Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

What is an Amsteel Blue 12-inch Dogbone?

I was looking on the JacksRBetter website and saw mention of these thingies I've never heard of:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/uncatego...mid-year-2012/

"As a side note, JRB converted from use of the continuous loop to the use of a “12 inch Dog Bone” of Amsteel Blue which has locked brommel loops in each end. The Dog Bones serve the same purpose and work better with the Dutch Whoopie Hooks for those seeking the lightest of the light suspension approaches."

Does anyone have a picture, or better yet, a pictoral? Sounds like it's pretty easy to make. I'm envisioning they're made with a length of Amsteel about 24 inches, maybe two inch loops at each end, five inch bury for each locked brummel.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-25-2012 at 23:52.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    i think that is it just a length of amsteel with locked brummel eye splices on both ends. The over all finished length is 12".

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Isn't it also called a chainlink? I carry a couple of DIY ones and they've saved my bacon.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    ok question here, i just made my first whoopie sling...taking only about two days..lol but dont you feed one end thru the line and bring the other end thru that one in order to create a locked brummel. then bury the tail? andhow does that work once you have a completed end??? just trying to figure it out like the continous loop is that a locked brummel with two buried ends?????????
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    ok question here, i just made my first whoopie sling...taking only about two days..lol but dont you feed one end thru the line and bring the other end thru that one in order to create a locked brummel. then bury the tail? andhow does that work once you have a completed end??? just trying to figure it out like the continous loop is that a locked brummel with two buried ends?????????
    Opie has a YouTube vid on how to do a locked brummel when the other end is not available. I would assume that's what was done here.

The Jacks say they work better with Dutch Whoopie Hooks - I don't see how one spliced piece of Amsteel would work better than the other. There's also an implication of weight savings, however miniscule, but by my rough calculations you would still be using about 24 inches of Amsteel to make that thing.

I don't know if this thing is also called a chainlink. However, I do know that a lot of folks call a continuous loop a chainlink.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-26-2012 at 09:39.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Isn't it also called a chainlink? I carry a couple of DIY ones and they've saved my bacon.
    No a Chain Link is a continuous loop that I designed with a specific splice that no one else uses. the Dog bone would be basically the same as out Suspension Extensions that I have been making for the past couple of years.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Jacks say they work better with Dutch Whoopie Hooks - I don't see how one spliced piece of Amsteel would work better than the other. There's also an implication of weight savings, however miniscule, but by my rough calculations you would still be using about 24 inches of Amsteel to make that thing.
    I just made a bunch of fixed loops for Tablecloth Hammocks out of 1/8" Amsteel, and it took about 40" to make a 12" loop. 12" down each side + 6" bury(x2) + 2"(x2) shrinkage.
    12+12+6+6+2+2=40"

For the same 1/8" amsteel, These look like 12" down + 6"(x2) bury + 2"(x2) shrinkage.
    12+6+6+2+2=28"

This saves about 12" of amsteel per loop. I just made 10 of them for various purposes. That would have saved me 10' of material. A very nice idea indeed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just made a dogbone one out of Amsteel 7/64" for the heck of it. It came out to 13" long, so my measurements were a bit off, but I was winging it. I made the locked brummel on one end, 6" bury, with two inches for the loop. That makes a 1 inch loop - kind of small but plenty to pull one end through the other in a larkshead, or to hook a Dutch whoopie hook on.

Then the real fun began. On the other end I used three inches for the fixed eye, 'cause two inches was kind of cutting it close. Attempting Opie's technique for making a locked brummel when only one end of the rope is available was challenging. Try it - I really struggled to understand the concept. I must have heard Opie say twenty times, "And there, you can see, you just created a fixed brummel with a locked eye using only one end of the rope."

And I'm saying, "No, I didn't, Opie - please stop saying that. I have no idea what you are talking about!"

I eventually got an ink pen, widened the holes so that I could pull the rope back through the little eyelets, and created a fixed brummel using only one end of the rope! That was kind of fun, and it only took me an hour!

The dogbone is another solution for what to run through the channels of my hammocks. A 12" continuous loop is just too long. Using Opie's continuous loop pictoral using 40" of Amsteel to end up with a 12" loop, there was too much excess coming out of my larkshead through the channel, thereby increasing the length of my hammock.

Eventually, I asked around and found that some folks use 27.5" length with five" buries to make a shorter continuous loop for the channels. Since the buries are in the larkshead essentially, this seems like an acceptable bury length.

If SteveS' calculations are correct (and applicable to 7/64"), this dogbone uses about the same starting length of Amsteel (28"). I'm going to try it both ways on my tablecloth hammocks, but I'm definitely in favor of using less Amsteel. That stuff is expensive!

Here's a pic of the finished dogbone.

Here's how it would look going through the channels, with Dutch whoopie hook (imagine it's spliced onto a Whoopie sling adjustable loop).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Actually, these dogbones are not shorter. If you run a 12" continuous loop through the hammock channel and larkshead it, the length of continuous loop extending from the hammock body is less than 6 inches ('cause you folded it in half to run it through the channel).

Using a dogbone, the length is closer to 10.5 inches (because it's not folded in half). So they might be lighter, but they're not shorter. Which means that it extends your hammock ridgeline, requiring more tarp coverage. I like my Dutch Whoopie hooks to connect to the continuous loop under the tarp; otherwise if the whoopie hook is not under the tarp, the whoopie hook is bypassed and water will drip down the Amsteel onto the hammock.

Oh well. I suppose you could fold the dogbone in half and run it through the channel, but you would have to hook two fixed loops to the whoopie hook.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    andhow does that work once you have a completed end???
    If I'm understanding correctly then...don't complete the end (backsplice) until you've finished the whoopie. That means you do the locked brummel, make the loop, etc. and then finish the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    No a Chain Link is a continuous loop that I designed with a specific splice that no one else uses. the Dog bone would be basically the same as out Suspension Extensions that I have been making for the past couple of years.
    My bad. I looked at your pics and see it's different than what I was thinking. Apologies for using your term in other discussions. I'll send you .02 in royalties.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast