Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Okay, as long as youve learned your lesson, we will forgive you. You are on unsupervised probation. Dont let it happen again. (Boy, does that sound all too familiar!) BD
    Isn't that one usually preceded by some function involving a maglite?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - like a maglite tatoo on the forehead.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Yeah - like a maglite tatoo on the forehead.
    "Im not sure what your refering to Captain" (Sounds like a recent conversation I had)! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Well, in my attempt to make a doubles hammock, I learned something about ring buckles. Slippage seems to be caused by rings that are too big for the webbing. I was using 1.5" webbing for the doubles hammock in a 1" ring. Chantelle set up one side and we both got into the hammock. What I didn't realize is that she didn't bother to align the rings. However, there was no slippage, and they were not even close to aligned. I am thinking 3/4" would be perfect for 1" webbing.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Well, in my attempt to make a doubles hammock, I learned something about ring buckles. Slippage seems to be caused by rings that are too big for the webbing. I was using 1.5" webbing for the doubles hammock in a 1" ring. Chantelle set up one side and we both got into the hammock. What I didn't realize is that she didn't bother to align the rings. However, there was no slippage, and they were not even close to aligned. I am thinking 3/4" would be perfect for 1" webbing.
    Not sure I follow you on that. Why would you want your rings to be smaller than your webbing? My set-up as per Just Jeff's recommendation has me using SMC rings with an internal diameter of 1.5" .The Speer webbing is 1". Those seem to be the standard sizes used.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That may actually be a promising solution to the slippage....the smaller rings would cause the webbing to bunch up, probably creating more friction. Sound about right, lvleph?

On the other hand, the bunching may wear the webbing quicker, too. Guess only time would tell on that one.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    The webbing doesn't bunch up it just curves around the ring. It makes it very stable.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The webbing doesn't bunch up it just curves around the ring. It makes it very stable.
    OK cool...that's pretty much what I meant. Sometimes my descriptive powers aren't that great

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Just looked at my rings/webbing and you may be onto something. Smaller rings...hmmm... Am curious to hear what others think. Gosh I would hate to try to untie the bowline knots in my spectra now. Those babys are tight.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Ridgerunner,Homemade,Hennessey BP
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, MacCat
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    Images
    Okay, I am sold on replacing my HH spectra cord and tree huggers with the ring/biner/webbing combination. I have ordered the items to do this, but before starting, I have a couple of questions (actually, I will have a lot of questions since this forum is enticing me to try other DIY projects, but I will address those in a different thread).

Regarding the knot tying the rings together; I have seen several interesting proposals offered here and am thinking of using the Anchor Hitch, but am curious whether anyone has done further tests and what their conclusions are. Also, I am wondering if having just one loop of cord through the rings and finishing with a Bow Line hitch would solve the problem of the rings being pulled out of alignment since there would only be one loop putting equal pressure on the rings. Comments from the engineering gallery?

Secondly, when I ordered the rings and biners, I was only anticipating changing the HH, but have since decided to also make a homemade Speer type hammock. To prevent having to order an additional set of rings, I am thinking of cutting the spectra close to the end of the HH and tying a loop in it. Then I would use an additional cord from the cut off (~ 12" long) to tie to the rings ala Just Jeff instructions and attach that to the loop with a larks head. Thoughts on the strength of this attachment and the likelihood that I would be able to disconnect it to use on the homemade hammock?
    Joe's rules of contentment: 1. Mind your own business, 2. Don't mind others' business, 3. Remember rules 1 and 2.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 96 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast