Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    The first post and thorough description of the double-ring system that I saw was from dchinell. Thanks, Bear, for providing this background. After switching to a mod of his system, my setup got so easy that I never switched back to the Hennessey knot. As mentioned earlier (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammoc.../message/14659 and related photos http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ham...os/browse/610d), both the webbing and rings were from REI. I had a long chat with one of the REI staff in the climbing department before choosing--I felt that if climbers were using these items, on which their lives depend, the strength of materials would be more than enough for hammock use.

Scott

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    bear... long time no see (or no hear).
    yep, you're the one that i 1st got the idea from on the hammockcamping yahoo group.
    i had problems w/ slippage the 1st time i tried the ring buckles & never did figure out what i needed to do different, so i gave up on the idea.
    but i'm glad it was brought back to our attention.
    it's the best adjustment system i've used yet.
    and i like the tree girdle thing you described. clipping it into a biner each time back around would keep it pretty quick.
    i can see a couple reasons that someone might want to do that.
    1)to be easy on a soft bark tree.
    2) to keep the extra webbing neat & off the ground.
    good to hear from you bear. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

funbun: Sorry -- the photo album is titled "Bear's Pix."

farpost and slowhike: Many thanks for the accreditation. It's quite a rush to have posted something ages and ages ago, then come back to find it's been of interest and use to others.

Bear

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dchinell View Post
    funbun: Sorry -- the photo album is titled "Bear's Pix."

farpost and slowhike: Many thanks for the accreditation. It's quite a rush to have posted something ages and ages ago, then come back to find it's been of interest and use to others.

Bear
    for those that aren't familiar w/ the hammockcamping yahoo group, bear was a regular & respected contributor on that group.
    i started taking part there in early 05 & learned a ton there.
    hopefully ed will get a chance to jump in here on hammockforums when he gets a chance.
    he told me he would really like to but he has been covered up w/ work (both with speer hammocks & the geological consulting work he does) so he hardly has time to even post on the yahoo group.
    ed said this past year was a good year for speer hammocks & hopefully some day, he'll actually turn a respectable profit from it
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - I remember your posts and pics from a long time ago. I'll add that link to my website in addition to TeeDee's hikinghq link that motivated me to finally make it.

Glad you could join us! Pull up some ripstop and hang around a while...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking

Well, well, well, it seems, like minds come up with the same idea.

I had been using double ring buckles on my compression straps for stuff sacks in my pack for a few months (replaced all of the plastic ladder lock side release buckles). For the stuff sacks I used split key rings and 3/4" nylon webbing. I've since replaced the key rings with stainless steel rings.

I suddenly thought why not use a double ring buckle on the hammock suspension. I had been using cam lock buckles on tie down straps from Harbor Freight. I hadn't been having any problems with those, but couldn't find the exact breaking strength for them which had started bothering me. Also, I started worrying about the abrasion from the teeth on the cam lock buckles.

I started searching the web for rings. At first I only searched for stainless steel rings and could only find jewelry stainless steel rings. I wanted load rated rings and didn't want to pay the premium for what someone considered jewelry. After a few days, maybe a week, I stumbled on the descending rings by SMC. Load rated and the rating was more than what I wanted for the hammock suspension and the ID was on the right order for the 1" polyester strap webbing. Searched and found the lowest price, $2.40/each, ordered 4, cut the cam lock buckles off the Harbor Freight straps, installed the rings and haven't used anything else since. After about a month, I think, I reported on Sgt Rocks web site.

Wait a few years and I'm sure that somebody else will again independently rediscover this system just like I did and start a new thread about this great hammock suspension system they have just discovered.

Good ideas just keep coming back - like the Energizer Bunny.

Been looking for local supplies of rings. I found some at home depot rated to 'safe working load' of 200lbs. Think these are too low for 300lb me? It'd seem you might be able to get away with lower than your weight because of the extra margin of safety they rate stuff at, and since you're doubling up the rings on one side, and on the other side it doesn't seem like they have much room to bend. Same with Carabiners, the ones at home depot (huge!) are rated to 320lbs, and they also have 200lbs and 70lb 'safe working load'. They're tempting, since I don't have to pay for shipping, and they're cheap (2$ for 2 rings and 3$ for 1 biner). Thoughts?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Looks like this is the most popular thread yet. For a good reason IMO.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    If your using the Caribiner/Buckles system with a Hennessy and Snakeskins, get you a red Sharpie pen and mark a little spot on your caribiner that will be the head end. Red=Head
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    Been looking for local supplies of rings. I found some at home depot rated to 'safe working load' of 200lbs. Think these are too low for 300lb me? It'd seem you might be able to get away with lower than your weight because of the extra margin of safety they rate stuff at, and since you're doubling up the rings on one side, and on the other side it doesn't seem like they have much room to bend. Same with Carabiners, the ones at home depot (huge!) are rated to 320lbs, and they also have 200lbs and 70lb 'safe working load'. They're tempting, since I don't have to pay for shipping, and they're cheap (2$ for 2 rings and 3$ for 1 biner). Thoughts?
    I would not use those. I weigh 220+ and have snaped 500 paracord very easily. I usually design a working load of 1000 lbs into my system. I think most people use 700. You put very close to that on them depending on the angle. The closer to 90 degrees you are from the tree the greater the force. Many times you total body wieght. Trust me on this one. I found it out the hard way.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast