Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Blackbird and Speers SnugFit?

My full length DIY UQ just isn't doing the job on the Blackbird. Has anyone tried the Speer SF? I looks terrific and is on sale.
    Huh, huh?????
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm gonna install my SF on my BB this weekend. I'll let you know. It should work just fine though.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My full length DIY UQ just isn't doing the job on the Blackbird. Has anyone tried the Speer SF? I looks terrific and is on sale.
    Huh, huh?????
    Shug
    How is it not doing the job? wings in the way? Footbox hard to work around? (these are potential snags I've observed...) How would the SF adapt better?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    How is it not doing the job? wings in the way? Footbox hard to work around? (these are potential snags I've observed...) How would the SF adapt better?
    My UQ is custom shaped and works better with the foot to the left. In the BB I am feet right, head left so it just won't cover my feet. I could mod it but not sure I want to right now. Maybe .... but I started looking at the SF and it looks toasty.
    Thanks for the interest.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Post your results when you do this - I think the only issue you may have is that the snugfit will restrict the footbox on the Blackbird slightly, so the hammock interior will "shrink," and not allow you to "stretch out" the same as without the UQ attached.

I would like to know if anyone has tried the snugfit on a bridge hammock, as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, the SnugFit seems to fit fine on the BlackBird. I haven't used it in the field (just my basement) yet, so I can't say if there is a compression issue at the footbox. However, it shouldn't matter because you are also going to have the footbox of your quilt/bag down there too. Gonna be tough to get cold through all that.

Shug: The SnugFit is crazy warm and cozy. If they'd fill it with Helium I'd take it with me everywhere.

DOES NOT WORK ON THE BRIDGE!!! Genuine Draft bought a Bridge at Trail Days and tried to sleep in it using the SnugFit. It was a cold night and she was miserable. The spreader bars seem to be a culprit but I think most of it is just due to the flat lay of the Bridge, there's nothing to 'snug' up to on the bottom the way the SnugFit is cut. Maybe someone can do some customizing, but we had to take the Bridge back the next day. I was bummed, it seemed like a good excuse to get a Bridge.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Shug: The SnugFit is crazy warm and cozy. If they'd fill it with Helium I'd take it with me everywhere.
    Agreed! I love mine, especially now that I have my Top Blanket III. I'm very much looking forward to using it with my custom made NCP Hammock Sock at the Winter Hang.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    However, it shouldn't matter because you are also going to have the footbox of your quilt/bag down there too. Gonna be tough to get cold through all that.
    Not worried about cold, the footbox is what helps make the blackbird such a flat lay.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well then...... I put a cinch on the end of my full UQ (which end up being more of a 3/4 UQ on the BB ... it was a bit short to begin with) and that helped cover my footbox.
    OQ footbox.jpg
    Also added channels on the sides for shock cord to go through. Only problem was now it would not come to my shoulders. So I took my 1/2 10 oz. UQ and added it along with my other UQ.
    UQ end.jpg
    UQs side.jpg
    Now I am set for MN winter. Still need to test over night but a wee nap today felt good and warm ... no cold spots that I could feel. More than likely add a pad as well as I usually do in temps under 10º but will attempt with no pad first. Why not .... indoors is close.
    Going to be down to 15º tonight but may snuggle with me wife.
    I wish I could get a new UQ, Snugfit or make my own but budget is a bit tight now so I have to have willpower. When that time comes it will save me some ounces but a feller needs to be confident that warmth will not allude him here in the cold North.
    Thanks for all the input everyone..... I want a SnugFit!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Not worried about cold, the footbox is what helps make the blackbird such a flat lay.
    Sorry I misunderstood your concern.

If that's what you're worried about, then you need not be worried. The SnugFit is pretty 'stretchy', I don't even notice it when I put my feet in the footbox of either my older Warbonnet ElDorado or the new BlackBird. No different than laying diagonal in a Trek, ENO, TTTM, etc. The quilt just forms to whatever.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast