Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    I just thought of another way doing this. using webbing instead of rope and putting the two descending rings on one and a biner on the other. Does anyone think this would work?
    Not too sure what you mean. Could you expand on your description?

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    my hammock has a hook on the end. So I was thinking of making one that kindof looks like those cheap keychains with biners on one end and a keyring on the other

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Interesting, very interesting.

Why does does 10 minutes of hanging make a difference? And if you are using at least 30 minutes from hang start to take down finish, then you must have factored in, what, 20 minutes of hanging for things to loosen up.

Why would the hang time be a factor, unless the suspension, or ridgeline is stretching and thus loosening the buckle enough to make it easier.
    I can't answer that for sure. I can't really imagine a way to find out for sure without some pretty serious testing equipment, either. Not something I want to get into.

If you'll permit me some latitude, I'll hazard a guess though. Just because the load-bearing portions of my setup don't stretch appreciably doesn't mean they don't stretch at ALL. I'm thinking that the little bit of stretch that IS present, combined with the moving around that always accompanies occupation (over a short time) is enough to loosen the buckles. But like I said, just a guess.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    my hammock has a hook on the end. So I was thinking of making one that kindof looks like those cheap keychains with biners on one end and a keyring on the other
    Still don't understand. Could you try again - I'm just dense today I guess , but then a lot people say that today is no different than most days.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    you know the cheap keyrings you can buy at wally world with keyring on one end and a biner on the other with a cheap piece of webbing in the middle. I believe my hammock is a treklight and it has a rope with a hook on the ends and I was think of taking pieces of a tie down strap making a loop for the descending rings(sewing it together) then on the other end sewing a loop for the biner.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    you know the cheap keyrings you can buy at wally world with keyring on one end and a biner on the other with a cheap piece of webbing in the middle. I believe my hammock is a treklight and it has a rope with a hook on the ends and I was think of taking pieces of a tie down strap making a loop for the descending rings(sewing it together) then on the other end sewing a loop for the biner.
    I must be dense too... How is that different than this?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I guess its not different. I was mainly just wondering if anyone thought it would work. I guess I'm dense today, but I've got my two daighters and my niece and they're driving me batty and I'm not thinking to well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    this ring buckle has the two descending ring tied together with rope, instead of using rope from rings to hammock, I was going to use the recyled webbing instead. and still use full length tie down straps from rings to tree.
    Last edited by rigidpsycho; 05-17-2007 at 17:49.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    this ring buckle has the two descending ring tied together with rope, instead of using rope from rings to hammock, I was going to use the recyled webbing instead. and still use full length tie down straps from rings to tree.
    yeah, i did that. but if you tie knots in the webbing it will weaken the webbing.
    sewing loops (one around the rings & one to form a larks head) would be stronger.
    problem is that i'm thinking the rings need to be held tightly together to work.
    maybe go around the rings twice before sewing the webbing together.
    but even that will cause serious bunching in the webbing. i believe that weakens it too.
    IMO, you might be better off to just buy some rope. the webbing could be made to work temporarily though. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ahhh, now I think think I understand what you are suggesting. Yes you could use webbing from the hammock to the rings and then webbing around the tree and to the rings. That would work. I experimented with webbing in place of rope to hold the rings - sew a loop in the webbing end with the rings inside the loop when you sew it. I found that it works as well as rope. In the few experiments I did, I tried to sew the loop as close to the rings as possible using a zipper foot. Don't really know if that was essential, but I thought it would be better when I did it. I was using a short piece of webbing folded in half with the ends meeting in the middle and sewn down and then bar tacked in a few places. That gave me about 6" of webbing, sewn in the middle with loops on both ends and the rings sewn in the loop on one end. It was like the Quick Draws the climbers use:

http://www.omegapac.com/op_products_...ickdraws2.html

only with the rings on one end and a plain loop on the other end.

I tied a carabiner to the suspension rope, clicked the free webbing loop into the carabiner and then used as usual. It worked and worked as well as rope. After some use I decided it was easier for me to use rope since I could tie and untie that without needing to sew anything.

So if you use webbing instead of rope to suspend the hammock you could use the ring buckle then also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast