View Poll Results: What do you use to keep dirt and oils to yourself instea of your quilt/bag?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use a bag liner and let me tell you what type.

5 25.00%
  • I wear some clothing, let me tell you about them.

13 65.00%
  • Lorethian, you have this all wrong, let me tell you my system.

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps

To bag liner or not?

I am thinking about getting a bag liner to sleep in under my NS quilt. My goal here is to reduce the oil and dirt that goes from me to the quilt. I would like to hear your thoughts. Should I use a bag liner, a base layer that I only wear to bed, or is there a better way to do this? What do you all use?

Images
    Bag liner or spare clothes just for sleeping are extra weight, and after a few days out everything picks up the smell regardless. I would just wash the quilt every once in a while.

Ditto Schneiderlein.
    1. A quilt stays cleaner than a bag.
    2. Sleep clothing - the long tops and bottoms and sleep socks everyone should carry for emergencies in all but the most benign climate - is easily washed and works better than any liner. RE: sleep/emergency clothing -- whatever is comfortable, either merino wool or synthetic.
    3. Unless you have outstandingly poor personal hygeine, the bag should not need washing, just a surface wipe-off with an alcohol-dampened cloth. Experienced bags start to smell like a warm puppy -- comforting.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Clean sleep clothing, clean hands, gloves, etc. keeps the oil/dirt off my quilts
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Experienced bags start to smell like a warm puppy -- comforting.
    I like that one
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    unless you sweat too much from using them when it is too hot. they they smell like a wet dog.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Smile Liner for bag

Okay. I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. Back in the day when I was a young 12-year old Scout, about 1958, all I had was an old, hand-me-down Army bag, canvas exterior and probably cotton batting for a filler. Anything I could put on me while I was sleeping was a plus in Jan thru Mar. Worrying about dirt and oil was not an issue if you wanted to stay warm in those days. What the heck was a liner??????
    Skip ahead to todays' modern equipment. I have had about 3 or 4 bags over the last 15 years. Now I carry a light weight cotton mummy liner for my bag and/or down quilt. It serves 3 purposes: 1) it keeps the bag somewhat cleaner than not having one; 2) it adds about 4 to 5 degrees more comfort to the bag/quilt rating, plus it takes away those cold edges of the synthetics inside the bag; and 3) I can use it separately when the bag or down quilt is too much for the conditions. Total weight -about 6 ozs. I think I can carry that for the extra options it gives me. A strong second to the note above that says use clean clothes for bed. Hang those stinky day clothes outside.
    One last thing I have noticed through about 50 years of camping. The more clothes you have on inside a modern bag, the less the bag contributes to your warmth, i.e. you are to some extent insulating your body heat inside the clothing, which means less body heat reaches the insulation in the bag to be trapped and provide the warm barrier between you and the outside air. Too much clothing and you can sweat inside the clothes - not good.
    As with all the different things one can do to be comfortable while camping, hiking, hanging, etc., everyone has to eventually find what works best for themselves. Adapt, overcome, move on!
    Best of luck in your outdoor adventures.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Extra weight, IMO. In cool weather, I sleep in silkweight or midweight long johns and usually dry socks. In warm weather, I just sleep in my hiking clothes most of the time...as discussed above. Mine has a good smell to it...not funky yet but I can tell it's been used. Comforting is a good way to put it. When it gets funky I'll just wash it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Woodland Edge Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition
    Insulation
    Down under Quilt
    Images

Thumbs up Sleeping

Hope I am not going to get kicked of the site, as I have noticed that most of you guys are Hikers, I'm afraid my hiking days are over due to medical problems, Blocked arteries, and of course age, so I took to canoeing, which with hindsight wished Id done years ago, any way back to subject matter, for bed attire I only use a set of clothing dependant on the weather, and wash after every outing, the clothing consists of track suit bottoms, tee shirt, socks, that's for summer, winter just as above but I use a fleece. Mind you here in the Uk we dont get the extremes as you guys.
    I would just like to say how much I enjoy reading The reports and sort of envy you for the wilderness that you can enjoy.
    would like to say I may meet some of you one day, but the likelihood of that is pretty remote, but Hey Never say Never. Happy Hammocking Bill

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    If you said you didn't hammock and were against it, you might get kicked. But not due to not hiking. There are alot here that don't hike.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast