Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies

A newbs first hang with adventures. (pic heavy!)

After years of car, motorcycle, and kayak camping it was time to try something new: Hammock Camping! A friend (who went on this trip) has one but didn't bring it. He had been talking to me about his Tarp Tent and how nifty it was. It was in doing homework on it that I found the hammock camping.

Original plan: Buy the ENO Double-nest One-Link, yet research from here lead me off that path and into a Hennessy Explorer Assym zip. Happy factor? Way the heck up there!

Thankfully I got it in just a few days before this trip. The idea: A few guys on dual sports seeking higher-elevation camping to avoid the heat and humidity. The hammocks fit perfectly though I did bring along a single solo tent just in case... It was nice having TWO entire tent systems in one side pocket. If the weather got nasty? Storage area! Along with the 3 of us who rode was another who brought a truck, trailer, and the redneck equivalent of a Motel 6. It was a blast at any rate!

So, onto the adventure:

Cruising through the forests after some windy roads. Gravel? Dirt? Clay? Bring it on! (the more technical the better)

Me and my trusty steed, Thumper. 2007 Suzuki DR-400s. Think of it as a reliable budget KTM that goes anywhere!

Found a little natural spring that someone ran a pipe into. Nice source of fresh water!

The first set of trees that I found looked perfect! Only to find out they were about 3' too short. I had no idea just how LONG this thing is! So, second set of trees were perfectly spaced but their trunks were HUGE. I had nothing to even remotely get around them. This was the last set which, if you notice, has a nice tree right next to it. Aside from the tarp being close on one side I never did touch.

(Btw, as I'm totally new feel free to point out any mistakes I made before I get to a place where making those mistakes is a REALLY bad thing!)

I did set the tarp a bit higher as there was roughly 0.0% chance of rain. it was more to keep branches, sap, etc. off and to help aim the airflow a bit. It worked very well for that.

This is with the stock suspension. I got the full Integrated Whoopie/Web system from Stu but as I got it Friday night I didn't have time to swap them out. I think I need to cut the zip-ties and pull back a cover before I can...?

I didn't bring it but also got a Kelty Noah 12. I figured if I get to a place for more than a known-dry day I'd bring it for the bike/kayak, etc. That way I can shelter them and the hammock.

Yes, he brought a trailer that he welded up rigging and turned into a Conestoga wagon, it worked great! Even brought along a shower, etc. He pretty much made a base camp while we scouted the area for adventures.

My friends Tarp Tent which, I must admit, was a sweet set-up!

A bit of the camp site

Yes, a full shower with heated water.

With camp set up it was time to grab the bikes and go. They were more fire-road oriented than my more adventursome riding buddies but it was still fun. We did venture up to Max Patch and I was getting ready to hike it when they balked. They had been there before and wanted to get some food in town.. oh well.

Playing along the mountain roads and taking the odd rest-break to enjoy the views.

Yep, just me...

The sidewalks in Hot Springs, NC are actually part of the AT Trail and the stores were a blast to wander through. I kept reminding myself that I didn't have any room left on the DR... not quite true, but it did save my wallet some damage, especially with the MSR tents!

Meandering back more forest roads and skipping down to Wolf Creek Waterfall.

THIS was a nice relaxing break!!! Too bad there were others already set up to camp. At the top of it there were two perfect tree's just off the trail.... I wonder....

Took a little roaming trip on the bike while the rest stayed at camp. It started closing in..then more, a bit more, I passed a few downed trees that blocked half the trail and then it was a matter of staying in the green stuff up to the waist and hope nothing sent me over the cliff.. Why do I love exploring like this? Especially solo?

Sunset was awesome even if this photo didn't do anything for justice. There were red bands along the trees where the setting sun cut through the branches. Awesome day!

As for my hammock set-up, I used a new cheapie Magellen mummybag (think it's rated to 30?) I got it as a toss-in-the tailbag thing with the idea of rain, mud, etc. would destroy it. naturally it's not a small bag, even squished, and nothing got to it even with some serious water crossings and mud runs last week. Time to upgrade to a Kelty or MSR that packs down to about 1/5th what this one does! I didn't use a pad and didn't feel I needed one.

Things I learned:
    Trees may look the right distance but usually aren't.
    I need to fiddle with the hang a few times to get it right. First time the ridgeline was taut and it wasn't comfortable to flop in. Second time I could bend it about 45 degrees and it was very comfy with a slight ridge. I'm thinking if I had let out the line about 2" more it would have given the perfect 90degree twist and that ridge would have been gone. Either way I slept like a rock! A little camp pillow that folds into itself rounded out that part.

With the early part of the eve still being humid I clipped a cheapie walmart fan ($1.63 in my other thread about walmart finds) and it worked perfectly to keep things circulating while I lay back and read a book. A few minutes of wriggling around to settle the sleeping bag within the hammock and all was good.

Overall, for my first nights experience the only thing that woke me were 3 owls talking to each other. One of them, about 24" tall, landed on the branch next to me. I could just make him out in the dark. I think he was curious to see what I was and he didn't stay long, but it was cool nonetheless.

Thanks for the info, group, it's certainly helped a good bit in setting me down the right path!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great photos and trip report! Thanks for sharing. That scene with the waterfall looked like an idillic hammock spot. I hope you were able to make it there for an overnight?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Hot Springs is a neat place and Del Rio is a favorite place to paddle on the French Broad. There is a rapid on it called the Milky Way that has 6 foot waves.
    Your hammock set up looked good! And that tarp was more than adequate for your rig. Did I miss it, what was the road you were riding on? Nice pics.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic's Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great report and cool bike. Thanks love the pictures too.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    what a fabulous time you had! awesome pics!
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Beautiful area and nice bike! Thanks for the photos!

Something that may help with the tree distance thing: I have a very similar setup, using an Explorer Ultralight and the Hennessy Hex tarp. I've found that if there is just enough room for the tarp, the hammock fits perfectly. So, I set the tarp up before the hammock to be certain of my clearance.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Great photos and trip report! Thanks for sharing. That scene with the waterfall looked like an idillic hammock spot. I hope you were able to make it there for an overnight?
    Not yet but I sure have that on my 'to-do' list. It's hard to get a full weekend off right now but in September it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Something that may help with the tree distance thing: I have a very similar setup, using an Explorer Ultralight and the Hennessy Hex tarp. I've found that if there is just enough room for the tarp, the hammock fits perfectly. So, I set the tarp up before the hammock to be certain of my clearance.
    Hope it helps!
    Awesome idea and just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!!!

Things I learned: Smaller sleeping bag (IE: better quality, more squishable), it might take an extra time or two for adjusting tension to get the ridgline right. Hammock Camping is comfy! Lastly, you start to mentally distance every set of trees next to something interesting as 'could I spend a night here?' lol

Then again, I can't drive past an open field without wondering the basic question: They aren't growing anything on it, they don't have any animals grazing on it... where are the motocross tracks?!?!?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great report and photos! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    That looked like a great trip...

had to read twice about the women of doubtful reputation and only then saw the 1901 sign....

Thanks for the ride along!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Nice trip and report. I miss the Appalachians...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast