Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Sewing for the visually challenged

I got a tablecloth blank today and was jacked about sewing channels in the ends and hanging it immediately. However, I quickly got more discouraged and frustrated than I have ever experienced with the thread injector.

First of all, I am blind in one eye and have 70% vision in the other. It took me 15 minutes to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Threading the needle alone took five minutes. My eyes were very tired from a full day of work, and I couldn't find my headlamp (which I normally use for sewing).

The tablecloth fabric was purple, and my thread was black. There simply wasn't enough contrast for someone visually challenged. Lesson learned - I will never buy black (or even remotely dark) thread, because I can't see it. Very hard to sew a straight stitch if you can't see the thread. From now I'm buying lime green thread or something really bright. Sewing is a 3-D thing and I'm operating in 2D.

My initial plan was 2 1/8" channels, triple stitched. However, I just couldn't see what I was doing. I ended up quadruple stitching the channels, They're not pretty or straight, but I think they'll hold up fine once I larkshead an Amsteel continuous loop through the channels.

I've got my Amsteel, I've got my Dutch Whoopie Hooks, and tomorrow I look forward to doing some plain old splicing of continuous loops and whoopie slings that doesn't require a magnifying glass for me to see what I'm doing.

I had envisioned doing a lot more DIY in the future, but today was particularly frustrating. I may have to invest in low-vision aids or something 'cause I'm totally exhausted. Maybe all I need is to pace myself - get proper lighting, plenty of rest, and a really big magnifying glass like jewelers or watch repairmen use.

I don't know much about what people as blind as me do when attempting something like sewing, but I intend to find out. Any other visually challenged sewers out there? Any tips you can offer me? This is the first time that my vision has really let me down, and I'm feeling pretty low.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Not sewing, but visually challenged with tight tolerances in his off time:

A neighbor of mine back in the 'nineties was legally blind to drive (not sure what that equates to, but he definitely didn't have good vision). He used to fly fish, and he made his own flies. As part of his set-up for making them, he had one of those magnifying glasses with the light built-in and a pair of alligator clips to hold his stuff. It seemed to work for him.

Don't know if that helps at all, but...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not sewing, but visually challenged with tight tolerances in his off time:

A neighbor of mine back in the 'nineties was legally blind to drive (not sure what that equates to, but he definitely didn't have good vision). He used to fly fish, and he made his own flies. As part of his set-up for making them, he had one of those magnifying glasses with the light built-in and a pair of alligator clips to hold his stuff. It seemed to work for him.

Don't know if that helps at all, but...
    I have to find one of those magnifying glasses. I'm legally able to drive, but detail work is an incredible strain on my brain.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    My dad was born legally blind but you'd never know it if you watched him. He felt his way around everything and could do a lot of things better than sighted people. Like fixing the steering cable on a boat, I tried for ten minutes and was ready to just jump overboard, he felt around under there and got it on the first try.
    He could sew, but he used a jeweller's lens to do it (he also used it to read the newspaper). Light didn't really help him much because he said that all he saw was varying shades of gray, unless something glittered in the sunlight, he could definately see that. I wonder is some sort of metallic thread against dark fabric might work for you? Or try to feel your way around things like my dad did, although, being almost totally blind from birth, he didn't know any other way.
    I feel for you, being visually impaired sucks. I'm not as bad as dad was, but without my glasses or contacts, I'm lost.
    Debi

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can drive and play baseball, basketball, golf, and other sports. It's just the tiny stuff I struggle with, like sewing. I guess you could say I was prepared for eventual blindness because I had two separate instances of blindness as a child: one at six years old (girlfriend threw sand in my eyes), and one at 12 years old (sister accidentally gouged my eyes out - it was a strange accident).

Both accidents required patches on both eyes for eight weeks - I learned to do a lot of things without eyesight during that time. I pretty much memorized the entire house and neighborhood. I got around fine without eyesight during those times.

I do a lot of things by feel now because I just don't have the vision for fine motor skills. Threading a needle is definitely a feel thing for me because there is no freaking way I could ever thread a needle by sight alone, not with my current visual aids.

Like your dad, I've adapted to limited vision, but I hope to get some better visual aids. My eye doctor is great, but he doesn't listen to me when I ask for visual aids. "Why would you need expensive visual aids?" he asks. "You still have one good eye." And when I tell him I want to sew, he says, "Why would you want to sew? You're blind in one eye. There are not a lot of one-eyed seamstresses."

Sometimes I hate doctors.

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    i think i would find another doctor, one that would listen to me and try to help me
    you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself. - ricky nelson

HYOH

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Maybe something like this will help....

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    These will definitely make your life easier too: Self-threading machine needles

Hope you're diggin' that tablecloth hammock, my friend!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My old eyes need more light than they used to. I've found the little Freedom Photon lights with their magnetic mounts will stick to my Singer 9210 just right. I used to think that my super-bright Zebra headlamp was an unjustifiable luxury. No longer.

I sometimes cuss when sewing black fabric with black thread, but when I made a yellow tarp with black thread I could see all my mistakes perfectly.

I'm grateful for two good eyes, though. More power to you, SS.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have to find one of those magnifying glasses. I'm legally able to drive, but detail work is an incredible strain on my brain.
    I have drugstore reading glasses scattered around the house. They are simply magnifying lenses and come in a variety of powers. Keep in mind that the higher the magnification, the closer you have to be to the work. If you have never used them, try on a few different powers at the store and you'll quickly get the idea.

You'll also want a high intensity lamp next to the sewing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast