Page 42 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Anyone have an opinion as to whether this will support a close to 250lb guy and his hammock? I'm going to double it over to get attached to my ENO the way I want. Any of the engineering/mathematics/physics types want to chime in on this? BB, HE, lvleph? Bueller? Bueller?
    It held me up; I weigh 270 lbs. The only set back? If you're using a lark's head, once the knot tightens up it'll be hard to get loose. That why I use 3.8mm instead.

The real question is will it hold up over time? For instance, I was using 1.5 inch polypro webbing rated to 800 lbs. Yes, it held me up, but over the course of a year, I noticed a tear right where the webbing locks into the dual rings. And the webbing stretched beyond reason.

So I upgraded to 1.5 inch polyester webbing rated to 3500 lbs. No stretch: at lets not enough to keep adjusting every 30 minutes. It added 3 ounces to my set up, but it's worth it. I like hanging off cliffs and stuff. An extra 3 ounces ain't nothing if it's gonna save your life.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    You pull the support straps pretty tight with a structural ridgeline. The CC Buckles are difficult to impossible to loosen when pulled tight. Someone here even had to cut a strap because they couldn't get it loose (of course you would only need to cut one side, then the other side is loose). However, if your straps stretch some after laying in your hammock for a while, it may loosen it up enough to release the buckles.
    In a hammock without a structural ridgeline either Rings or CC Buckles work equally well.
    I think they work equally well regardless...never had the CC buckles lock up on me. But I think I'm in the minority on that one.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think they work equally well regardless...never had the CC buckles lock up on me. But I think I'm in the minority on that one.
    I remembered you saying that and almost mentioned it. But, hey, I had to chime back in here just to celebrate my 300th post.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I remembered you saying that and almost mentioned it. But, hey, I had to chime back in here just to celebrate my 300th post.
    Woohoo! I slacked off for a while...I think I've still got a decent chance of catching Jeff, but Tim might be a bit out of my reach now
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Woohoo! I slacked off for a while...I think I've still got a decent chance of catching Jeff, but Tim might be a bit out of my reach now
    sorry... guess i've been drinking to much sweet tea but you can do it.
    BTW... the ring buckles are the best adjustment system for me. i like my rings. thanks bear.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    In connecting the rings to the hammock - I suggest the following:

wrap the cord from the hammock around the rings at least twice, preferably 3 times then tie a bowline with a single or double overhand safety knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

The larks head works okay for very flexible cord such as the BPL aircore, but with stiff cord such as the HH cord, the larks head tends to separate the rings which often leads to the webbing slipping - at least for me it does. I have used the wrapping and bowline now on very stiff cord up to 1/4" diameter with no slipping whatsoever. Wrapping the cord around the rings keeps the rings held firmly together.
    I think I have found my problem! Of course, Im sitting here on the computer and cant get to my hammock to test it, but I will this evening!

I think your are correct in that the larks head off sets the rings. I have tried twice to hang with them and the webbing has slipped both times. I even tried to tie up the loose end of the webbing, and that slipped too!

Thanks for the information and I especially love the link for the "how to tie the knot" !!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    I think I have found my problem! Of course, Im sitting here on the computer and cant get to my hammock to test it, but I will this evening!

I think your are correct in that the larks head off sets the rings. I have tried twice to hang with them and the webbing has slipped both times. I even tried to tie up the loose end of the webbing, and that slipped too!

Thanks for the information and I especially love the link for the "how to tie the knot" !!!
    Make sure the webbing is lined up where it goes through the ring. I have found that even a slight misalignment will cause slippage.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post

Mine is set-up like like that as TeeDee sugeested in that post. Works great for me. No slippage. I remember reading that he now recommends another knot for the rings. Cant remember what.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Here's another person that went to the ring buckles. Using 12' polyseter webbing rated at 3500 lbs. from strapworks (black, purple isn't my thing), the aluminum descending rings, and the 1400 lbs. test line from BPL. For my line attached to the rings I tied a variation between the albright knot and the blood knot. That gave me a 5" loop. Then I just used a larkshead to attach it to the rings, then a larkshead to attach it to the open end of the rope on the ENO. That way I have two pieces of line holding me up instead of one.

Hey all,

Another positive review for the straps and rings and 'biners. I got the Harbor Freight straps mentioned by Slowhike and TeeDee, and found two things about them possibly of interest.

First is that the hooks they come with aren't welded but just bent to shape, meaning that a vise and some outsized ViseGrips will bend them apart so you can use the existing sewn loop on the end. That stitching on the loop looks kind of light, but it's sewn for the same 500 pound working load as the rest of the straps.

Second is about the webbing on the short end, with the ratchet. I did have to hacksaw the pin on the ratchet, but that got me a strap a bit over a foot long with a sewn loop at each end. I was trying this on my Hennessy and didn't want to cut the ropes yet, so I was planning to use an anchor hitch to hold the rings on that rope as Miu showed in post #341. But with the short strap I could just loop it around the rings then slip a loop over the rope and cinch it behind Hennessy's knot, as you might do behind the whipping on a homebuilt. Worked just fine. Like they were made for the job.

One of the trees I was hooked up to this weekend had a nest of big black ants in it. Very curious about their new neighbor. I had thought I was done with ants when I started hanging, but I know I was sure glad to have a bug net with nearly no holes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 42 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast