DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies

ridge behind the knee

I know this has been a popular topic, but my DIY ripstop hammock has a ridge right behind my left knee. This would be the best hammock I've laid in otherwise. I've tried putting my suspension higher, adjusting the ridgeline, laying the opposite way, putting my feet up higher, but I just can't seem to get it to go away.

I have it whipped warbonnet/knotty style. Do you think whipping it differently would help? Am I just going to have to use a small pillow or some clothes? Would love any advice.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I re-whipped mine at the foot end several times to get my perfect lay. Used the method from Just Jeff's site.... http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks for the tip Shug!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well, chalk it up to another instance of HYOH! Per shug's suggestions I rewhipped the foot end to just jeff's style and left the warbonnet whip on the other end. Hung up the hammock and still felt the ridge. Decided I'd just try flipping around and my foot end is now my head end. The Just Jeff whipping at the head seemed to eliminate (for the most part) the ridge behind the knee and was a much more comfortable hang. Might still feel a slight ridge, but not sure if anything would make it completely go away. Maybe whipping both ends just jeff style? Not sure, but this was pretty darn comfortable so I'm tempted to just not mess with it and do the "ballerina pose" if it were to feel like an issue.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took a ridge to the knee.

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took a ridge to the knee.
    A well placed Skyrim joke. Well done Sir....Well done indeed.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Let the RL as far out as you can and start over with it and see if that helps. Another choice is using a 11' or even a dash longer,,hammock. Adjusting the foot end in different heights might help as well playing with it. Retie a dash loose and sit in it then adust the tighteness of the knotting on that end may get rid of it. If its a heavy ripstop material, you might try a lighter stretchier material even. I could never get the problem solved in using a 1.7 single Traveler from Warbonnet as maybe I am too light for the material at 165lbs and can't get it to stretch enough giving me the bad feeling behind my left leg. Just have to experiment. But the 11' Snipe by WL got rid of it for me, and then experiementing with the M90MR and M90T material gives me the best lay ever.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I have much less/to none of a knee ridge issue with my BIAS than I had with the WB. The difference, at least I think, is that the BIAS has its ends gathered with a channel as opposed to gathered and whipped like the WB.
    Being longer & wider may also have something to do with it.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Let the RL as far out as you can and start over with it and see if that helps. Another choice is using a 11' or even a dash longer,,hammock. Adjusting the foot end in different heights might help as well playing with it. Retie a dash loose and sit in it then adust the tighteness of the knotting on that end may get rid of it. If its a heavy ripstop material, you might try a lighter stretchier material even. I could never get the problem solved in using a 1.7 single Traveler from Warbonnet as maybe I am too light for the material at 165lbs and can't get it to stretch enough giving me the bad feeling behind my left leg. Just have to experiment. But the 11' Snipe by WL got rid of it for me, and then experiementing with the M90MR and M90T material gives me the best lay ever.
    The hammock is just 6 inches shy of 11' and it's 1.9 ripstop single which I know is a heavier material but I am weighing in at about 190. I have messed with ridge line and foot height. I'm decently pleased and a lot of times will end up on my side anyway. An 11' might would do the trick, but this was a DIY and I'd hate to do all that sewing again. Maybe I will give it a go a little later, but I do really like this hammock. Thanks for all the advice!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I have much less/to none of a knee ridge issue with my BIAS than I had with the WB. The difference, at least I think, is that the BIAS has its ends gathered with a channel as opposed to gathered and whipped like the WB.
    Being longer & wider may also have something to do with it.
    It is funny you mention that. I have an ENO DN where the ends are gathered through a channel and don't seem to have the issue with that even though it's a much shorter hammock and wondered if that could be my problem. If it is though I may be in trouble because I'm not sure my sewing skills are proficient enough to get straight triple stitches on a channel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast