Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HudsonRiver/SB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Maybe a dumb question but........

I was wondering why quilt manufacturers offer a 50 degree top quilt and not 50 degree under quilt? I understand at that temp most will use a poncho or something similar to act as a wind block, but I would really like to have a tq and uq for summer hikes. The second question was if any of the manufacturers would add loops to the four corners of a 50 degree tq so I could use it as a uq? Thanks in advance, and please refrain from slamming me for the silly question lol!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You can get a 50 degree Jarbridge from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment..its a great quilt,,I have one. I also have a 40 degree down full size UQ and a 20 with overstuffing also from Underground Quilts as well as there are lots of makers that make the 40 and below UQ's, All you have to do is vent them..some of the hangers here,,just only buy a 20 degree UQ if they are a 3 season hanger. They vent them to make them work and let them hang loose without the ends pulled tight..it works great to vent and if it does get cool at nite,,just pull the chords tighter and your good to go. Its all a matter of how many UQ's do you want to own or buy. You can probably get any of the cottage makers to make you a 50 degree down quilt if you want..all you have to do is communicate with them. Also I might mention,,the 50 and 40 degree quilts don't weigh as much so in the summer,,we all like to pack lighter.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HudsonRiver/SB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yeah I get that I can vent my quilt ! But none of the manufacturers list a 50 degree uq as a option. I tried to use my 20 jacks r better Hudson river recently on a trip to Arkansas and I about DIED!!! I am a hot sleeper so when it's in the 60's having a minimalist tq/uq, would be great! Also I really prefer down so I'm not looking to go with synthetic.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocksonlyplease View Post
    But none of the manufacturers list a 50 degree uq as a option.
    I don't think there would be that many takers, honestly. Still, the Jacks offer the Shenandoah Quilt that is rated to 40°-45°. I have one and find it a nice quilt for the in-between temps. But, 40°? If I knew it was going to be that cool, I would grab a 3-season setup instead. It is a summer quilt. I've used it a couple of times as a 3-season booster when camping in early/late winter and my winter quilts were loaned out, but on its own it is strictly for warmer trips.

Sewn-Through construction, packs up tiny, and keeps the chill off on the coolish nights. Also sub $200, which is always nice when purchasing a down quilt.

Edit: The Shenandoah does have loops at the corners. I use it on my home hammock frequently during the winter months, just to keep the chill off. Works perfectly well as an underquilt.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I have a Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge River summer quilt. The regular Jarbridge River quilt is made of 6.0 oz Climashield and is rated to 30°. My summer version is made with 3.0 oz Climashield (mine weights 13.4 oz, if you backpack or care about weight). I am comfortable to about 40° with this lightweight quilt. These quilts are more like 7/8 length than the standard 3/4 of other short quilts. I may be mistaken, but I believe Paul has made some summer Jarbridge River quilts with 2.5 oz climashield, which would be comfortable to roughly 50°.

As for why so few are made to 50°? A 40° quilt can easily be vented a little or a lot up to 70°, when a quilt is no longer needed. A full sized down quilt 20° quilt (which I also have) can be vented to 45° or or 50°, but beyond that it does get quite warm, as you have found out. Since I now have an overlap from say 40° to 50°, I just look at the lows. If all nights will be below 50°, I take my down quilt. If all temps are above 40°, I can take my lighter synthetic.

When comparing to top quilts, I think there are as few top quilts rated to only 50° as there are underquilts. I recall reading that Adam at Hammock Gear made his first one as a custom order, and he has since added it to his offered selection. My guess is that Adam sells about as many 50° top quilts as Paul at Arrowhead makes 50° under quilts (a number which is likely less than other products); but that is just a guess. The cottage industries will make what someone is willing to pay for, but won't likely carry in stock what doesn't sell.

YMMV.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Doesn't TeWa make a sewn through summer UQ ?? (Sorry I cannot access his site from work to link it)
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

• + New Posts