Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends

Need Help: Setting Up Hammock

This is dumb, I know...However there are so many really creative people on this site.
    I have a heart condition, I can not use my arms over my head except for a couple of minutes at a time. I can not work the lines with my HH. I tried whoopie slings, but I had too much trouble getting everything lined up. Things like distances between trees, trying to work where on tree is on higher ground than the other tree. Most of the time the the trees are too close together. I am also having problems, because I can not risk falling since there seems to frequently be a big rock or stump under where I want to hang my hammock, I have to be sure the hammock does not drop suddenly. I had my stock HH slip last night for the first time. No damage this time, I was up high enough that I did not hit the ground.
    I wanted to leave the suspension stock, for my daughter to use, however, I have to do something different for my use, I do not like having to have someone else hang the hammock for me. Plus I can not get Hennessy's knots untied, especially when they are wet, which is most of the time.
    I read through the prior posts, so many ideas, I really do not know which will allow me to get the hammock up with my arms over my head for the shortest period of time. Oh ya, I am short 61.5 inches.
    Thank you in advance for constructive input.

I found the quickest way to be a tree saver strap and woopie slings. Wrap the tree saver around the tree once or however may times you can, thread the "loose" end through the other eye of the tree strap and then clip the 'biner+woopie to it and that's that :-) not sure if there is a faster way... but this one only takes seconds per side

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Ditch the Hennessy stock suspension. Nobody will miss it. I don't understand how whoopie slings (replacing, not supplementing the Hennessy stock suspension) don't work for you - it's the most adjustable system, in my opinion. Very little fiddling.

A strap suspension might be an option - there are many who swear by its convenience.

Regardless of which suspension you settle on, you're going to have to practice, on different trees, different distances, etc. You should be exploring your limitations in a controlled environment, rather than winging it when you're trying to set up camp.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    For every 10 responses you're likely to get 11 unique opinions

Go ahead and stick with the stock Hennessy suspension. But I'd recommend getting away from the figure-8 lashing so you can adjust easier and clip on faster and not spend so much time with your hands adjusting knots or Whoopies. I recommend you pick up new straps with daisy chain loops like the KAMMOK Python straps or the new ENO Atlas straps. They both offer a lot of adjustability.

Pick up a nice set of wire gate carabiners.

One way would be to tie off a figure-8 on a bite on the stock Hennessy rope close to the hammock and then clip the carabiner from this loop to one of any loops in the daisy chains on the straps. I think the advantage here for you would be no tinkering with knots (at least not after you set up the first figure-8on a bite) and you can quickly and easily adjust the hammock without exasperating your condition.

If simple knots are okay, you could belay the fixed knot on the rope and tie a slippery larks head knot from the rope to the carabiner clipped to the webbing strap, but I think my first recommendation is probably easier.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm still trying to find the dumb part of your post. Not having any luck there.

I'm a beginning hanger, but I've set my rig up many times with many different techniques.

This is the method I picked that I can set up in about a minute:

Tree huggers > marlin spike hitch > whoopies > wire gate carabiner > hammock.

I attach the tree huggers chest high and everything else goes down from there.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Regardless of which suspension you settle on, you're going to have to practice, on different trees, different distances, etc. You should be exploring your limitations in a controlled environment, rather than winging it when you're trying to set up camp.[/QUOTE]

The deal is I had most things under control except the trees being too close together, and issues with rocks or stumps under where I want to hang.

I did a DOA bit last year (49 weeks to be exact), I am short, which means that I have to stand as tall as possible and reach as high as I can to get my straps up. Arms over my head mean my Blood Pressure which is already low goes lower, my heart does odd things and I pass out. I refuse to stop going camping, I dislike having someone help me, so I have to learn a different way of doing things. I absolutely can not manage ground dwelling. I am fighting to keep doing something that I receive great enjoyment from. I can test in my back yard, however that is not going to help me in the field. I just have to find someone who can think out of the box, I know a lot of the members on this site, "think outside of the box".

And,ya, I have done all the medical stuff, except a heart transplant, which I refused.

Anyway that is why I am asking for help, I think my situation is a little off the beaten track. I beleive in knowing what I am doing before I get out in the field, and it has saved my life a few times. My situation is not really lack of knowledge/experience but lack of creativity.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Ditch the Hennessy stock suspension. Nobody will miss it. (snip)
    A strap suspension might be an option - there are many who swear by its convenience. (snip)
    I agree here. I would recommend something like the stock WBBB strap suspension with some carabiners. Very easy to setup, your arms would only be up long enough to wrap the strap around the tree and clip the biner. After that, you have almost infinite adjustability (within reason ) with the strap suspension.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Sorry to hear about your condition, but i admire your desire to keep on and adjust as needed. My comment is not so much about your suspension, but would it be possible to put on your tree straps/suspension attachment and then push it further up the tree with a stick or hiking pole. I know it might take a moment or two but it might allow you to do the tricky parts with your arms down below your shoulders.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    GO, Ironfish, GO!!!!! You're a rock star!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The absolutely* easiest and most simply, zero knot and 1-piece solution is straps and biners with a cinch buckle.

The straps stay connected to the hammock at all times, never anything to lose or get separated. To deploy just bring the strap around the tree, and clip the biner around the strap. Pull the hanging strap at the cinch buckle to get the hammock to the desired height.

While there might be other more elegant, lightweight, etc... solutions this one has a few benefits:

1. All parts are permanently attached.
    2. Can be deployed with only one hand.

Like others, it is extremely adjustable due to the cinch buckle. (Use the buckles from OnRope (not the double rings, D's or triangles.)

*absolutely is defined as "for me".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast