DIY tarp suggestions

I'm new to the hammock world and I'm looking to make myself a lightweight tarp to use on an up coming 8 day trip in Pecos, NM. For past trips sleeping on the ground I used an 8x10 piece of 6 mil. plastic that me and my assistant leader slept under. Rather than using the 6 mil plastic again I thought I might go for something light for my hammock tarp.

I was given a Go-Lite 6-man shelter that has a couple tears in it and I'm planning on using the material for my tarp. There's enough material to go a couple different ways and I wanted get some expert opinions. Not exactly sure what weight the material is, but it's pretty light. I think it's - SilLite silicone-impregnated ripstop nylon.

I can get about 9.5' x 5'+ out each side. So I could make the following:
    1. Asym tarp out of 1 piece. (lightest option)
    2. A Hex tarp by sewing the 2 pieces together.
    3. 9x9, 8x10, 9x10 rectangle or diamond shaped tarp. Or anything else that I can come up with.

My girl is great with a sewing machine, so she's going to help.

Do you guys have any expert opinions on what kind of tarp I should make? I'd like to stay light, but want to make sure I have enough coverage also. Do the small Asym tarps give good coverage?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If nothing else I would make a tarp that had at least a 10' ridge line length. As for how much side coverage you need, that is up to you and your skill at pitching a smaller tarp.

At minimum you will need one that is 12" longer than the ridge line length of your hammock. That will 6" of overlap on each end of the tarp.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If nothing else I would make a tarp that had at least a 10' ridge line length. As for how much side coverage you need, that is up to you and your skill at pitching a smaller tarp.

At minimum you will need one that is 12" longer than the ridge line length of your hammock. That will 6" of overlap on each end of the tarp.

Cheers

Brian
    +1 on all that. Personally, I would go for the 9x9 and run it diamond style. That should give you about 11 1/2' on the ridgeline and only need two stakes.

• + New Posts