Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Wow! 16 Yards is a LOT of Fabric...

The 1.9 sil I ordered from Rockywoods arrived yesterday, and I just got around to unfurling it to lay mark out the pattern for my Hex Cat tarp. Looks good, except "foliage green" is a lot darker than their page described. I don't really care since it's still green, but I did have to get matching thread (which is really difficult, being red-green colorblind )

I think I'll be completing this project pretty quickly, since my whole apartment is now invovled I'll be tiptoeing around the perimeter of my living room for the time being, though. Hopefully I'll finish sewing the first tarp in a couple days, and the second even faster (and hopefully better).

I found a wall long enough to hang fabric to mark the longest (5') cat-cut, and I'll buy a chalk-line to "rough out" the general polygon tomorrow. Are they any other tools I should pick up before diving in (yes, I have scissors )?

The sil I ordered is 61" across (close enough for the hex-cat plan, which calls for 62"), where do ya'll go to get stuff wider than that? I didn't find sil (or any ripstop) anywhere over 60" wide besides Rockywoods.

TCB

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sew the ridgeline FIRST!
    Don't ask me why I know this
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    +1 on the Chalkline. I was making an under quilt (well attempting to) this weekend. After sharpening my marking pencil the 5th time in only three lines, my pea brain thought of the chalkline. And I would recommend looking for the chalk that is not WATERPROOF. The waterproof does wipe off of DWR or silnylon but it will stick to everything else and is a small pain to get cleaned up.

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Sew the ridgeline FIRST!
    Now, when you (all) say "sew the ridgeline first" do you mean to sew the two halves together before cutting the profiles, or just before hemming the edges?

I'll probably do the former (it's just as easy to join uncut pieces as cut ones along a straight seam), but I'm curious. I assume hemming first will distort everything pretty badly due to the curves, making a straight-sewn ridgeline impossible.

Is there any benefit to sewing long seams like the ridgeline in "stages" where the thread is backstitched and cut periodically? Or is it stronger to run a single stitch the whole length?

Lastly, is there any benefit from reinforcing the main seam with a layer of tougher-wearing cloth? Or do these tarps tend to wear out at the attachment points before the ridgeline area?

Is there any advantage to binding the edges as opposed to rolling them (other than cosmetic)?

TCB

***UPDATE***
    First stich up the middle is in the can; not bad at all. So far so good . I will say the chalk line was extremely helpful, I'd rank it as a necessity in the process, to be honest. Tomorrow I'll finish the profile cuts with the tarp folded, then complete the felled seam.
    ***UPDATE***
    Felled seam is complete, turned out very straight Needle wandered off the "fell" since I was stitching right on the edge and I had two re-stich about 1/4" (big deal )
    Last edited by SteelToe; 08-07-2012 at 21:24.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG burrow &pheonix
    Suspension
    Rings & straps
    Images
    Sounds like it will turn out good. Good idea on the chalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    {...}The sil I ordered is 61" across (close enough for the hex-cat plan, which calls for 62"), where do ya'll go to get stuff wider than that? I didn't find sil (or any ripstop) anywhere over 60" wide besides Rockywoods{...}
    DIYGearSupply.com has some that goes up to 66" if you're willing to go for 2nds
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    DIYGearSupply.com has some that goes up to 66" if you're willing to go for 2nds
    Add Quest Outfitters to the list for that wide silnylon.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    that's an excellent video on the FF seam. just a polling question, how many people go with the normal FF or the hybrid one that is done via DIY Gear Supply?
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHanger View Post
    that's an excellent video on the FF seam. just a polling question, how many people go with the normal FF or the hybrid one that is done via DIY Gear Supply?
    I go with the normal FF seam, however, the hybrid is much easier to deal with, especially if you are new to thread injecting. SYOS (Sew Your Own Seam)

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Question Quick Question:

Upon closer inspection of the DIY Gear Supply plans, I notice there is no dimension given for the corner tie-out reinforcement triangles.

Is there a preferred size for a medium-weight (1.9 sil) tarp? The material I'm using is 200 Denier Oxfod nylon.

TCB

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast