Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie

Question GI military pad

I Know it's been asked about, But I'm very new to Ham mocking . Is there any thing I should do to the pad? (Cut,add) Thanks for Your in put.

Many will say you should get rid of it.

But if it's what you've got to work with, then make it work.
    Best way to figure out what works for you it trial/error.

Seeing as how you said 'cut' I'm assuming you have a closed cell foamy (ccf)?
    most will offer that you should 'add' a SPE-supplemental pad extender - basically Red Bull for your pad "gives you wings..."
    If on the other hand you have the milspec ThermaRest there's only so much you can safely do to that, but it all comes back to the SPE.
    How do you tell it works? simple, you're not cold, and you're not wet (sweat). Personally I also have to consider if I will wake with pinched nerves with/without a mat of some sort - I can't do a naked hammock, I'll wake every morning unable to feel my feet even after several hours of hiking
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie
    WetRivrRat What is a good Mat then? Pocket is tight But Like to find something Nice? any idea's ?? Thanks For You Time to help Mines alot!

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL Tarp
    Suspension
    Factory.

Neo-Air

I like the neo air. I am a big guy 275 and I can sleep without a pad but once I used the neo air it was a done deal. It's about $120.00 the light version but I just saved twenty bucks a week in an envelope until I hit $140.00.

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie
    Thanks Tilly85 I'll take a look.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mainewoods View Post
    WetRivrRat What is a good Mat then? Pocket is tight But Like to find something Nice? any idea's ?? Thanks For You Time to help Mines alot!
    I would recommend the Ozark Trails foam pad from Wal-Mart. The one with one side that looks like an egg carton. It doesn't slide around in the hammock and will keep you warm down to at least 40*. The cost is under $20.

I bobbed the corners of mine, but you'll see what works best for you after you give it a try.

Ellis

It all really depends on what you want to get. Experience has taught me that while I may want something new NOW(!!!), that with patience I will find something better soon.

My first recommendations would be to look at places like Wally-world or REI (if they are nearby) because they have phenomenal return policies - go spend some money there - spend more than what you might feel comfortable spending, but try something low-end, and high-end. Get a feel for what works for you. Then return it. Read reviews about what you liked, see what others think. Watch the "For-Sale" thread here, heck post a WTB (want to buy) thread. keep doing what you're doing here -asking questions, learning from others mistakes (its alot cheaper that way).
    other place worth looking, gander mountain (mine always has stuff on crazy sales, neo air for $87 for example), REI Outlet, bass pro, friends... (duh, should've been the first one on the list), Army Surplus, etc.

another avenue would be to consider building something of your own - an SPE is a good example and a good starting place - generally if you're willing to put in the time, you spend less money. You can find ccf pretty cheap online from DIY sellers, sometime it just takes a little creativity, ingenuity and elbow grease to get what you want.

Another option would be to pay attn to folks on HF from your area, see what they use,and what they don't - try to understand why they do what they do - chances are good its because regionally its what works best - that's probably the most true when dealing with insulation and comfort.
    I live in FL, what good would it do mean to 'learn' about insulation from someone who lives in Alaska? That is unless I was planning a trip to somewhere that was predominantly cold.
    Its a freakish thing for it to get below freezing here, and when it does, nobody goes outside, heck the cities shutdown when it snows down here - but likewise, someone in a cooler environment may not find any value in a double layered hammock for bug protection.

me personally, I use two different pads depending on how warm it is, my 'summer' pad is a ThermaRest ProLite XS, super small, just big enough to cover my shoulders to my bum. Keeps my back from getting pissed. my 'winter' pad is a ThermaRest Classic, MilSpec. Its warm, and ridged enough that it doesn't move unless I get extra fidgety in my sleep

cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Check out the pad subforum at
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=10
    for lots of ideas

Here's a classic conversion of military ccf pads
    http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Pads in a hammock are insulation as opposed to padding. The two things you need to worry about are coverage and tear strength. Most pads are too narrow to wrap around your shoulders so you end up with cold single layer nylon freezing shoulder, back or elbow depending on position. The easy answer is to use a second pad cut short and crossed with the top edge about shoulder height. That gives a double layer under your torso and single at higher up. If you have high tear strength that is your basic setup as in one can get by with that.

If you have a low tear strength or want a more elegant setup sew up an SPE. Basically a double layer of nylon sewn into pockets for the main pad and two wings.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Even without a SPE I'd chop down that pad. I've got mine cut down to around thigh to shoulder length. A full length foam pad tends to bunch up and buckle in the middle. The shorter pad is lighter and you can normally put something else under your legs for insulation if needed (extra clothes, pack, etc).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast