Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Best Practices

While I realize that I am asking for some pretty subjective responses, could we start a thread to publish everyone's best practices to allow others the benefit of the years of experience represented here.

I'm looking for things like "set up with the breeze" or "perpendicular to the breeze in various situations", or "a silk liner will add additional degrees of comfort without much weight."

Other suggestions may include helpful hints for widow makers or tips to keep from the midnight drop to the ground. Types of thread, useful materials (or things to avoid) or marking material can be beneficial for the DIYers.

Many lessons are learned through error. . . sometimes painful, while others have dramatically changed your view of hanging and camping. Helping others through some of these trials may help them gain experience without becoming discouraged.

This could become a repository for the many pitfalls to be avoided, or suggestions to find a more beautiful view, any help would be appreciated.

Please keep them Hammock related so that we can help everyone with the vast experience that this board provides.
    Last edited by AtHomeDad; 07-28-2012 at 23:02. Reason: Adjusted to keep it Hammock related
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    These don't have to be hammock related, as some of the experience gained while ground dwelling may also be valuable.
    Actually, they do.

You are a Donating Member so this can be moved to the Donating side of the forums, if you wish. However, the focus on this side of the wall needs to remain on hammocks. Some things cross-over, I understand, but we need to maintain the hammock focus.

As for starting a thread about it; you just did!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    OK- I'll start.
    My best practice so far has been to carefully and completely study hammock forums in order to maximize my first outdoor overnight experience. The information presented here is priceless and has guided many of my choices while I gear up.
    I've been able to almost entirely DIY my setup so far thanks to this forum and Youtube.
    Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Resqsarge03; 07-28-2012 at 08:42.

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Actually, they do.
    Let's keep them Hammock related.
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You would think you could come up with hammocking best practices, but it's stricly a subjective experience. That's why you hear so many people say "Hang your own hang (HYOH)".

For me, I would think a best practice would be to make whoopie slings with no smaller than 7/64" to maintain the highest weight-to-breaking strength ratio. In my case, I'm 160 lbs., Amsteel Blue 7/64 has a breaking strength of 1600 lbs., so that gives me a 10 to 1 ratio. That's my best practice for whoopie slings, 10 to 1.

However, others are perfectly comfortable with Dynaglide, but I'm not comfortable with 1000 lb. breaking strength, because that gives me a 6.25 to 1 ratio. Still others are experimenting with 1.9 Tech Line (480 lb. breaking strength) whoopies, which would give me a mere 3 to 1 ratio.

So one person's best practice of "eliminate every possible gram from your hiking gear," would be considered, not ultralight, but stupid light, by someone who doesn't want to end up on the ground.

Another best practice might be "Never use paracord for your hammock suspension because it stretches too much." Yet people do it all the time.

Yet another might be "Never use nylon ENO slap straps because they stretch too much and you'll end up on the ground in the morning." Yet others say they've never noticed any stretching and never had a problem.

HYOH.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-28-2012 at 00:37.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    haven't used silk liner but I like hammock sock. Or with wbbb can add top cover

Practice setting up test gear often.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post

Practice setting up test gear often.
    This is GREAT advice. Practice with your new gear before you go out.

Here's two more:

Always use straps when suspending your hammock from trees.
    (sure, not all the data is in, but remember that Hammocks are not banned in Florida state parks any more because of a commitment to use straps. It's a perception thing as well as a be nice to trees thing.)

Think about your under insulation.
    (this is a big one for people coming from tents and assume the hammock takes the place of the pad- for comfort, yes, for warmth, no.)

(and thanks, Cannibal. appreciated.)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    *When you decide on a spot to hang, always check above for widow makers and hang from live trees.*

A couple of people died a while back when a dead tree fell on them. IIRC they were playing around and one of the people jumped on the hammock the other person was laying in and the force pulled the dead tree the hammock was attached to onto them.

To keep things organized maybe the OP can edit the first post to keep it comprehensive and include every new "best practice" and maybe it can become a sticky thread so that way the info is all in one place.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-28-2012 at 08:09.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    *When you decide on a spot to hang, always check above for widow makers and hang from live trees.*

A couple of people died a while back when a dead tree fell on them. IIRC they were playing around and one of the people jumped on the hammock the other person was laying in and the force pulled the dead tree the hammock was attached to onto them.

To keep things organized maybe the OP can edit the first post to keep it comprehensive and include every new "best practice" and maybe it can become a sticky thread so that way the info is all in one place.
    was on the trail for a few nights with my brother not too long ago and we forgot to look up BEFORE we set up our hammocks. After setting them up I looked up just to realize we hung from live trees, but above my brother's hammock as a couple of BIG limbs that were dead and hanging ready to fall... it probably would have been easier to just move the hammocks, but instead we spent about 30 mins trying to lasso them with our bear bag line and pulling them down away from the tarps! lol I'm sure we waisted time, but at least we spotted them. the moral of the story is to always look up before setting up your hammock.... even if the tree is still alive!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It helps to be looking at the terrain and the trees as you hike, gauging the weather as well as the likelihood of widowmakers. An even-aged stand of trees 6" to 8" in diameter 100 feet up an East slope from a nice stream can be very inviting - especially if you have to leave the trail to get to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast