Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like fun. I'll have to check the calendar. I was hanging at Florida Caverns State Park last weekend. Nice little (and uncrowded) springs there. Did a very quick trip to Blue Spring Rec Area. OMG I couldn't feel my legs it was so cold! If you want to cool off in Florida during the summer the springs are a sure way to do it!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpossum View Post
    Are canoes allowed instead of tubes & will the shuttle service work with those?
    Yes, and I think so. I would have to call the park and double-check, but it would make sense. The canoe put-in is just south of the tube put-in (if memory serves).

Note that you can not bring anything to drink on the river (they don't want it turning into Ginnie Springs, with the drunks leaving beer cans and such at the bottom of the river), so camel up first!

I'll give them a call and find out tomorrow or Saturday about the shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Haven't readjusted from those summers in Maine, FLRider. Will be hanging in Fort Valley,Va anyway that weekend and will have to be inside even there. Went tubing on the Rainbow River last Monday and as long as we were in the water it was bearable. Ya'll have fun.
    Sorry to hear that, olddog. Looking forward to seeing you come the Fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    I'll mark it on my calendar. Would be interested in Friday to Monday. Don't get off till 9pm on Friday and it would take about 1 1/2hrs to get there so maybe Saturday would be better. Will have to wait and see about work as it gets closer.

I've definitely seen people canoe and kayak down the river but I don't think there is shuttle service. You drive your vehicle in the north entrance which is across the street from the campground. Drop off your gear and then drive your vehicle to the south entrance and park it. You then take a van back to the north entrance then go down the river which ends up at the south entrance.
    Thanks for the update, Giggity! I look forward to seeing you there. The campground locks its gate at about 10 or 11 PM, if memory serves (I recall the attendant saying something about that, but my memory is a little foggy since I had no intention of being out of the campground that late).\

That's an accurate description of the shuttle service. I don't know, personally, if it's available for canoes or 'yaks, but I'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Don't forget to drink plenty of water this time!
    I'm glad your site selection is improving, being next to water.
    I'll join you when the temps drop another 40 degrees!
    Heh. Yeah, that whole hydration thing is definitely looming large in my mind! At least this time I don't have to worry about excess silt in the water! Look forward to seeing you in the Fall!

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    This would have cured my itch for getting out! Bummer though! They got me working the night shift now till Sept ( I hope it ends there). No one can have time off, so this trip is out for me!

Ya'll have a good time and post some pics so I know what I missed.
    Ugh. Sorry to hear that, richtorfla. I'll make sure that I take a few shots. I hope your job lets up some time soon!

Quote Originally Posted by romany View Post
    that's my favorite river in the state. I'll be up for a week in September to see some land I have near Worthington Springs. Let's kayak the Itchetucknee then!
    Maybe. Never kayaked in my life, but I'm willing to learn! I've used a canoe before, and it wasn't that hard...maybe I'll rent one come September. Keep me in mind when you make it on down!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Sounds like fun. I'll have to check the calendar. I was hanging at Florida Caverns State Park last weekend. Nice little (and uncrowded) springs there. Did a very quick trip to Blue Spring Rec Area. OMG I couldn't feel my legs it was so cold! If you want to cool off in Florida during the summer the springs are a sure way to do it!
    Cool! I hope you can make this one, JaxHiker. The springs are wonderful.

Note, though, folks, that the springs are only accessible during the day; at night, the campground is not actually right at the springs. There is an air-conditioned "game room" and showers available for those who want to cool off, though.

Really looking forward to this one!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    Figured I'd bump this and see if we can get some more interest. Got a buddy or two that's interested in coming also but I think we can only make Saturday night.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Figured I'd bump this and see if we can get some more interest. Got a buddy or two that's interested in coming also but I think we can only make Saturday night.
    Thanks, Giggity. If you could let me know by Monday (along with an head count), that' be super. I'm going to need to head on up there this coming week one day before work to pay for the site.

@ rottenpossum: Also, spoke with the rangers up there. As long as you arrive before the quota is reached for the day on tube users of the river (2 PM, most times), you can use the shuttle for canoeing. You wind up having to pay the same rate as the tubers, but you'd have to do that anyway.

@ All: Please, please let me know by Monday if/when you're intending on showing up so that I can cover the camping fees for everyone. Since it's dependent upon the number of folks who show up, it's important for me to ensure that I've paid enough for everyone. Thanks!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wanted to go to this so badly but unfortunately I'll be working most if not all of this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sorry to hear that, rottenpossum.

I'll be up there Sunday to Tuesday morning, so if you've got time during that period as well, well...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Sorry to hear that, rottenpossum.

I'll be up there Sunday to Tuesday morning, so if you've got time during that period as well, well...
    Got your pm. Think I'm gonna be on call this weekend at work. Won't find out till Friday what the deal is.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Got your pm. Think I'm gonna be on call this weekend at work. Won't find out till Friday what the deal is.
    Alright. Well, let me know when you find out. I'll head up there tomorrow to pay for the site, so I'll PM you with possible stuff today.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12