Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whoopie Hooks or Cinch+Strap Suspension

I have used tree straps but not whoopies...

The whoopies look *very* complicated to my freshly-hung eyes.

What is the difference? Which do you think is better?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    neither of them are "better" than the other. they will both suspend your hammock off the ground for your laying pleasure. it comes down to which do you prefer. so....you have to try them both out to decide. which part of the whoopie system looks "very" complicated to you? perhaps if you describe your difficulties in detail we can answer you better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    neither of them are "better" than the other. they will both suspend your hammock off the ground for your laying pleasure. it comes down to which do you prefer. so....you have to try them both out to decide. which part of the whoopie system looks "very" complicated to you? perhaps if you describe your difficulties in detail we can answer you better.

Well...

I found Shug's channel

aaaaand I watched Shug's Whoopie "Slings for Suspension" video

and it is much less complicated than I thought. I think the cord/rope/whatever it's called was intimidating.

But surely there is some sort of pro-con to what type of suspension you use? Or, does it really not matter? I'm sure there are a blue million ways to use the whoopie system to hang a hammock, but I'm worried that my current hanging spot might not have enough room, vs the straps that I used earlier, which can go all the way to the "tree" if need be.

If nothing else, my adjustable whoopie ridgeline fears and accompanying post that would surely have come soon have both been taken care of.

Now I just have to watch all the Shug videos before making another question post

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I started with whoopies marlin spiked to tree straps but eventually changed to 12' tree straps with a B.I.A.S. strap anchor for ease of use on my part. They're both great systems.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's one of those personal decisions. I've been trying to talk myself into whoopies for years due to less weight and bulk, but can't do it. If you can adjust a backpack strap, you can do the strap/buckle suspension. There's a little more to the whoopies given the tree huggers (are they big enough for your tree?) and how you attach everything (larks head, dutch clip, toggle, dutch hook on the other end?). Milking the bury. Selecting different tree hugger lengths. Bring an extension just in case? I've hung on trees ~3' WIDE and used up about all of my strap.

Lots of options, but in the end I just wanted the fool proof 1-piece setup of the straps/buckles (everything stays together attached in one sack (biners, straps, buckles, hammock). There's no real options or anything to mess with...just throw it around the tree and adjust like you would a backpack hipbelt to tighten or loosen. 3oz penalty for the convenience...but that's two full Snickerz bars!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It's one of those personal decisions. I've been trying to talk myself into whoopies for years due to less weight and bulk, but can't do it. If you can adjust a backpack strap, you can do the strap/buckle suspension. There's a little more to the whoopies given the tree huggers (are they big enough for your tree?) and how you attach everything (larks head, dutch clip, toggle, dutch hook on the other end?). Milking the bury. Selecting different tree hugger lengths. Bring an extension just in case? I've hung on trees ~3' WIDE and used up about all of my strap.

Lots of options, but in the end I just wanted the fool proof 1-piece setup of the straps/buckles (everything stays together attached in one sack (biners, straps, buckles, hammock). There's no real options or anything to mess with...just throw it around the tree and adjust like you would a backpack hipbelt to tighten or loosen.
    I couldn't have said it better. Tried the whoopies and it simply had too many parts to keep up with and I found the adjustments to have to much fiddle factor. My straps stay attached to my hammock and it's a lot easier for me to adjust. Throw the strap around the tree, adjust the buckle and your done.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Whoopies are lighter than a cinch buckle / webbing suspension, but they need more space. However, if you are using Dutch Spiders with your whoopies, and have a dog bone or continuous loop, you can get around that problem in tight situations.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I started with Whoopie Slings when also new to hammocking and hanging tarps, this while being brand new to hiking and setting off for weeks from Springer. It was a lot.

I recommend lightweight straps and buckles for starting out. I especially like these: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...es-suspension/

Just this past year Dutch came out with a mixed fiber strap that's really handy and lightweight.
    http://dutchwaregear.com/dyneema-pol...ee-straps.html

Dutchs' Beetle hardwear, used similarly to buckles, shows great promise of ease of use and they're lightweight.

The new strap and hardware from Dutch just might be the perfect solution to easy lightweight hanging.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There's a lot of learning curve to finding the perfect hang and it varies by person. I recommend keeping it simple and just using straps and buckles for anyone new to it. It's once less thing to worry about for now. Once you have it down you may wish to change later when you are more comfortable. The primary reason for using something else is weight reduction IMHO. I started with a relatively heavy hammock and straps that weighed over 3 lbs altogether and I am now down to a 14 oz Dutch half-wit with 2.5 oz Kevlar straps & titanium toggles.- over a 2lb reduction. Now, if you don't plan on dong a lot of long distance hiking that kind of weight reduction may or may not be important to you. Good luck with whatever you go with!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Whoopie Hooks or Cinch+Strap Suspension

And then you'll get to where you skip whoopies and straps/buckles all together. All I need now are kevlar straps and continuous loops. Viva la becket hitch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast