As my screenname implies, my name is Dave and I am a Montanan. I'm a fairly experienced camper but in the past few years I haven't done much due to my wife's MS and me breaking my back three winters ago. We both wake up sore in the morning so sleeping on the ground has been out of the question.

But I miss camping! And I've recently lost about 100 pounds and I want to hit the backcountry. As a photographer, I know the good photos aren't conveniently placed next to the road and labeled "Scenic Overlook." I need to get "out there" and day hikes aren't always enough.

So I started researching alternatives to tents and even sketched up some ideas for more comfortable sleep. And I often tend to look at problems by considering the most simple solution - and I hit on the idea of elevation, using air as padding via suspension. And then I googled "tent hammock" and discovered a bunch of wise people who had my idea way before I did!

So here I am, soaking in info before I decide what hammock might be right for me.

I have lost a lot of weight but I'm still a big guy at 6'2" (ok, 6'1" after my my L1 fracture) and currently 280#. I'm likely not ever going to be lighter than 230. But we'll see.

I'm also likely to have my 70# yellow Lab along, though she would probably not be in my hammock. Her name is Kenai and she loves to sleep in her own "den" so she might just curl up under me mor the rain fly.

Other factors in my decision: I sleep hot. I love cold at night, I'd sleep with windows open most winter days if my wife allowed it! However, sudden blizzard is always possible in my likely camping spots in Montana or Alaska.

I also carry lots of extra gear for my photography - tripod, backup batteries, lenses, etc. so I am attracted to the idea of shaving weight on my tent, sleeping pad, bag, etc.

Enough about me though!