Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Also looking forward to the responses as I am just about to sew up my first PLUQ. My plan (for now, at least) is to make the outer layer larger by 2 inches. I figure that will give enough looseness so that the outer layer does not compress the inner layer when hung. I plan to leave one end open to add or remove insulation as needed. That is, if the extra 2 inches gives me enough room.
    I always say I'll take pics, but forget to or won't stop to. I have 1 done and two more in the works. The first one was a learning experience for grandson, he is just starting to hang it is about 39.5" x 41.75" with 2 layers of IX. I have one cut out and one layed out. The second one is 39" x 58" this gets you a pretty good sized quilt. inside layer 39" outside layer about 42+. The first one I sewed the top, bottom and 2 inner layers all together along the 58" seems, to much material. With 4 layer to sew thru you have to be very careful to adjust the foot tension or all the material tends to walk on you. other than that it came out ok. Will photo later. On the second one I plan to drop away from the quilt seams and sew Layer 1 of IX about an 1" or so and layer 2 of IX about 1/2" down from that. Much like the diagram for the sew-up quilt drawing. With a 3" difference in top and bottom layers there should be more air space between layers, 2 " is ok but marginal I think and 39" seem to be plenty of width. I will never be in the 20's so it should be ok. 34-36 is all I have been down to with pads and that was backyard in January.
    I will take pics this time.
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Gary,

Thanks for the info...pix would be great!!

Did you do IX because of cost? I liked climashield because it could bedone in one layer but it seems kinda expensive at $16 a yard but I suppose that is the same as 3 layer of IX at $5/yd.

Does the IX look like it is going hold up pretty well?

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Gary,

Thanks for the info...pix would be great!!

Did you do IX because of cost? I liked climashield because it could bedone in one layer but it seems kinda expensive at $16 a yard but I suppose that is the same as 3 layer of IX at $5/yd.

Does the IX look like it is going hold up pretty well?
    I did the IX because it only took 7 yards for 3 quilts. The poncho has some sort of insulation within it so you are just adding to it. The IX was easy to work with and with 2 additional layers would go to mid to low 30's which is all I needed. I am planning on doing a 6.0 climashield quilt this winter. The difference in the poncho liner and a climashield quilt is that the climashield needs to loft and the cover of 1.1 doesn't really add any weight. I don't think from what I have learned that the poncho liner and climashield is not a good fit. Anyone think differently?
    Last edited by GaryBunk; 08-01-2012 at 13:21. Reason: left out a word (not)
    - Gary -

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Gary, I think you are right. The PLUQ even when folded off center, doesn't get a lot of loft. You'd have to cut it in half and add fabric around the edges to really get enough room for a thicker layer of insulation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Well, I just bought 3 yds of 5.0 oz/sq yd Climashield APEX to put inside the PL. Pulled out the old Sears sewing machine and it is not working for some reason. I scrapped the truck bed net suspension idea and will go with lines and bunge to hold it up and the end puckers. I'll try to do some pictures.

Advice welcome!!

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Gary, I think you are right. The PLUQ even when folded off center, doesn't get a lot of loft. You'd have to cut it in half and add fabric around the edges to really get enough room for a thicker layer of insulation.
    I think for something cheap the PLUQ is a good start. If for no other reason than to sharpen your sewing skills. With the different thicknesses and layers you have to get to know your skills. The IX is easy to add and relatively cheap. I think the two I have done are probably 30-35 each. Some claim they are good to 24 degrees. I think one would be wasting their time to add Climashield to a PLUQ. I am going to do a Climashield 6.0 Apex soon. I have been adding 1.1 oz every time I order something, at 6 extra dollars each time I order something I have everything but the Climashield. OWF-inc will sell 6.0 apex on the 1/2 yard, so you are looking at about 26-28 for the climashield. You can make a Climashield UQ for almost the same price as a PLUQ.
    - Gary -

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    OK...I'm confused why it makes sense to make a climashield quilt with 1.1 oz and not with a poncho liner. If climashield gets thesame loft with each quilt why doesn't it make sense to use a PL? I would think that the insulating properties of the PL would add to the warmth of the quilt that would not be provided by 1.1.

Please enlighten me.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    What's all this sewing stuff? mine is dual-use! of course, there were no ties, so I sewed loops at the middle and all 4 corners. When suspending, I drop the outer loops over the inner to create a little slack. If I need extra insulation, I safety-pin a layer of IX in...

took all of 30 minutes to make!

And it's great for summer use!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    I had actually been thinking the same thing about the poncho liners. I am glad to see I am not the only one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12