Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Uh oh. Sounds like a new thread is about to pop up in the JRB forum...

I'll probably keep both halves since I'll need them for the kiddies in Colorado, but I can certainly see the cost advantage of splitting it with someone. If the Jacks still stuff their own down, you might convince them to leave the middle chamber empty and include an extra ounce (or whatever fills one chamber) in a separate bag...that would make the conversion much easier.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Uh oh. Sounds like a new thread is about to pop up in the JRB forum...

I'll probably keep both halves since I'll need them for the kiddies in Colorado, but I can certainly see the cost advantage of splitting it with someone. If the Jacks still stuff their own down, you might convince them to leave the middle chamber empty and include an extra ounce (or whatever fills one chamber) in a separate bag...that would make the conversion much easier.
    Hmmmm...Someone need to be thinking this thru....

If it is cold enough to need a ZERO degree capability under quilt, does cutting it in half and then using a 3/8 sit pad under the feet and legs make sense? Not to me...Below 10 degrees is time to get real in ones preparations IMHO....However, each to his own, and as always, YMMV...

FWIW, if you do choose to go this route you will need to master the notch for the center pull end cord, 12 end pleats, two side pleats, corner tabs, repositioning of the side ladder loops... Plus add an additional draw cord, several poplocks and a micro binner....OHHHH, almost forgot, and on the modifided ends, you won't get the full design capabilty of the dual differential because the center section does not have the necessary material...but hey, if all you want is half of the world's warmest underquilt, With one end minus its full loft, that will work.... sorta....

Alternatively.... Don't miss the deep introductory special, $60 OFF Sale, until 30 September on this snug fitting, dual differential design, with constant height, body contoured baffles with 22% overstuff of 800pf down.... There are two in stock as I write and the main production run is due about the end of the month....Best price on the worlds warmest under quilt, under 30 ozs, under $300....

Pan

PS... Yes, I know Dutch was kidding
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Modifications/Additions to Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym Hammock & JRB 11 X 10 Tarp

1. 2Question’s Mod. #2 Zippers so bug netting can be used or tied out of way. See attached pic.

2. Cut ridgeline and added S-biner so I can have a ridgeline or unhook it so it's out of way

3. Still use Hennessy-type tree huggers but have started using Grizz’s toggle and rings system on each end for the suspension.

4. Bought longer tree huggers from Strapworks with loops already sewn in. Requested 3-inch loops so toggle fits through loop no problem. Webbing is polyester seat belt webbing. Each hugger is 6 ft. long.

5. Burned hole in original Hennessy hammock stuff sack to make it a BB bag for hammock.

6. Hennessy came with a ridgeline mesh pocket to hold small stuff. I made a second larger pocket to hold a paperback book and attached it to ridgeline.

1. Upgraded to a JRB 11 x 10 tarp. Wanted a larger tarp than original Hennessy when I started using an underquilt on hammock.

2. Started using Figure 9’s on tarp ridgeline for quicker setup.

3. Use micro grip clips on tarp sides to add more “real estate” inside. See attached pic. (Take grip clips off tarp when not in use to prevent fabric being stretched and weakened.)

4. Use snakeskins with tarp for quicker setup and take down. Also keeps wet tarp separate from hammock & other gear.

5. Added JRB tarp tensioning lines to keep a taut pitch.

FYI, something else some people do to their hammocks is soak them in a permethrin solution to keep the mosquitos from getting to them through hammock material. I haven't done this one yet but it's on my list. There's a discussion on the safety of permethrin on this thread. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's safe to use.

Learned about all these mods/add-ons here on Hammock Forums. Still learning! Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-17-2008 at 08:07.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    If it is cold enough to need a ZERO degree capability under quilt, does cutting it in half and then using a 3/8 sit pad under the feet and legs make sense? Not to me...Below 10 degrees is time to get real in ones preparations IMHO....However, each to his own, and as always, YMMV...
    Personally, if I'm in zero degrees I like the idea of at least a torso pad for emergencies. Like if my hands get frostbite and I can't hang the hammock. And if it were zero degrees my pad would be more than a 3/8". I already take a torso-sized pad for my legs in the insulated hammock...this one would just be thicker. At some point the bulk might be too much if it were a 1" pad, I guess. Even if the pad were lighter, that might be a big trade-off. Like you said, to each his own...I'd have to compare them side by side to see which I'd like best.

Haven't seen the Mt Washington in person so I won't comment on the design aspects of it. I'm excited to see it though...sounds like an awesome piece of gear!

And I bet if you offered it in a half version, it would sell!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Personally, if I'm in zero degrees I like the idea of at least a torso pad for emergencies. Like if my hands get frostbite and I can't hang the hammock. And if it were zero degrees my pad would be more than a 3/8". I already take a torso-sized pad for my legs in the insulated hammock...this one would just be thicker. At some point the bulk might be too much if it were a 1" pad, I guess. Even if the pad were lighter, that might be a big trade-off. Like you said, to each his own...I'd have to compare them side by side to see which I'd like best.

Haven't seen the Mt Washington in person so I won't comment on the design aspects of it. I'm excited to see it though...sounds like an awesome piece of gear!

And I bet if you offered it in a half version, it would sell!
    JJ,

I do not have any thing against a torso pad..... Personally I always carry a 10x20 butt pad that has many uses and much value.....My comment was aimed at the thread a while back that championed half uqs and small pads under the feet/legs.... and yes for that range such a pad should be thicker but my read of many posts here and on BPL (extreme UL site) is that the UL crowd often pushes the issue on pad thinness...

In 2003, I used a pack with internal back pad under my legs and a cut down 40x40 pad with cheap felt over it for sweat absobtion on a 52 day hike..... It worked.....It was a hassle....I would not do it again.... JRB and the under quilt approach was born out of this and 17 other subsequent less than fully desirable pad combos.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12