WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Question Pack Size When Hammock Camping

I've been doing mostly day hikes but now I'm wanting to do longer ones and have started putting together my hanging stuff. Just ordered a Blackbird and an UQ is next on the list. With that in mind, what size packs do most of you use for 3-5 day trip? Obviously my little day tripper won't work but I won't need an 80 liter either. What's a good size that will hold a hammock, UQ, TQ (or sleeping bag), stove, food/water & a change of clothes. As I said, I'm moving on to 3-5 day trips with a go at the AT in the plans. So I'm looking for something that will serve well for that too.
    I never hike alone. The voices in my head are always with me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    For 3 season trips I use an old ULA CDT, around 52L I think.

For winter trips I switch to a slightly bigger Ohm, at 65L there's more room for extra clothes and thicker quilts. Sometimes if I'm doing a lazy trip I'll take the bigger pack and take plenty of food and drink for grazing on around camp.

My basic kit hardly ever changes, it's temperature and food requirements which make me choose.

There's details of my kit on my blogg, switch the ground gear for hammock kit and it's the same. My last trip was 13 days and 194 miles with temps as low as -1*c, I took the CDT and total weight at set off was 8.7kg

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    The general rule is get all your stuff and get the bag last... Once you have all your gear the pack size answer is given to you...

That being said, I can get 3 days out of a 50l eating light... My pack of choice is the kelty red wing 50... It's not an ultra light pack but ultra light and south Texas brush don't get along real well...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 07-29-2012 at 16:07.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I use an AARN Featherlite Freedom, which is 55L in the main compartment, and 12L extra in the balance pockets. For a quick overnight jaunt, I can remove the balance pockets and do well with the 55, and for a trip where I want a bit extra capacity, the total 67L is nice to have. I also hike in places that require bear canisters sometimes, and usually strap the canister to the top of the pack, adding another 5L or so of capacity, which I don't really need but could have if necessary.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my 50L Jam. I have 2 poncho liners for my quilts, and those take a TON of room. I also have a Walmart ccf pad for structure. Once I switch to better quilts and change the pad to a evazote pad, it'll work for ling distance trips just fine.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    I can get my three season gear plus food for that in a ULA Ohm 2.0. Its all in what you have, how you pack etc. Your style is a big thing in that as well. It will change once you go through the motions more. Look at your gear, weight etc and the go for a bag. Its not just about weight and volume. Fit and functionality play in it as well.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The following are all packs I have used or currently use for everything from single overnights to 10 day trips:

GoLite Jam
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa
    Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
    Mountainsmith Ghost

All of the above were purchased used, which means I got them cheap (less than $75 each). If you wait and watch you can find good deals.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    All my gear for 3 or 4 days fits in a Granite Gear Virga. It took obsessive editing and numerous trips to gain the experience to comfortably leave behind things I thought were necessary... and, based on my level of experience, were necessary. There's no ultra light fairy or secret gear list.

It's easy to forget that lots of things can go wrong in the woods and you need to be prepared, so take it slow and easy.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Well I just went through this the past 6 months and researched packs extensively. So you'll understand the direction I took, I'm 51, in good shape but with a really bad knee and back from 21+ in the military. Always dreamed about backpacking and decided to do it while I still can. I say all this because it's a driving factor in deciding how much weight I wanted to carry and guesstimating the distances I'd be hiking. I think these are two important considerations. I decided to try and go really light and I plan on 5-8 mile day’s max. I researched ultra-light backpacking and all the definitions. I realized the lighter I could go the more I'd enjoy it...to a point. So I started to work out and diet to lose my own weight first
    I don't want to go Ultra-light but wanted a base weigh of 15-20 lbs. at the most. That’s my pack and everything in it except food and water. I ended up getting an Osprey Atmos 50 pack. It weighs only a hair over three pounds and is considered to be a very lightweight pack. The pack is extremely adjustable and fits me well. I'm 5' 7", 160 lbs. There are lighter but I wanted a quality pack that will last and can be used on a day hike if I want or last me up to a week.

It's perfect for 2-3 days but you need to pack light. Your choices on clothing will have an impact on which pack you end up. The hammock and UQ will be relatively lightweight but clothes, food and water are HEAVY. I will only take the clothes on my back for a 2 day trip. For 3-4 it's the clothes on my back and one set in the pack. I wear all synthetic, including underwear because it’s light and dries quickly. No place for cotton in hiking except a handkerchief (cotton handkerchief’s clean classes better and feel better on the nose  )
    I bought a pair of Columbia Silver Ridge Hiking pants because they're so functional and extremely light. They can convert to shorts as well so it’s 2 outfits in one. You won’t want jeans or any heavy clothing. For colder weather I'll add a synthetic base layer and if I'm still cold them I'll wear my Columbia rain suit which is breathable. That rain suit is a big consideration because it also serves as an outer layer and needs to be super lightweight.
    The other big weight issue is water. Bottom line make sure you have enough but get a good water filter, learn where there will be water sources on the trail and plan on filtering your own to replenish your water supply on the trail instead of carrying all of it. This is a huge impact on weight and that impacts room in your pack and the pack size you need. I'd recommend you check out the Sawyer water filter.
    At the end of the day that overall weight is a big deal so every little bit of weight adds up. One poster suggested you get all your gear and then your pack. This is very smart but remember to start out with the end in mind. If you buy a lot of heavy bulky gear you will end up needing an 80 liter pack. So consider weight and functionality with each purchase and have your "philosophy" in mind.

Getting back to the pack, I can't say enough good things about the Osprey Atmos 50. I love mine and I believe I could live a week out of it with careful gear/food selection.
    I'm excited for you taking the step into overnighters. To me, making camp and that up of coffee in camp at sunup is what it's all about! And I like the hiking in between too
    Gideon

PS here's a link to the Osprey.

http://www.masseysoutfitters.com/100...Fc7AKgodRk0AJA

I got mine from Massey's when it was on sale. Beware that there's some differences between the 2012 model and previous years models. Packs do have different models in the same series based on year kind of like cars, so a 2011 Atmos 50 isn't the same as the 2012. Google a bit and you'll see the differences. They're subtle but I wanted a 2012 version; you need to be sure when ordering off an internet.

If you can go to a Cabela's or similar store to try on packs that's great; you can always check pricing on the net before you buy.

My current pack is a SMD Feather which is a 40L pack and I can fit my 3 Season gear and food for 3-4 days in it without issue. Maybe more food depending on what I decide to bring.

I will say that it has taken me years to get my kit this small and through many many conversations with some other UL enthusiasts, posting on here and reading "A LOT" not just here but other sites as well.

I would say that you should get "All" your gear together then figure out what size pack you will need (with a rough estimation on food size). Then with this info we can give you some more ideas on packs.

But for the sake of saying, ULA, Gossamer Gear, Six Moons, McHale, Z-Packs, Granite Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, Aarn, GoLite, and many others all make excellent packs.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast