Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Buying a 2nd hammock so someone will come with me? Advice...

Okay, this may sound strange but even though I'm a newbie myself, I'm already thinking of buying a 2nd hammock setup so I can get folks to come with me. Sound a bit pathetic doesn't it...but you have to do what you have to do right?
    My one son came with me a few times in a one man tent but didn't like that too much. I think he'd enjoy it more if he were in a hammock like me. And if I had a 2nd setup I could invite friends to try it and we wouldn't have to be finding a place for their tents. Ever been where I'm at?
    So I'm thinking of a 2nd system that's inexpensive but still quality. My thought was to get a BIAS weenie weight but with a double layer. I'll add 1/4" closed cell foam to that for insulation. Then get their buginator net and I'll set it up with whoopie slings and tree straps using a martin hitch so it sets up just like mine. For a tarp I'll use my original Hennessey tarp that I have since I upgraded to an Edge tarp.
    Seems like a decent setup I'd be happy to sleep in, good price point, and it would keep a friend/my son comfortable. It may not be as warm as my Phoenix under quilt but I don't want to put that much money into it.
    Any thoughts or advice?
    Thanks
    Gideon

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You'll find you're not as green a newbie as you think. Be prepared to spend extra time setting up your companion's hammock and/or teaching them how. Either way, allow more time in camp. On the plus side, you will have more hang options because you won't need to find a flat spot for a tent, too. And you're sharing a great way to sleep in the wilderness.

(Friends don't let friends get CBS. )

That is the best way I can think of to get a hanging buddy. Next job is to see that he enjoys it so much he wants to get his own rig. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Well yes it's a great idea. I have extra rigs and loan them out to keep a friend off the ground. It's the best way to invite friends that have abs. no camping gear too to come along. And WV brings up a good point too. I have to take the extra time to set up mine and their's and make sure they're paying attention when I do. But when it's time to pack up, I let them pack up their's while I'm doing mine. Of course if they need help I'm right there but it gives them more hands on.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I only have one hammock and all my friends snore. Going to keep it that way, especially since Mrs. Moment says I can't take any ladies along camping.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Gideon, I think you are on to a great idea. If I could only have two hammock setups, one would have an integrated bug net like I believe your Hennessey does and the second would have an external bug net. During the no bug season I would carry the hammock without the bug net for the weight savings.

Does your Hennessey have a pad pocket? If so, I would buy a single layer weight wennie and save the 40 dollars and put it towards a second budget synthetic under quilt like the KAQ Jarbridge that costs $115 shipped. I just recently bought one and love it. I believe you said in another post you are 5' 6". The jarbridge is 42" wide by 58" long and weighs 20 oz. I am 5' 11" and could use it as a TQ if I slept side fetal or have extra socks or booties for my feet. With it pulled up to the top of my shoulders on my back my feet and ankles hang out of the bottom. With your phoenix underneath it would give you a lighter 3 season TQ than most sleeping bags when you are solo. The end suspension straps are easy to remove and replace. It would also give you an option for rainy trips without the worry of getting your down phoenix wet.

I love the idea of having multiple setups where the pieces can be mixed and matched to the probable conditions.

Isn't brainstorming fun and expensive?

Andy

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1902885
    Last edited by Full_timer; 07-29-2012 at 20:04.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I went ahead and got an underquilt for my 2nd rig because I thought my son would winter camp with me and I didn't want him to shy away because he had a bad experience. If not winter camping, I think a pad would be fine but I'd definately use the gear myself before putting someone else out in it.

David

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    And if I had a 2nd setup I could invite friends to try it and we wouldn't have to be finding a place for their tents.
    Gideon
    I think that is an excellent idea. It doesn't cost all that much, at least for summer camping. I'm thinking that you won't have any shortage of hanging hiking partners before long.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I was planning on doing this same thing. Wanting a new tarp and just made a nice DIY rip stop hammock for people to hang in that I plan on making a bug net for

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy. The BIAS DL and Buginator became my go-to hammock and now the Hennessy is the loaner.

First of all, I get the occasional calf cramp in the Hennessy. When I get a calf cramp, I panic. When I panic, I can't find the bugnet zipper. When I can't find the bugnet zipper, I panic some more. It's not pretty. An 11 ft. hammock like the BIAS DL is infinitely more comfortable - no leg cramps.

I was initially opposed to an independent bugnet. It didn't seem secure against mosquitoes. However, no bugs get to me with the Buginator. Best of all, it's easy to get out of, if I ever did get a leg cramp. Swing your legs over the side of the hammock and you're out. And another great benefit of an independent bugnet - leave it at home when there are no bugs.

I did buy the double-layer BIAS with the intention of loaning it to people without an underquilt. However, I don't think I'll be loaning it to anyone lest they damage it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast