Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    ...a quick question about ring buckles in general...

Could I simply tie the stock HH suspension line to the buckles or is the thinner line required?
    Most tie the smaller spectra to the buckles but the thicker line that comes with an Expedition and others could work also. Are you still considering a JRB BMBH?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I think mine held tight because I don't use a ridge line for support and all my weight goes onto the rings. I could be wrong in this but I didn't have to adjust any of the straps all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Most tie the smaller spectra to the buckles but the thicker line that comes with an Expedition and others could work also. Are you still considering a JRB BMBH?

yup...

In the mean time I'm trying to work out a quicker easier way to hang the HH. I'm leaning towards a bowline or double 8 in the stock HH mainline, then trimming the excess once I'm satisfied that things will work and I've gotten all of the kinks ironed out.

What's the average length for the 1" wrap straps??...12' or so? I forsee a fair amount of tying to 18-24" trees and would like the ability to wrap 2x as it would seem to decrease the amount of tension on a sewn loop...Am I thinking clearly on this or no??...more strap? less strap?...2x around not necesarry?...

For sure it's going to be easier to trim than add after I get some field time, but I'd rather not get too carried away either.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    yup...

In the mean time I'm trying to work out a quicker easier way to hang the HH. I'm leaning towards a bowline or double 8 in the stock HH mainline, then trimming the excess once I'm satisfied that things will work and I've gotten all of the kinks ironed out.

What's the average length for the 1" wrap straps??...12' or so? I forsee a fair amount of tying to 18-24" trees and would like the ability to wrap 2x as it would seem to decrease the amount of tension on a sewn loop...Am I thinking clearly on this or no??...more strap? less strap?...2x around not necesarry?...

For sure it's going to be easier to trim than add after I get some field time, but I'd rather not get too carried away either.
    The circumference is about 3 1/2 times (for purists, it's 3.414) the diameter of the tree. So for a 2' tree to go around twice would need about 7.5' of strap. I made my straps at 15' because I've had to accomodate a few of the larger trees. I think most people have started about 12.
    Peace,
    Joe

ok, so after my first hang attempt i'm sold on an option other than the hh 'lashknot' thing. i searched local outfitters today for descenders with no luck on finding 2 matching pair... so online i go.

smc descenders are on the way.
    now to find some webbing. anyone try some from auto / truck tie downs? i have plenty from my days as a contractor... wonder what they are made out of...

now - i don't want to cut my stock suspension line just yet. how can i tie off the HH line on an exped a-sym to the rings?
    can i still use the fly and snakeskins?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    now - i don't want to cut my stock suspension line just yet. how can i tie off the HH line on an exped a-sym to the rings?
    can i still use the fly and snakeskins?
    First thread the snakeskin onto the rope and push all the way to the hammock. Then tie the HH line to the rings using a round turn with two half hitches a couple of feet out from the wrapping. Coil up the excess to tidy things up.

Not sure if you can still use the HH hooks on the suspension line for the fly, but you don't want to use those anyway. Tie the fly separately to the tree, it stays taut when you get into the hammock that way.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    You should seriously consider upgrading to a bigger tarp. The small stock tarp leaves little room for error in bad weather. Also you will have more room for dressing, cooking, etc. The stock tarp looks like "hammock floss" compared to bigger tarps. Plenty of options. One is the SG 9x9 tarp. Low cost and good coverage.www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247
    The MacCat deluxe is popular around here.http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
    I reserved a new JRB 11'x10' cat tarp. Great weather protection tarp.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...010%20Tarp.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

First stab at descender rings was over the weekend. I used some Lowes steel rings and a tie down strap from the backseat of the pick-up...without throwing a hitch the rings would slip everytime I got in...is this normal?

The real deal SM descenders made there appearence yesterday...hopefully the 1" camo webbing from OWF get's here today...I'm getting some loops sewn on and plan to skip the biners for the time bieng.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    ALWAYS use a backup knot with the rings. Yes, they can slip. If things are lined up nice and straight they tend to slip less. Use a slip knot. I use a couple of loops pulled through, then tighten the second loop around the coiled up extra webbing to keep things neat.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

...sounds like a plan...I was just curiuos if other ring users had some slippage or was is just one of those things that typically happen to me and not others...lol...

I'm going to start w/ some pretty long straps, so I should be able to tie off the loose end back at the tree, making it easier to get the hitch out.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ken999; 10-17-2007 at 10:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 70 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast