Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies

Anyone tried a UQ extension for a Yeti 2/3 length?

Where I go hanging here in NSW it's mostly only only down to freezing or a little below, even in mid-winter (like now). With those temps I find my 3-season 2/3 length Yeti UQ (with my HG 20°F TQ) works for me from shoulders to knees. But even with a 12mm (1/2 in) thick CCF footpad, and wearing long johns and possum/merino socks my lower legs and feet get cold in the wee hours.

Rather than getting a second UQ such as a full length or whatever a UQ that reaches from shoulders to feet is called, I thought a snap-on down-filled extension for the Yeti that goes from under the knees and covers around under the footbox of the WBBB would do the job, since I'll only need the extension in the colder months.

Has anyone made or had made such a device? I figure that the extension UQ should have about the same fill and loft as the Yeti, and maybe a draft tube to "seal" the join to the Yeti. The snaps would take care of connecting it to the Yeti, but how could it be connected at the foot end? Maybe a cinch with shock cord?

Any thoughts, advice, or ideas?
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Intresting topic. Ive got the same quilts as you. Ive found a thin 3mm foot pad has been more than sufficient for me. Even down to 0c.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Yeah just individual differences I guess. My wife has exactly the same setup as me but doesn't get the cold feet problem during the night in the hammock like I do. But during the day she feels the cold way more than me and wears more layers than I do, especially around camp in the mornings and evenings. So go figure.

Not sure I'll be making or getting the UQ extension this year since I'm only expecting 1 or 2 outings before spring arrives, but I'm looking to get something sorted before next autumn.
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    The Jacks used to sell a model of their Mount Washington 3 quilt that was two pieces that attached using omni tape. You could use it like a 3/4 uq or put together as a full length. Worked very well. I own one but prefer a full length. Keep it around as a spare for friends/family.

S

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Or you could try these from Arrowhead Equipment,,they will keep your feet and legs warm..

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/2837445
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    The Jacks used to sell a model of their Mount Washington 3 quilt that was two pieces that attached using omni tape. You could use it like a 3/4 uq or put together as a full length. Worked very well. I own one but prefer a full length. Keep it around as a spare for friends/family.
    How does the suspension work on that UQ?
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Funny how everyone is different. I'm fine with 8mm CCF down to -7°C ??
    I would have thought 12mm is heaps of insulation and it's possibly something else causing the cold feet. Are you wearing a warm hat (I would be pretty certain you do)

I did read somewhere that you can rig a down jacket up to do what your asking around your feet. It might even have been Shug that did it.

If it's mainly cold feet you could try down booties. I just got some and they are amazing and pack so small. I've even had great sucess in really cold weather using bread bags under my socks as a vapour barrier, That works really really well actually.

No experience with a UQ extender but I guess it could be done.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'd looked at the Arrowhead booties and had seen the new ones that go up to the knees, and thought maybe they'd be a good solution. But I wondered if compression of the down on the underside like what happens with a sleeping bag would limit the insulating effect of the booties?

BTW, I wear a Blackrock down hat for sleeping, it's great. My down jacket is my pillow, so I could try rigging it under my feet and use something else as a pillow. I really like having a soft pillow both for head support and to keep the suspension cord of the Yeti UQ off of the left side of my face.
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

S
    I have the original no longer produced Climashield Yeti, as well as the above mentioned JRB MW3 convertible, both of which work great. Since the JRB convertible with the add on foot section works great, I see no reason why a well designed DIY version for the Yeti would not work just the same. Another thing: Experiment with wrapping a puffy parka or vest around the foot of the hammock, you might get a good foot warmth boost from that. Shug likes this approach.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Acer those flame thower super down socks work great, I used them on the Roan last year is serious cold BUT they are down and the down will compress under your heals...so compressed down and thin hammock body material can still get you cold feet.
    As mentioned what most use is a piece of ccf but this year I'm going to do the Shug trick where he uses his down vest to augment the feet area hanging the down vest on the outside of the hammock like the UQ.
    Seems like I'm always carrying a vest ~core insurance~ not always down, sometimes the Thermawrap, but getting double use out of it would be sweet.

• + New Posts