Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Allegheny Front Trail July 17-22 Trip Report

TwoTents, Sweetbabyd, and Blackwolf ( sort of) and I started a 41 mile hike on Tuesday July 17th just after Lunch on a wonderful 97 degree day! The hike this summer was on the Allegheny Front Trail that loops around Black Moshannon State Park in Central Pa. We finished up the hike on Saturday July 21st completing the 41 mile loop. WE loved the trail so much that we spent another night on the trail at the spring near Smay's Run to make it a 6 day adventure. We were joined on the trail Friday evening by Eyapjr to make it a group of 4 to finish the hike.
    It was a great hike with some great various terrain-- high vista views, flatlands, stream bank hiking, meadows, hemlocks and a fields of Blueberries. We even came across an artesian well that was feeding a spring. Water was good and plentiful along the trail and other that the last day in the Northeast section, most of the trail was clear and well maintained. Kudos to the Keystone trail Association for all the hard work in keeping the AFT ( Allegheny Front Trail) well maintained. Two thumps up for the AFT!!
    Here is the photobucket link for the pics:
    AFT 2012
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had the album set to private by mistake-sorry!!
    It is fixed now!!
    AFT hike 2012

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great pics.

BlackWolf, what kind of scat was that? Did it taste like berries?

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Wonderful Picts. Looks like you has a great time in spite of the heat.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Great pics.

BlackWolf, what kind of scat was that? Did it taste like berries?
    I will be seeking consulting in "The art of being spiteful" ...

I know why now I was so wore out .. from hiking the Allegheny Front Trail and refereeing the World Championships {71 bouts} simultaneously .. all the while forging on wild dung ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great pics. I enjoyed the variety of fungi. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I will be seeking consulting in "The art of being spiteful" ...

I know why now I was so wore out .. from hiking the Allegheny Front Trail and refereeing the World Championships {71 bouts} simultaneously .. all the while forging on wild dung ..
    Your Welcome!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

more pics from the AFT

my companions were reliable, up-beat and funny, and we had a great time! i highly recommend the AFT for anyone who wants a nice variety of scenery...and GIANT blueberries in july!

-total pack weight of Zpacks cuben pack with four accessory pouches and front pack, 5 days food, toiletries, first-aid, no water 22lbs.
    -used WB blackbird hammock, Zpacks cuben tarp, whoopies, dutch hook and Flyz, HG summer top and bottom quilts. imusa mug and titanium Esbit stove. (worked great and the soot is easier to clean off than from a wood fire). Sawyer Squeeze filter. Black Diamond Spot lamp. Tilley hat!! (thank you J.D.! Light my Fire/Mora knife. coleman folding saw. trail guide, notebook, camera. Spot II device. it rained a lot and a big *fail* on not bringing another pair of socks!

things i would leave: the saw until winter, although i did use it to blear a small tree - on the wrong trail!
    things i would bring: more socks. i only brought two pairs of hikers and two pairs of liners. and i foolishly got them all wet.

my Ahnu boots, though e-Vent material, stayed wet and mildewy at the end of the trip. much more thought is going into footwear, and i had a gentle lesson, no harm, just... stinky...

what worked really well: my Spot II gps messaging device. thank you Pat (Country Roads) for showing me your SPOT and explaining what it could and couldn't do. i was so happy to be able to send my husband Jim pre-programmed messages throughout the day that "everything's OK!" even with no cell service. he then can follow a link from his phone or computer to see the coordinates and exactly where i am! cool!

blah blah blah...it was an awesome trip! here are more pics! PS Black Wolf: you were on the cover of AT Magazine!! missed you!

http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/r...miles/?start=0

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    TwoTents, Sweetbabyd, and Blackwolf ( sort of) and I started a 41 mile hike on Tuesday July 17th just after Lunch on a wonderful 97 degree day! The hike this summer was on the Allegheny Front Trail that loops around Black Moshannon State Park in Central Pa. We finished up the hike on Saturday July 21st completing the 41 mile loop. WE loved the trail so much that we spent another night on the trail at the spring near Smay's Run to make it a 6 day adventure. We were joined on the trail Friday evening by Eyapjr to make it a group of 4 to finish the hike.
    It was a great hike with some great various terrain-- high vista views, flatlands, stream bank hiking, meadows, hemlocks and a fields of Blueberries. We even came across an artesian well that was feeding a spring. Water was good and plentiful along the trail and other that the last day in the Northeast section, most of the trail was clear and well maintained. Kudos to the Keystone trail Association for all the hard work in keeping the AFT ( Allegheny Front Trail) well maintained. Two thumps up for the AFT!!
    Here is the photobucket link for the pics:
    AFT 2012
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It was a great trip. More socks next time. MML is a non stop joker. My kinda people. Sweetbabyd, well, she is always upbeat and has a smile all the time. She has a good heart. I got a little case of heat something the first day and those two stayed with me, looked after me and got me to the camp site where I got over my lack of water or too much sun. It's nice to hike with people who know what to do, and then do it. Thanks guys. Enyapjr showed up on Friday at almost dark. He knows and loves the outdoors and is a positive person to hang out with. Sorry that we somehow missed BobMac. I like hearing all of his stories. And BlackWolf, you were missed and spoke of highly. You were there in spirit and a cut out photo. What a fun weekend. ben, my dog, was so good on the trip. He isn't ever really any trouble even at home. Just a great trip that is reflected in the pictures. Thanks everyone for some good memories.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    You guys were in thought as well, I truly missed hiking with you all .. Thanks for keeping me in your hearts and minds .. A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world. I have a very big world !!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast