Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...
    I hope you do more videos in the future." Merican men swimming shirtless!" Very funny indeed!
    "When you get to the end of your rope,tie a knot and Hang On."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Hikers Gone Wild?

Funny stuff, SilvrSurfr. Jim-Bob and buddies sure were disappointed when their Italian food tasted funny...

I thought I took too many backups of stuff. Glad I'm not the only one. Winnowing discipline is not...terribly...hard to find, but you've really got to get into the spirit of the thing before it works.

I hope you find your happy medium between pack weight and peace of mind!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for posting S-Surfer. I enjoy your humor.

See you on the trail.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Great vids, Thanks! for the coffee i used a melitta coffee funnel that takes the cone filter, but have found that the top of a 1 liter drink bottle works great(same filter, #3). I since have switched to tea, 1 little bag filter included. LoL.... I hope for ur second swim u wore ur shirt.LoL
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I like seeing a non ultralight set up... Someone who carries extra weight just for the mental comfort... I have a serious problem of over packing but I like seeing someone who has the same problem...

Interesting thing to me about the river, its brown... Like almost true brown brown... Texas rivers go from clear to a greenish greyish kind of color... Haven't ever really seen one brown... But just a side note...
    I know in Fla. the brown comes from the(tannins) or tanic acid from cypress tress and swamp vegetation. from the vids I would say some of the same.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crackrbilly View Post
    I know in Fla. the brown comes from the(tannins) or tanic acid from cypress tress and swamp vegetation. from the vids I would say some of the same.
    in the pines it comes from cedar trees, but yes, it's the tannic acid. the red on the bottom is from iron ore
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While the brown coloring of the water may be disconcerting, it's really quite tasty. Back in the 19th century, sailing ships used to load up on Pine Barrens water for long trips because the tannins make it relatively impervious to bacterial growth.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    While the brown coloring of the water may be disconcerting, it's really quite tasty. Back in the 19th century, sailing ships used to load up on Pine Barrens water for long trips because the tannins make it relatively impervious to bacterial growth.
    When I was up in some parts of the Yukon and Alaska, many of the otherwise crystal clear streams were the color of strong dark tea, from the tannic acid leached in from the surrounding vegetation. Or so I was told by the locals.

So, does water heavy/dark with tannic acid need treating, or is it already effectively chemically treated?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I was up in some parts of the Yukon and Alaska, many of the otherwise crystal clear streams were the color of strong dark tea, from the tannic acid leached in from the surrounding vegetation. Or so I was told by the locals.

So, does water heavy/dark with tannic acid need treating, or is it already effectively chemically treated?
    I filter it, but that's (in part) due to the large component of the state's revenue from agriculture. It's likely (though not absolutely certain) that certain cow...byproducts...have washed down from the fields and into the streams due to runoff. So, I filter. Now, if I was in an area like the backwoods of Alaska, well, I might chance it; there are a lot fewer sources of contamination up there.

I will say that chemical treatment of it is likely to take longer than with clear water, due to the amount of stuff that protozoa and bacteria have to cling to in there. Though the tannin particles are tiny; I don't know of a filter system that eliminates them. Maybe the Sawyer purifier (the one that catches virii)? I dunno...

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...So, does water heavy/dark with tannic acid need treating, or is it already effectively chemically treated?
    Buck Tilton says you must treat it. Click HERE. Other sources do mention some anti-microbial properties of tannin, but not broad enough to kill all pathogens and protozoa.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast