Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Is the bobbin installed properly? There is a right and wrong way...

I've seen this when I'm going to fast, and the bobbin thread pulls out of the tensioner...

With Tex40 thread, I normally use a bigger needle... seems to work better on my crummy machine..
    Thanks John, et al.

The bobbin is installed correctly. I'll also try a #14 but I've sewn a ton with #12 with no issues before. I dunno.

I have read on other forums that using metal bobbins in this particular machine makes a world of difference. You better believe I'll be looking for some tomorrow.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Spit-balling here since nothing's been resolved yet:

- If it's happening on the lightweight fabric only, ensure the fabric is reasonably snug on each end of the presser foot by holding it

- This happened to me when using the Tex 75 + Polypro webbing. I had to up the needle size to a 90/14, and crank the tension up to get it to stop birds nesting.

- Your feed dogs are still gripping well on this fabric?

- check to make sure that your 'new' needle is still nice and straight. The last time I heard a pop like that, my needle had a little bend in it which caused this exact problem up until I replaced it.

If your needle is straight, perhaps there is some misalignment with the bobbin assembly?

Good luck!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Thanks,

Recapping and a little minor info. I said before it didn't happen with t-shirt material, but I was wrong. When changing the bobbin after the birds nest happened, I would run a line of stitches in a scrap of t-shirt and it seemed to be perfect. Going back to the 1.1, it would fail, but only after going faster than half throttle. But last night I tried faster speed with the cotton and got the same darned thing.

One other thing. I believe I can go at any speed, so long as I hold my fabric as it exits and apply a slight pull, assisting the feed by not letting it go slack. Not really pulling, just applying some tension to the exiting fabric. (I'm not 100% sure about this but I'll test it...)

But the birdsnest only happens if I am going faster than half throttle. If I set the regulator to limit it to half throttle, I can sew all afternoon at any speed up to that point.

I still want to try a couple of things but I've been elbow deep in down this afternoon stuffing an underquilt.

I know my needle is new and straight. I usually use a #12, but I'll try a #14 and I'm gonna find some metal bobbins and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Now I have another down pillow to kill.

HFG
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 07-29-2012 at 17:36.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One more thing to try. I know you have brushed out the bobbin area to clean it... but have you actually removed the throat plate? That's the thing feed dogs come up through. There should a some screws holding that to the bed. If you have not removed that, do so and inspect every thing you see. Some where you are having a mis match between the movement of the fabric and the speed of the needle. The timing should not be a problem because that would tend to drop stitches. But maybe there is slippage in the feed dogs which kicks in at the higher speeds.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    +1 on what rev said, and while it's off make sure you don't have any damage to the edges of the feed dogs. I had a small gouge on the side of a feed dog on a kansai that would make the dogs bind at higher speeds. Once those started to catch the hook would jerk (same drive shaft) and drop the stitch causing birds nests. A little dremel action and bob's your uncle.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    Check your bobbin case. The grey plate should slide right off. The black case the bobbin sits in may not be installed correctly, there are usually two white lines that should line up to indicate proper alignment. If the case is twisted to far in one direction or the other the tension of the bobbin when the hook spins will be all out of whack. I see this all the time after some one cleans there machine.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Try adjusting needle position all the way to the right once...just curious
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Thanks,

But the birdsnest only happens if I am going faster than half throttle. If I set the regulator to limit it to half throttle, I can sew all afternoon at any speed up to that point.

I still want to try a couple of things but I've been elbow deep in down this afternoon stuffing an underquilt.
    Now I have another down pillow to kill.

HFG
    A description of almost a charmed life:

Gets "to sew "all afternoon"" if you "limit it to half throttle." Why, the musician and happily married Sting made famous his endorsement of methods for another activity a decade or two ago with a similar claim. "Tantric" something or other.

Not "Singer" or "singing", for Sting. Where does my memory fail?

RR (or anyone knowledgeable.) In your experience, can you always remove the feed-dogs for inspection and cleaning that area without threat to upsetting alignment or timing, at least on older serious SMs? In other words, is that single maintenance independent of the mechanisms for timing and alignment, or does it depend on the make and model of the SM?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-30-2012 at 11:48.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    A description of almost a charmed life:

Gets "to sew "all afternoon"" if you "limit it to half throttle." Why, the musician and happily married Sting made famous his endorsement of methods for another activity a decade or two ago with a similar claim. "Tantric" something or other.

Well, I've always had an "almost charmed" life.

And while I don't necessarily consider sewing to be a sacred act, I can and will "sew" all afternoon when given a chance.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    its the tension is too loose

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast