying around and thought, why not?

I must say, it's pretty awesome. Extremely quick set up and tear down. Though it was not windy so I don't know how it will be for that, but I suspect it will be fine so long as the winds aren't too crazy. But at that point I think I'd be a little more concerned about my life rather than my guy lines.

On a side note, I just finished my ridgeline setup for me and the lady and am quite excited to try it out. I made some loops with the stock Hennessy guy line material (off the hyperlite), and the Hennessy clips off their prussik do-hickys. It's actually a hollow braid material, but I'm not sure of its strength. Then I made another loop with a figure 9 to tension the ridgeline. It's going to be sliiiiiick once I can get out!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Whoopies aren't great under tension (as in a guyline). You basically need three arms to tighten them in that application, one to adjust the loop, one to hold/release the bury, and another arm to work the loose end.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I see this topic come up every so often and there are always some people hat say it's bad... But my experience in the last 4 months or so has been pretty great! I guess it comes down to HYOH.....
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've read that too, so I actually wanted to test it out to make sure that it would work. It wasn't difficult to tension, and the ridgeline has enough flex in it to allow the whoopie to be depressured enough to loosen, because you only need to loosen it just enough to get the loop off the stake. In fact if the ridgeline has enough flex you might be able to just pull down enough to get the loop off the stake.

I do use stretched paracord for the ridgeline though. A lot of people don't like it because it stretches when wet, but I just tension the line enough to account for the stretch. I also use broken in paracord for the ridgeline as brand new paracord would not work well for this practice.

But, I have not tried this setup in adverse weather conditions, so we'll see how it fares over the next few months of usage.

Edit: I could make a video on how I do it if anyone is interested.

• + New Posts