Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

My rings are too big? or are they?

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    is this what you are talking aboutneo

http://www.slingrings.com/sunshop/in...=category&id=4
    Wow, I bought the "small" ones and they are huge! (2 inch diameter) I love that I could get them in purple, but do I really need them that big?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No, but they will work just fine. These are the old standbys and they are a 1.5" ID, so you aren't that much bigger than everybody else.

Sheessh, it's always about size.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No, but they will work just fine. [URL="http://www.rei.com/product/471123"]

Sheessh, it's always about size.
    LOL Cannibal! Well, I'll look so cool with my red strapworks straps and purple rings, keeping my Red Hat theme going for my hammock (which is brown...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, I just sent the link to my girl. She's crazy about purple too!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep, I just sent the link to my girl. She's crazy about purple too!
    completely offtopic :

Don't you hate it when words trigger the memory of a song? Now I'm going to be hearing Gogol Bordello's Start Wearing Purple in my head for the rest of the day.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I don't know that song... is it about Red Hat Ladies? lol... (for those who don't know the Red Hat Society is a group of ladies over 50 who wear red hats and purple attire)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    completely offtopic :

Don't you hate it when words trigger the memory of a song? Now I'm going to be hearing Gogol Bordello's Start Wearing Purple in my head for the rest of the day.
    I think I might have to hurt you angrysparrow! That was horrible and now it won't go away!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Way back on page 53, 11 July 2007, Hooch said...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Can one of the moderators rename this The Thread That Won't Die?
    Ha! And I just read the whole thing again tonight! Well, I skimmed a lot of it but I did click on every page.

FWIW, here's a summary of what I think of the ring buckles right now (always subject to change...haha )

I still like the ring buckles better than cinch buckles, but that's personal preference. I don't use a slipknot safety and I've still only ever had one problem with slippage and that was b/c I didn't have the webbing lined up. But in the end, if you're using webbing I think the ring buckles and cinch buckles are basically just as good as the other. I think I'm going to put cinch buckles on my kids hammocks so they can set it up themselves and I don't have to worry about them aligning it correctly. They can lug the extra weight!

BUT...and this is a big deal for my hiking style...with the rings I can use spectra/garda instead of webbing. This saves even more weight and bulk over the cinch buckles and suits my style better.

Re: the biner, I think it's already been answered but I'll say it here why I use them. The main reason is the convenience. Clipping the biner over the line is much easier and faster than threading it thru the loop, and with the biner the entire setup stays in one piece. No need to worry about forgetting tree huggers when I break camp or anything. Another reason is that synthetic on synthetic friction is bad news. I don't think the damage would occur when I pull the webbing thru, but at the loop when the hammock is weighted. The force and friction can cause the webbing to fail...I've actually cut a piece of synthetic cord with another piece of rope in about 15 seconds before. That's why climbers don't do it, and the biner avoids any possibility of that. I doubt any damage would happen quickly enough in this application to be a danger, though...I'd probably notice it coming and change out the webbing before I was dropped. So like I said, the main reason is just the convenience of setup and teardown.

I'm really interested in seeing warbonnet's triangle buckles as well...it sounds like they'll work even better than rings for webbings. Has anyone tested them with a Garda Hitch yet?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks for the summation Jeff, I'm still using Tee Dee's carabiner hitch system with everything else stock on my Hennessy (rope,treehuggers). You wrote early in the thread that the rings let you done slowly one time, others have been summarily dropped IIRC. Cinch buckles have occasionally locked up on folks, I'm not sure they'd work for me 'cause I like my hammock hung tight. I may yet change to webbing of some sort, we'll see.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've figured out the buckles locking up thing, and someone has already mentioned it in this thread. Just don't pull it so tight. I used to tighten my ridgeline hammocks down as much as I could...until I realized that there's absolutely no advantage to it in most cases. Leave an extra inch or so on each side and both kinds of buckles will be easy to undo. If this means your hammock hangs too low, slide the tree huggers up some. The only time I'd tighten them up that tight these days is when I need to raise the hammock and can't slide the huggers up for some reason.

So as long as my ridgeline isn't sagging when I set up or when I'm in the hammock, it's tight enough for me. Youngblood has a diagram for all the math-inclined folks here that shows the angles involved...once the support angle matches the hammock angle the ridgeline doesn't change how the hammock body lays.

Other benefits of not hanging so tight are that you put less stress on the trees (especially important if you're using small trees) and your spectra or webbing will stretch less. It takes less energy to set up, it's easier to adjust and undo, and it's easier to lift the support up so you don't have to bend down so far when you walk under it.

I guess in theory you'd swing more with slightly looser supports but I haven't noticed the difference. I like to swing a bit as I fall asleep, though...that's why I don't use side tie-outs most of the time.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast